• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Gen III HD 1-10x still tops?

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
I am looking for a 1-10x with daylight bright red dot for 16" 5.56 AR15, shooting from CQB to paper targets to 600 yds and steel to 800M.

From my reading, it seems the Vortex is tops in the application, but I haven't looked at it closely in the last 8 mos or so.

I guess my first question is if there is a replacement for the Vortex in the works. I am not in the know at all, and I woldn't mind waiting/paying for an improved version if one is in the works

Or are there other alternatives available that I don't know about?

Thanks for your knowledge!

I liked my razor 1-10 for the most part. Main complaints were the center dot is large for a precision aiming point, and above 7x the optic the optic was super picky about head position. If you just barely get out of perfect center there was pretty bad image distortion.

About a year after I got it I bought a Eotech 1-10 LE5 when Euro Optic was running a deal for $1250 for another rifle and it had neither of those issues and there’s other things I like more about it too. I sold my Razor and replaced it with another Eotech.

The only advantage Vortex has is the blinding dot and the unconditional warranty. Both of my Eotech are daylight bright though and I don’t need to be blinded, and I have insurance on all my stuff that will cover damage so neither of those advantages benefit me.

The vortex is nice, but with the usual overdone contrast. Bugs my eyes.

I'm considering an eotech as it's the only other quality 1-10 option I've found. Lots of Chinese oem stuff in the $500 range, but they all have cheap optic issues.

Glass is weird, everybody "sees" it differently. I like the atacr 1-8 much much more than the razor as I could never get it quite right for my eyes.

I think the vudu is the better '10x' scope if you are fixed on 10x top end.

***EDIT*** the vudu reticles are pretty garbage for cqb applications so you'll need a different solution for 1x

The March 1-10 dual may be something of interest to you as well since it has adjustable parallax.

Last edited:
As hoody said, scopes can be awfully subjective with what people perceive. I previously had a Vortex 1-10. I didn't think it was a bad scope, but it just seemed a bit underwhelming. I think the common complaints about it being too much of a compromise are correct. It could really use a parallax adjustment feature.

I currently have a March 1-10 dual reticle and absolutely love it. It is expensive, but I greatly prefer it to the Vortex.

Reactions: gnochi
It confuses me why companies do 1-10 in a 34mm body and don't use a 28mm lens and instead stick with the 24

I am very happy with my gen3 1-10. I've had a few others and I like the Vortex best. The vudu is a very scope but I hate the reticle they have.

Glass is weird, everybody "sees" it differently. I like the atacr 1-8 much much more than the razor as I could never get it quite right for my eyes.

I think the vudu is the better '10x' scope if you are fixed on 10x top end.

***EDIT*** the vudu reticles are pretty garbage for cqb applications so you'll need a different solution for 1x

The March 1-10 dual may be something of interest to you as well since it has adjustable parallax.
Yea I mean it's only the most successful cqb reticle (on 1x) ever made and probally put more lead Into foreheads than any other reticle in the last 30 years and is still being used today by the tip of the spear.

Yea I mean it's only the most successful cqb reticle (on 1x) ever made and probally put more lead Into foreheads than any other reticle in the last 30 years and is still being used today by the tip of the spear.
The vudu is a very different reticle than the 68moa eotech donut. Supersetca does a good job demonstrating this in his video he recently posted on this optic. It's clear what they were going for but they missed the cqb boat on this by a mile

I've got a Razor 1-10 and really like the optic. No experience on the Vudu but would like to get behind one to compare and contrast.

If you think about what you're asking for, it's a hell of a list of requirements: from cqb to 800yds. You'd probably be doing yourself a favour by figuring out how you want to bias the performance of your optic: is close range or long range performance most important? You get into a lot of compromises to make a 1-10 and I think the manufacturer has to decide if they're gonna bias the performance of the optic towards the 1x or 10x side of the things. In my opinion, the Razor is biased towards being fast up close on 1x and usable at distance on 10x. If you want an optic that will be at 10x more often than not, I'd get a 2-10 or something similar and just use an offset dot for the close stuff. I've used my 1-10 as you intend to, from 10yds to 830yds but it's certainly not what I'd be reaching for by choice for those longer range shots, I'd much rather a 2-10/3-12 etc with parrallax and an elevation turret you can dial (with a reticle small enough that it doesn't obscure much of the target at distance) .

Thanks for all the reponses. I should clarify that I would probably place a little more emphasis on the 1x/red dot function, since this is a GP carbine that will be my main rifle if ever needed for SD. The 600-700 yd is mainly due to those being the max ranges at my club, and I'd like to take it out to those ranges from time to time.

How is the red dot on the March?

Thanks again for the advice!

Thanks for all the reponses. I should clarify that I would probably place a little more emphasis on the 1x/red dot function, since this is a GP carbine that will be my main rifle if ever needed for SD. The 600-700 yd is mainly due to those being the max ranges at my club, and I'd like to take it out to those ranges from time to time.

How is the red dot on the March?

Thanks again for the advice!
The one that I shot at my club was not what I'd consider "daylight bright".

Reactions: Slick66
I would call mine daylight bright. It is not as bright as the Vortex Gen 3, but it was brighter than the kahles k16i. Bright enough for me, but everyone sees things differently.