• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56; Question for current and past users

JonLSU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
I have been eyeing these and really want to drop the $ on one.

I see a lot of them for sale on here. What's the reason so many people buy them and are selling them? $ issues, weight????

Newer shiny baubles. There's nothing wrong with them, but I was about to put mine up for sale to grab something shinier and newer.

Scope ADD. People here have $. Buy/Sell quick. I bought mine and don't plan on selling it any time soon. I paided full retail when it came out two years ago. Weight is your friend unless your hunting. There is no perfect scope!!!!!!!

I would say weight.. I have a new one I'm debating selling and it's pretty much only to shave about 9-16 ounces... My rifle is already a pig to start with..

Loved mine. Sold it for two reasons....dont compete and wanted to cut weight and second, I really wished I had .2 MIL hashes in my recticle because I don't dial wind. The AMG and minox both fit what I wanted better. I'm not rich so I had to move it to grab one of the others.

There is a lot of them for sale partly because people get them for a good deal and want to make money.

They are a VERY good scope and I wouldn't dare to sell mine.

Everyone who looks through it just loves it. It is big and heavy but when your sticking it on a 26" medium Palma creedmoor in a manners and bipod it doesn't really matter.

My rifle is set up for prone shooting so weight isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's an ADD thing mostly. I picked one up and couldn't be happier with it. I won't be getting rid of it.

The gen II Razor 4.5x27's are a proven scope, tough, problem free, feature rich with great glass and excellent value. I own two of them and don't plan on selling either. Weight may be an occasional issue for some but frankly, an extra pound of scope on your typical tactical LR type of rifle doesn't amount to anything (except maybe for the few snowflakes out there lol). Really, so your rifle weighs 17 pounds instead of 16? 15 instead of 14? Big whoop. From the people I know, many just want something new. Same reason some people trade in a 2 year old low mileage car, for something new because it's different, gives 'em that "feel good woody", it's the culture we live in. Nothing wrong with it, its just the way it is. Nothing like that new model! People do it with golf clubs to boats to homes. Plenty of NF & S&B's for sale in the PX on any given day too. There are so many new reticles coming out now that may be one overriding reason, the floating center dot seems to be very popular now as does .2mil hash marks. All good stuff. But if you're looking for a scope that can compete with any top tier model and do so at a price point that's hard to beat, you could do alot worse!

It's a scope ADD/fetish for me. I'm on my fifth top tier scope (Minox). I just like trying them out. Of course I have to sell one to try the next one. It's been fun.

I sold mine because I have an AMG because I prefer the reticle. Truth me told if I could get the ebr 7 in the razor 2 I'd still have it and not the AMG.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

I was happy to get the opportunity to pick up a previously loved Gen 2 Razor for a great price. I would have had a real hard time paying full boat but with someone else taking the initial hit and having to have the newest and greatest, it created a great situation for me. Yes, its heavy. My prior scopes included a USO 3.2-17, Mark4, and several PST models. The Razor smokes them all in every way. My AIAT is pushing 16 pounds with the the 17" barrel and the razor in a Spuhr mount. I may actually look for another one to replace my Mk4 on my precision AR.
My advice is to not worry but rather rejoice in the fact that we have many members of great means and scope ADD.

In many ways it was the best scope I've had in my possession. It has awesome turrets and it's dead on reliable, good glass and a nice reticle.
But there is some CA and the reticle is not the greatest for unknown distance targets. So now I run a 5-25x56 Schmidt with the MSR reticle and while I prefer the razors turrets, the Schmidt is equally reliable and the MSR reticle is great for the type of competition I do. I can't see myself going back.

lol Not an owner but decided to read this since I was interested in a Gen 2 Razor. I bought a brand new Kahles, selling 6 months later simply to get a new scope that will be arguably equal if not lower on the totem pole. I wouldn't look too much into what is selling, as much as what price they are selling at. Also I see a lot of people that sell them end up picking them back up sooner or later.

I have been eyeing these and really want to drop the $ on one.

I see a lot of them for sale on here. What's the reason so many people buy them and are selling them? $ issues, weight????

it depends on what your doing. if weight is a consideration, i would consider something else. that said, i've been shooting a 4-27 since they came out and it works very well and the glass is good.

Only selling/trading mine for something lighter, too top heavy on my lightish build. The AMG feels like the same scope to me but smaller.

Thanks guys. It's going on a Larue FDE heavy. I have a 3.5-15x50 Nightforce on it and want to upgrade. Now that I have the 22in 260 barrel for it, I'll probably be buying one.

Most just want something new and shiny like several have said. I could see weight being an issue for a few and it may sound silly but color was one reason why I ALMOST didn't buy it. Now that I own one I don't plan on selling it for atleast 4 years and many more if their isn't something out that changes the shooting industry.

I will approach this from the other side...Weight is why I did NOT buy one. I am a small stature guy that is out of shape, an extra 10+ ounces is noticed as the day goes on.

Only selling/trading mine for something lighter, too top heavy on my lightish build. The AMG feels like the same scope to me but smaller.

The Gen II is a heavy beast and I almost didn't buy one because of it. In the end the weight doesn't really affect my AIAT that much but on a lighter rifle like a hunting rifle I would go with the AMG or another brand.

Yeah, if I was running a heavier rifle I would prefer to keep it.

Have one and recently picked up a Minox ZP5 5-25X56. Will I get rid of the Razor G2 no bcus it's one fine scope to have. Clear glass, good turrets, and ok reticle...it's a keeper!

In the grand scheme of things, the weight really isn't too much of an issue. It's one of the best scopes on the market. I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if I needed another scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot up for sale lately as its just cyclic. Stick around long enough you'll see the same thing with other brands.