• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Fury 5000 AB "vs" Sig Kilo 2400 & Kestrel

Anointed1

It's the pills I swear
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2021
    Pacific Northwest
    So the next two pieces of gear I'm wanting to get squared away is the LRF and ballistics software/environmentals. I can't fully understand or forsee rather all the pluses and minuses of these two specific paths and am looking for some advice or input based on experience. My main purpose or use case right now is mainly PRS type events of some flavor...or at least I think. I'm not aware yet of all the different variations of shooting that include some form of competition. I'm sure right now I'm lumping alot of things together as "PRS" that are different in what you actually do and therefore how you compete.

Without getting into too much detail...what I'm wanting to do is shoot with other people what I think is considered long range (out to 1200 yards or so...and longer is fine I guess if things warrant it) in some sort of competitive fashion...I don't care about winning anything really...I just want to have fun and push myself to improve.

I'm getting older now and not sure how much abuse I'm going to be able to put my body thru...a few years ago I could have kept up with most anyone...but a year and a half fight with cancer that ended up with a stem cell transplant and a long overdue back surgery took some wind out of my sail for sure. I'm 100% cancer free right now but certainly have a ways to go to get back to my normal...God willing I'll get there 👍

So the question is...setting hunting possibilities aside for the time being...which way would you go or which way have you ended up as far as gear goes to cover the areas I'm wanting to cover. I've read things in other threads where some say "I hardly ever use (insert here) anymore or take it out, I use (insert here) and get by just fine"

I've knocked off most of the small stuff and purchased what I consider the core of it all...the rifle and scope...those being the MPA BA PMR Pro in 6mm Creedmoor and Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 X 56...Ive also purchased an LMSS2 for spotting hits and maybe reading mirage assuming I'm doing this with a friend who is interested in it all as well...or possibly alone I guess...who knows we'll see.

I've somewhat narrowed down the Environmentals/Ballistics calculator/LRF to the above two choices...trying to strike a balance between needs and money spent I'm leaning towards the Vortex Fury 5000 AB. As far as I can tell all that would be missing is wind data. But even with a Kestrel that data would only be accurate for point of use...not helping with different wind data at different distances beyond yourself and the target. That's where the art of wind calling all comes in I guess...judging those differences and effects and making a correct adjustment.

Another reason I'm leaning toward the Vortex Fury 5000 AB is that I have been given a pair of Steiner HX 15X56 binoculars that are brand new that I could sell to help fund the Vortex Fury's. These were sent to me to replace a pair of Steiners that broke under warranty. I think I could sell them easy enough as they are brand new and only taken out of the box indoors and looked at. If I went the seperate LRF route and added an additional Kestrel...I would probably keep the Steiners so I would still have a pair of binoculars. Considering how expensive fricken ammo has gotten...it's going to cost me a small fortune just to feed the hobby/sport =/

Yeah long ass post sorry lol...just tell me based on your experience participating in these type of events which way you would go based on what you actually use. Maybe some pros and cons I'm not thinking of. And as always...seriously...thanks for your advice and input in advance !!

I dont want to be the first post Debbie Downer, but the need for a quality LRF in traditional PRS is slim to none.

In 7 years of PRS I can't think of a case where the range was off and everyone continued to shoot at it. Ive gone to stages where there have been revised ranges. But those usually occur before the shooting starts.

I carry an LRF Sig Kilo in my pack. I never use it in a match.

Perhaps adjust your criteria outside of the PRS so this piece of kit checks a few of those boxes, and double it as your PRS rangefinder or bino.

Reactions: iceng
    I dont want to be the first post Debbie Downer, but the need for a quality LRF in traditional PRS is slim to none.

In 7 years of PRS I can't think of a case where the range was off and everyone continued to shoot at it. Ive gone to stages where there have been revised ranges. But those usually occur before the shooting starts.

I carry an LRF Sig Kilo in my pack. I never use it in a match.

Perhaps adjust your criteria outside of the PRS so this piece of kit checks a few of those boxes, and double it as your PRS rangefinder or bino.
    Nope that's exactly what I want to hear...what gear is actually being used versus what's not...I've even read where some use the binoculars and hardly use the spotters if I remember correctly....I just need environmentals and the calculator to get the dope and trying to decide in which way =/

Nope that's exactly what I want to hear...what gear is actually being used versus what's not...I've even read where some use the binoculars and hardly use the spotters if I remember correctly....I just need environmentals and the calculator to get the dope and trying to decide in which way =/
    I have a Vortex Razor spotter that I never use any more. It comes in handy on some range trips, but for PRS, I run binos. The 15x56 Steiner HX in fact 😉

Those are excellent glass for PRS matches.

I do see a fair share of guys who run binos next to a LRF or some other piece of electronic gear on a piece of arca rail designed to hold lots of crap. But for the life of me, I cant ever think of a time when one of those guys said, "hey, the yardage I'm getting is way off".

The plus or minus a few yards that you always see won't make a difference.

I have a Vortex Razor spotter that I never use any more. It comes in handy on some range trips, but for PRS, I run binos. The 15x56 Steiner HX in fact 😉

Those are excellent glass for PRS matches.

I do see a fair share of guys who run binos next to a LRF or some other piece of electronic gear on a piece of arca rail designed to hold lots of crap. But for the life of me, I cant ever think of a time when one of those guys said, "hey, the yardage I'm getting is way off".

The plus or minus a few yards that you always see won't make a difference.
    Hmm interesting...so if you don't mind me asking...are you then using a Kestrel for your calculator with environmentals and getting your dope that way ?

Hmm interesting...so if you don't mind me asking...are you then using a Kestrel for your calculator with environmentals and getting your dope that way ?

I do. I use a 5700 Elite.

I figure out my dope and try to come up with a good starting wind speed.

i've been to enough matches that at least require a double check by someone in the squad

the advantage to the fury AB is that it it's binos for spotting (90% of the use)

but when you need it the LRF and ballistics its there

all it needs now is an etched mil reticle

See and I get the feeling...if I was to add hunting in the mix as far as use case scenario...the strong opinion would swing toward the Vortex Fury 5000 AB binoculars...and of course if I bought a Kestrel to go along with it all anyhow and kept the Steiner HX binoculars...even though there's crossover I would be pretty much set no matter what for anything...I can see why it's easy to end up with a piece of kit or two that is not used as much as everything else. I think I even remember reading in a thread that the Steiner HX's were really nice for reading mirage in specific. I guess that's how I would justify having two pairs of binoculars and around 3k wrapped up in them both =/.

I guess I could also just get a Kestrel for now....then later add an LRF for hunting purposes if and when that arises. The drawback to that scenario is during hunting I would be lugging around two pieces of gear and the time involved using them both versus carrying around and using just one with the Vortex Fury 5000 AB's. Of course those would require a guess as to a wind call =/

Choices choices...yeah I'm having a hard time making this one =/