• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Fury HD 5000 Initial Thoughts

Rateoftwist

Gentle Ben
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2017
Apex NC
I just purchased my first lrf binocular. I chose the latest Fury HD 5000 model due to the great price point and warranty. I wanted to provide some initial feedback as a new user to the optic.
Overall I have been incredibly impressed with the clarity of the optic. All the leaves out to 900 meters (max viewing distance clear to nearby woods) were easily noted, and there was no CA, distortion or noticeable color issues looking at the natural environment. I know this is a subjective statement, but the trees almost looked 3D while viewing which was a surprise to me since my only other of binos are a compact set of steiner safari XPs and a WW2 navy 7 power.
I am extremely pleased with the lrf unit in the binocular which provided readings on all natural surfaces (except blacktop road surface in very bright sunlight at about 750 meters (easily adjusted by pointing at the grass on the side of the road). All readings were near instantaneous without delay, but I have only been testing the line of sight mode currently. The buttons were all easily depressed and had tactile features to differentiate the two operational buttons. The programming is pretty self evident, but I come from a naval family that hammers the concept rtfm lol.
Further I had the opportunity to test the rangefinder out in the rain here in NC in the RTP area. It easily ranged out to 900 meters on regular normal environmental surfaces (trees, grass, stumps etc.) through moderate rain (moderate rain... not Louisiana tunderstorm style rain! However, I plan to test in heavier rain as mother nature complies).
Everything works as advertised on the unit, and it is fairly comfortable to hold for long periods of time. My next purchase will be the tripod attachment and guide harness. The harness that comes with the binocular is certainly sufficient, but I prefer better ergos if I can get them. If anyone has any recommendations on better bino packs please let me know.
I am taking these to the range to play with them out to 1000 yards so I will report back on with any further observations or updates.

I just purchased my first lrf binocular. I chose the latest Fury HD 5000 model due to the great price point and warranty. I wanted to provide some initial feedback as a new user to the optic.
Overall I have been incredibly impressed with the clarity of the optic. All the leaves out to 900 meters (max viewing distance clear to nearby woods) were easily noted, and there was no CA, distortion or noticeable color issues looking at the natural environment. I know this is a subjective statement, but the trees almost looked 3D while viewing which was a surprise to me since my only other of binos are a compact set of steiner safari XPs and a WW2 navy 7 power.
I am extremely pleased with the lrf unit in the binocular which provided readings on all natural surfaces (except blacktop road surface in very bright sunlight at about 750 meters (easily adjusted by pointing at the grass on the side of the road). All readings were near instantaneous without delay, but I have only been testing the line of sight mode currently. The buttons were all easily depressed and had tactile features to differentiate the two operational buttons. The programming is pretty self evident, but I come from a naval family that hammers the concept rtfm lol.
Further I had the opportunity to test the rangefinder out in the rain here in NC in the RTP area. It easily ranged out to 900 meters on regular normal environmental surfaces (trees, grass, stumps etc.) through moderate rain (moderate rain... not Louisiana tunderstorm style rain! However, I plan to test in heavier rain as mother nature complies).
Everything works as advertised on the unit, and it is fairly comfortable to hold for long periods of time. My next purchase will be the tripod attachment and guide harness. The harness that comes with the binocular is certainly sufficient, but I prefer better ergos if I can get them. If anyone has any recommendations on better bino packs please let me know.
I am taking these to the range to play with them out to 1000 yards so I will report back on with any further observations or updates.

How is the glass in low light? Think dusk/early morning conditions.

Also, in regards to a bino pack, Alaska guide creations makes a very good set. Different sizes.

How is the glass in low light? Think dusk/early morning conditions.

Also, in regards to a bino pack, Alaska guide creations makes a very good set. Different sizes.

I will check and get back to you with my impressions about early dawn/late dusk

Is the reticle adjustable for brightness? I just compared the Vortex and Sig Sauer Kilo 3000 side by side and noticed the reticle is a deeper red and brighter in the Vortex. A feature I really like. Is the reticle easily seen in bright sunlight or snow with the sun shining?

Based on the amount of rain we have been getting you won’t have to wait long

I got to handle one for about an hour the other day. I Was able to hit freeway signs at 4900 yards no problem.

Reactions: soup1005
Had mine for a bit now but didn't have a chance to really play with it until this week.

Very happy with the glass. Put it side by side with Leica Geovids and a Terrapin-X and while they are not as sharp as the Geovids they aren't that far behind. Spent several hours glassing and never got fatigued.

Ranging was fast and consistent on small trees and cows out to 1500 yards under overcast skies. From 1500-2000 would get ranges quickly most of the time but occasionally take a second attempt to get a reading. Honestly didn't have great success past 2k. Overall ranging was MUCH better and faster than the Lieca Geovid 2200s. Beam was centered in the reticle. TerrapinX is defiantly a step up in ranging ability especially past 1500 yards and has a much smaller reticle which is nice.

