• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex HS-T vs Vortex PS-T??

Blhay7

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2013
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a scope to mount on my 300 WM for long range shooting (up to 1200 yds). And I was wondering if there were any major capability differences between the two models. Thanks.

blhay7

Last edited:
if your after ffp the pst has a large advantage otherwise not overly apart from the etched reticle and illumination

EasyGravy, any recommendations on a tougher scope in that price range? I know that you get what you pay for, but I'm on a tighter budget. Also, my gun is pretty heavy with little recoil. It's a Rem. 700 Sendero with an AICS chassis.

If toughness, accurate and repeatable tracking is what you're after, pretty hard to beat the SWFA SS scopes.

John

Thanks John. My only hesitation with them is that they don't make a model with variable power in MOA adjustment. But I am just used to MOA and I don't think it would take much to convert.

Ben

Mils are easy. Won't be a hard switch… And having reticle and adjustment match makes things WAY better.

John

There have been a number of threads regarding PSTs having issues - reticles breaking or coming loose - on magnum rifles. And the HS-T is basically the same scope but without illumination and with capped turrets. Despite the excellent warranty, I wouldn't choose either scope for a magnum rifle. I'll agree with the suggestion of the SWFA SS, ideally the 5-20x50mm model. If you don't like that I would consider a Burris XTR or maybe a used Nightforce NXS.

I would love a NF NXS but at the moment im looking at less expensive options. I do like that I can get a FFP scope for under 800 with the SWFA. Thanks everybody for the input.

Ben

There have been a number of threads regarding PSTs having issues - reticles breaking or coming loose - on magnum rifles. And the HS-T is basically the same scope but without illumination and with capped turrets. Despite the excellent warranty, I wouldn't choose either scope for a magnum rifle. I'll agree with the suggestion of the SWFA SS, ideally the 5-20x50mm model. If you don't like that I would consider a Burris XTR or maybe a used Nightforce NXS.

No capped turrets on the HS-T.

John

Look at an swfa as suggested. I think they will take more of a beating that 300 will dish out. Cant beat that vortex warranty but swfa should take care of you as well. My pst had issues after a buncha shooting from my 300wsm. They took care of it but I saved the pst for my 243 and had 0 issues. Recoil is killler. Also hst is a wire reticle not etched fyi

Does the 3-15x42 SWFA compare well to the 5-20 SWFA scopes? There seems to be a big price difference but spec the same for the most part.

Ben

The 5-20x50 SWFA is a "HD" model (whatever that means - there are several backronyms to choose from) and is made, as far as I know, at LOW Japan, a premium scope maker that also makes the top end Bushnells and Weavers, the Vortex Razor (but not other series), some Nightforce models, major components of other Nightforce models, etc. A company capable of making world class scopes, and the SS 5-20 is a very well made scope. The 3-15x42 is made by an entirely different company and factory, which I believe (but am not sure) is Kenko Optical Japan. The 3-15x is a newer scope. It gets great reviews for its price, but one thread suggested some examples have a reticle issue, and in any event you can't expect it to be quite the equal of the 5-20x when it's slightly over half the price.

I chose the Vortex HS-T over the PST due to price and not really needing the FFP optic... So far I like the glass and think it will serve me well in my quest to possibly reach 1000 yards..