• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vortex, Arken, Burris, Athlon Optic

Jonathan1849

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
Alabama
Looking for insight mainly! I own one of each and I wanted to see what everyone else was at in terms of brand loyalty. I have a Gen 2 Vortex, the 5-25x56 and a 5x25 Arken an love them both, and between looking at the Burris and anthon I just wanted to see if there are any amazing reviews that could help lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: DubfromGA
I have a bunch of Vortex scopes and optics, and 4 Arkens (3 SH4 Gen2, 1 EP5), and am thoroughly impressed with my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C and all 4 of my Arkens. I think in the sub-$1,000 category, the EP5 and Strike Eagle 5-25x56 will be REALLY hard to beat.

Never used an Athlon, and haven't looked through a Burris in probably 20 years...So, no idea.

What are you trying to figure out? What's your MO?

I have a bunch of Vortex scopes and optics, and 4 Arkens (3 SH4 Gen2, 1 EP5), and am thoroughly impressed with my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C and all 4 of my Arkens. I think in the sub-$1,000 category, the EP5 and Strike Eagle 5-25x56 will be REALLY hard to beat.

Never used an Athlon, and haven't looked through a Burris in probably 20 years...So, no idea.

What are you trying to figure out? What's your MO?
Well the biggest thing on my list is mainly a brand that has little....issues? I know thats a rough term but currently ive been eyeing grid reticles, similar to the Gen 3 1-10, and their 6-36x56 vortex, on the XTR3 Burris, the Scr2 reticle, and I believe the sh4 Arken. I could be waisting time, but whats the trade offs between say arken and Vortex? Both are crisp retic, jap glass, lifetime warranty, (Ill even throw in Burris for others that can pitch in). All 3 seem to have the same amount of "praises". I guess if all 3 were laid out what would be the biggest characteristic differences?(amd I know size/weight differ, and obj lens, and zoom)

Burris stepped up their game with the XTR3, impressive glass. If they have had a lot of issues, there weren't many posted here. You can get the 3.3x18 at Cameraland for $1,000. Note that these are not illuminated.

The new illuminated XTR3i will be out soon and has been said to be in the same price range but production will be in the Philippines vs USA.

I've only compared my XTR3 to a Gen2 Razor and Atacr 7-35. As for images, it didn't give up anything to the G2 and no way the Atacr was worth another $2300+.

From my post yesterday on a different thread.

The Cronus BTR is AWESOME for the money. I had paid $1,250 for mine, but I think Camera Land had them for $1,000 delivered a while back.

I purchased an Athlon Cronus BTR (gen 1) 4.5-29x56 about a year ago. I paid $1,250 delivered for the scope. The scope is manufactured at the LOW factory in Japan. I test this new Steiner M7xi ($2,774) scope against the Cronus today.

IQ: The Cronus has a clearer image over the M7xi, especially going above 20x.

CA: The Cronus has about 3-4x less CAs than the M7xi. The M7xi was fairly prevalent while I had to really search for any CAs with the Cronus.

Tunneling: There was no tunneling with the Cronus while tunneling existed from 4x to 5x with the M7xi.

Turrets: Turrets were far more positive on the M7xi while the Cronus was less “clicky’ and felt a tad mushy.

Sa far, I much prefer the Cronus regarding CAs and IQ.

Reactions: TRPrecision
From my post yesterday on a different thread.

The Cronus BTR is AWESOME for the money. I had paid $1,250 for mine, but I think Camera Land had them for $1,000 delivered a while back.

I purchased an Athlon Cronus BTR (gen 1) 4.5-29x56 about a year ago. I paid $1,250 delivered for the scope. The scope is manufactured at the LOW factory in Japan. I test this new Steiner M7xi ($2,774) scope against the Cronus today.

IQ: The Cronus has a clearer image over the M7xi, especially going above 20x.

CA: The Cronus has about 3-4x less CAs than the M7xi. The M7xi was fairly prevalent while I had to really search for any CAs with the Cronus.

Tunneling: There was no tunneling with the Cronus while tunneling existed from 4x to 5x with the M7xi.

Turrets: Turrets were far more positive on the M7xi while the Cronus was less “clicky’ and felt a tad mushy.

Sa far, I much prefer the Cronus regarding CAs and IQ.
Have you tried the Argos 8-34 at all? With the APMr reticle?

I have an Athalon Ares BTR, Midas Tac, Argos BTR and i had a lower line that i can't recall that i gave to my brother-in-law. no problems with any of them... they are not perfect, but adequate glass, adequate turret feel, nice reticles. overall i like the ones i have.
I have a Burris MTAC, two Veracity, four XTR2's and just got an XTR3. The glass is acceptable on the MTAC and two of the XTR2's, and really good on the other two XTR2's and really, really good on the XTR3. Good reticles, and the best turret feel. Never had any problems with any of the Burris scopes. They are just great scopes... i like them a LOT!!!

CRAP, the date got me, didn't realize this was a resurrected thread.

I have an Arken EP4 and Athlon Ares BTR ... The Ares glass has better resolution/contrast, but the Arken has a bigger eye box at max power. I'm happy with both in that I don't feel like either them are limiting factors in my shooting ability/performance.