• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire 6-24 x 50 AO ..... Issues???

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
I've always heard nothing but good things about Vortex. I wasn't aware that they Crossfire scopes were made in China up until just recently. I bought a 6-24 x 50 AO/30mm tube today and had issues with it right out of the box. It had a messed up reticle. I returned it to the store and got a new one. Since then, I decided to do a search for this specific scope to see what I would find. So far, I've read a bunch of negative stuff about the crossfire 6-24 x 50 with the 1 inch tube (that sells for 99 bucks). I still haven't shot it yet, but I am not happy about all the issues I've read about.

My question is ...... Did Vortex have problems with the 6-24 x 50 AO with the 1 inch tube, and did those problems cross over to the scope with the 30mm tube?? I'm starting to think I made a mistake buying this scope. Anyone have any knowledge of this??

If I'd have known it was made in China, I would have bought something else. I was under the impression that all of Vortex's products were made in the USA. I've also heard nothing but good things about Vortex. But, it appears that all these good things only apply to "EVERY OTHER SCOPE" they make and not the one I was stupid enough to buy.

Any info concerning the history of these problems or has first hand knowledge would be great.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 6-24 x 50 AO ..... Issues???

I'd try to return it. There seem to be way too many problems with the Crossfires. IMO it's a mistake for them to even have those in their lineup, because it's going to give them a bad name. People that buy their cheapest model are going to think their scopes are all like that. That said, when having issues they will at least take care of you.

I believe the Razor is the only scope they have made here. The Crossfires I believe are made in China and the Vipers are made in the Philippines.

I went thru a couple of the 1" Crossfires that had issues with the adjustments moving under recoil on my .308 Win. calibered PSS. They sent a repaired 30mm Crossfire back mistakenly and it also had the same issue. I ask to upgrade to the Viper line and they allowed me to do that for some extra $100......still cheaper than getting the Viper in the first place. I liked the 1" Crossfire enough to get another one from SWFA to put back on my .22 rf 40X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the Razor is the only scope they have made here. The Crossfires I believe are made in China and the Vipers are made in the Philippines.

</div></div>

i dont believe the razors are made in the us. i think they are made in japan. the biggest problem with the corssfire is folks expect them to run like pst. you dont buy chevy corsica and expect it to outrun a corvet do you? however the corsica will run. if the crossfire doesn't work vortex will make it right, but dont expect it to preform like a razor

My crossfire out of the box has a canted reticle (way more than 5°), doesn't subtend where it's supposed to, and has way too much play in the knobs.. The knobs will have a full click's worth of play so that you can't tell exactly where you are.

So yeah, they suck, if they're all like that. The above post hits the nail on the head about not needing this in their product line if they are trying to have the reputation that they seem to be gaining. And about purchasing a corsica and expecting it to run like a vette? I don't see a comparison...

The Vortex crossfire 6-24 x 50 was the worst scope I have ever owned. Figured for $99 and it being a Vortex it would be a nice scope for a .22 target rifle. The first shot down range the reticle started rotating. We're talking .22 cal recoil and it was moving the reticle around! I immediately boxed it up and returned it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex crossfire 6-24 x 50 was the worst scope I have ever owned. Figured for $99 and it being a Vortex it would be a nice scope for a .22 target rifle. The first shot down range the reticle started rotating. We're talking .22 cal recoil and it was moving the reticle around! I immediately boxed it up and returned it. </div></div>

and did they send you a new one? if so thats pretty good service for a 99 dolalr scope. try that with ncstar or barska and see how far you get

I have one of the 1" Crossfires from SWFA. Its on my 40XB. I don't have any issues with it at all.

I knew going into it that it was a cheap Chinese scope with a lifetime warranty.

I now own both ends of the Vortex line. The Crossfire on the bottom and the Razor on top. They are as different as their price tag would lead you to believe.

I just mounted my crossfire to my savage 308 and have about 25 rounds through it so far, I hope I don't have any of the problems I've read about. Howeverm if I do I will definitely be asking to upgrade.
--Mech

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex crossfire 6-24 x 50 was the worst scope I have ever owned. Figured for $99 and it being a Vortex it would be a nice scope for a .22 target rifle. The first shot down range the reticle started rotating. We're talking .22 cal recoil and it was moving the reticle around! I immediately boxed it up and returned it. </div></div>

and did they send you a new one? if so thats pretty good service for a 99 dolalr scope. try that with ncstar or barska and see how far you get </div></div>

Um no after that I wanted to have nothing to do with that particular scope. I returned it and asked for a full refund which the vendor kindly provided. For $100 bucks I would expect the reticle to not start canting and rotating after firing a .22 cal bullet. The scope should work as advertised or else it's nothing more than a $100 paperweight. Vortex is a good company, but that particular scope/model I can not speak well about.

^ this is true... to add to my previous post which I had to cut short this morning...

Yeah ok I get it, it's not a built like a brick shit house, FFP, top shelf work of art, but for $200 I'd expect it to at least do something right. I could probably pick up a centerpoint or some kind of cheap bushy off a peg at wally world and a worst expect the reticle to hold still or the knob to track on some level on a .22LR...

It just doesn't fit into what I've been hearing about Vortex. Mine's getting sent back here this week.

Give Vortex a call they will defiantly make it right! I have a Crossfire and I am completely happy with it. I also have a PST and love it. Had to send the PST back and received a new one in one week. Great company to deal with. I wouldn't think of buying anything else with the customer care you get. Ever manufacturer is going to have problems it is how they take care of you that matters.

well thanks for the input. The good thing is, all the people that have complained about thier crossfires so far have had the 1 inch version. Do the problems with the 1 inch version cross over to the 30mm version??? Who knows at this point.

I went with Vortex because I own a couple of thier red dot sights and really like the quality. I've also read on all the forums how great the vortex scopes are. Didn't realize there was such a difference in the different lines of scope .... till now. I was going to just buy a centerpoint from wally world to get me buy (just bought the rifle and short of funds for glass) .... but, I decided to get the best scope I could afford at the time and went with the crossfire.

Well, I appreciate the input so far. I'm hoping this thing will hold up. But, since my scope base won't arrive till the 27 of december. I guess I'm not going to the range to try it out this week.

I have a Crossfire 8-32x50 that has a 30mm tube. I had it on my .300wm for a few hundred rounds and had no problems. It was always considered temporary, but it was hard to to spend $1,600 to upgrade a $250 scope that was fine. I'm going to put the Crossfire on a .223 or .22 trainer type rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The good thing is, all the people that have complained about thier crossfires so far have had the 1 inch version. Do the problems with the 1 inch version cross over to the 30mm version??? Who knows at this point.

</div></div>

You were asking about the 30mm version in the OP. That's exactly what I was referring to in my post. 30mm sux too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a viper over the Crossfire ... u can find them on sale for 350 </div></div>

+1

I have two of the 6.5-20X50 Vipers, may not have the target turrets or a ultra cool mil dot reticle, but the glass and tracking are superb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mechanicalmehem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just mounted my crossfire to my savage 308 and have about 25 rounds through it so far, I hope I don't have any of the problems I've read about. Howeverm if I do I will definitely be asking to upgrade.
--Mech</div></div>

Well another 20 rounds or so and I have the reticle starting to turn on me....yay
--Mech

damn, wish I hadn't of read this post. I asked for the SWFA 99.00 Crossfire special from my wife for Christmas, to put on my 10/22. I have Viper Binos and a 4-16 ffp PST, and I used to own a 6.5-20 Viper, and I have been more than happy with all of those products. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes...maybe I'll get a decent one?