• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex fluting - SA Remington

Boltfluter

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Haines, Oregon
Hey Guys,

These got booted from the pic section pretty quick. For those that missed it. The latest style. Thanks Guys.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

VORTEX034Large.jpg

VORTEX036Large.jpg

VORTEXLarge.jpg

Re: Vortex fluting - SA Remington

That looks great! Can you do that on a SA Howa bolt?

Billyboy,

Unfortunately, on a Howa, the extractor would get in the way if it looks like the bolt below.

Regards, Paul.

Howa004.jpg

SavageMOA,

Savage runs 95.00(hard on tooling) and Remington runs 85.00. Plus shipping/insurance of 12.00. Thanks.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

Tag! That just changed my mind on having mine fluted eventually! Will this work for a savage?

What's the turnaround on that?

Also, is that primarily a decorative alteration? Or does it have a functional purpose?

Helter,

About 10 working days or less. Looks cool and cycles very smoothly. Thanks.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helter,

About 10 working days or less. Looks cool and cycles very smoothly. Thanks.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul. </div></div>

Do you need the entire action, or just the bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Billyboy,

Unfortunately, on a Howa, the extractor would get in the way if it looks like the bolt below.

Regards, Paul.

Howa004.jpg
</div></div>

Does this apply to a R700 bolt with a Sako extractor as well?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Helter,</span>
All I need is the bolt body. Thanks.
grin.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">JudasMac,</span>
Sako extractors are fine. As they do not extend beyond the back of the locking lugs. Thanks.
grin.gif

Thanks Guys,

Regards, Paul.

cb_tikka,

No problem on a Tikka. Would look pretty awesome.
grin.gif
95.00(hard on tooling) + 12.00 ship/ins. Thanks,

Regards, Paul.

does fluting serve any real purpose besides looks? i read a post above that said smooth cycling, i'm noticing my new rem 308 5r SS seems abit rough on the pull back ( not sure if it needs lube or what, it has yet to be fired)

and was considering fluting. it it helps.

Minarix,

Fluting will help. But, it probably just needs to be cycled a few hundred times to knock of any burrs and lap in. With or without fluting it will get smoother. Don't just sit there, cycle that bolt. HaHa. Have a good day.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

One of the concerns that I have about fluting is that some folks have reported it chewing on the brass.

Do you have enough experience with this design yet to comment on whether that should be a concern?

Oddball-Six ,

The key to any fluting job is to remove the very small burrs that are kicked up during machining and to have a high enough helix so the case is fully supported. The first bolt I did, I installed the follower and spring with a shell under the bolt and rotated the bolt open and closed. I could feel nothing during the function test. Which is exactly what you want. Thanks.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul.

I'll be doing this as soon as I get my next paycheck. That looks great!

Could i have this type of fluting done to a bolt from a Badger Ordnance M2008 action? And how much would it cost?

Paul, that fluting is one of the better styles I have seen, nice job!

Rich,

Yes, I do bolt khobs as well. Thanks for asking. If you click on my site link below you can check out some that I have done.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul.

MDStroup,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Badger has 3 lugs and uses a guide groove for alignment. I'm afraid fluting could comprimise this set up. Sorry.

Regards, Paul.

Impulse,

No problem.
grin.gif
Look forward to working with you. Thanks.

Regards, Paul.