Overall impression is a thumbs up. Excellent glass with a very good laser. Not Swaro/Lieca glass but very good for Laser Binos at their price point. The laser is more than sufficient for what I need but definitely not as good as the Terrapin-X. One issue that hopefully Vortex will address in the next generation is adding the ability to lock the ocular focus rings. With a separate focus ring on each eyepiece it is easy to bump one or both. I have them marked but will probably put tape around each to keep them from moving.

Last edited:
I Thought the vortex had a better laser than the TPN-X....
Not in my experience. And I would Not expect it to have a better laser given that it is a Bino/LRF combo with good glass at a lower price point.

Last edited:
I’ve had mine about 3 weeks. The range finder is very good. Ranged a coyote at 1058 yards. Just couldn’t hit the som bitch. I really don’t know what to think of them yet as a whole. The glass is OK. Wish they would have put razor glass in them. The range button could definitely be more tactile. It’s hard to find with gloves on. If anyone has a solution for this that doesn’t void the warranty, I’m all ears. It’s the damn diopetrs that really annoy me. They move way too easily. Seems like I’m always adjusting them. And I know the right one is only supposed to focus the rangefinder display, but on mine it focuses my field of view. So between a left diopter, right diopter and main focus knob, it seems like I’m always adjusting. It also doesn’t fit well in Bino cases. Doesn’t work at all in my kuiu and is very tight in my badlands. So... the rangefinder is awesome, the rest needs some work.

I'm going to stick my neck out here--Careful with that Axe Eugene--and reveal what I've done in similar cases. One of which is the Butler Creek scope snapover caps. Put a small dab of silicone sealer across one smooth side to its opposite smooth side. DO NOT TOUCH OR SMEAR. DO NOT PLACE ON STIPPLED AREA. SMALL MEANS small... If one "bridge" doesn't work then do another. These "bridges" will just peel right off when the time comes without harming anything and leave no sign of its passing. However, if there's a chance to test an area--tiny and remote--you may want to do so, but I've never had a problem and I've used this Styrofoam.

I'm going to stick my neck out here--Careful with that Axe Eugene--and reveal what I've done in similar cases. One of which is the Butler Creek scope snapover caps. Put a small dab of silicone sealer across one smooth side to its opposite smooth side. DO NOT TOUCH OR SMEAR. DO NOT PLACE ON STIPPLED AREA. SMALL MEANS small... If one "bridge" doesn't work then do another. These "bridges" will just peel right off when the time comes without harming anything and leave no sign of its passing. However, if there's a chance to test an area--tiny and remote--you may want to do so, but I've never had a problem and I've used this Styrofoam.
I think I get what you mean....kinda. Am I putting this on the button, or on each side of the button on the Bino housing in which to feel for the button in between?

Seems I recall a photo where someone marked the diopter rings with a white or silver Sharpie. Maybe it was the similar thread on the Sig 3000BDX... Sure enough see the photo I just hi-jacked off that thread. Run an 1/8" x 3/4" bead of silicone sealer--better yet Lexcel--across where you see those lines. Hang in warm area overnight and don't mess with it until you want to remove them.

where to bridge.jpeg

Ok that may fix the diopter issue. But any fixes for the range button?

The bigger question is why do we have to modify expensive equipment to make it useful? The previous generation of this bino had the same issues...

Going on 74 you raise the question: why is it that we are evolving into an ever increasing dependency on others and are slowly abandoning former "norms" like inspecting what we're expecting? I'll spare the reader the philosophical miasma that this Pandora's box stimulates and offer a smidgen of humor. Starting around 1972 friends asked me more and more, "Why do you have to modify everything?" I know I'm not the only one. For the past 10 years or so my last name often has a suffix--a tail if you will--apart from this tale. Now they say, " I see it (whatever is the subject/object) its been .........ized." I thought it funny at first, then became more and more the ponderous question that you pose; now it's depressing. However, if we want things right about us it comes right down to us making it so.

So, tell me about that range button.

The range button is pretty flat. Just has a few small bumps on it. It probably works perfectly without gloves. Except for early season bow hunts, I always have gloves on. During several recent coyote hunts it was very difficult to locate. I had to bring the binos down to find it then back up to range. Annoying. The button needs to be built up somehow to make it more tactile.

The range button is pretty flat. Just has a few small bumps on it. It probably works perfectly without gloves. Except for early season bow hunts, I always have gloves on. During several recent coyote hunts it was very difficult to locate. I had to bring the binos down to find it then back up to range. Annoying. The button needs to be built up somehow to make it more tactile.
Why not use the silicone or Lexcel--thin layer at a time--to build up the button surface to where you were comfortable with it? Again it can be easily peeled off when wanted. I'd be inclined to go slowly with this mod as once you add too much thickness that could bring on more problems.