• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Huey discontinued?

I looked through one and decided it wasn't for me. Poor glass, heavy, track record of making cheap scopes, too expensive to not just get a more proven option.

I've seen Optics Planet marks things are discontinued that were not really. The UH-1 is still on Vortex's site - https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-amg-uh-1-red-dot.html with links to other source to buy it, with many noting backorder but not seeing discontinued.

All that said, the above points are valid and it could very well be discontinued. Just not sure I'd trust Optics Planet for the final say on it :)

Reactions: bfoosh006
Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that opticsplanet did that, seems like it could be potentially damaging to optics companies sales.

I looked through one and decided it wasn't for me. Poor glass, heavy, track record of making cheap scopes, too expensive to not just get a more proven option.

Glass on them is fine, they’re about the same weight and overall size as an EXPS3-0, less expensive, better battery life, can use rechargeable cells, better reticle, and it’s in the Razor line so not part of your “track record for cheap scopes.” I like mine so far.

@Scott_at_Vortex any truth to these being discontinued, and if so, why? Thanks!

Ya no one wanted to put a mail box on their guns. So away it goes.

Fixed it for you. And I’ve actually seen quite a few builds with them on there. I hope they stick around, or if they have been disco’d, it’s because they’ve got an updated model with NV or some other improvements.

Vortex has shed the cheap scope maker only since the Razor lines came out a while ago. I'm not a fan of their RDSs though so I get that.

I have one. I was disappointed in how pixelated the reticle is. You can get a much shaper reticle for much less.

Most often, this is from focusing on the reticle and not the target. EOTech models will do the same thing if you focus on the reticle, it’s just the nature of holographic sights.The dot from a laser pointer will appear grainy in some situations as well.

That having been said, just like some red dots will appear to be more of a star than a dot to people with an astigmatism, an HWS reticle will appear grainier to some than others.

Having owned numerous EOTech models in the past, I can say that, to my eyes, the UH-1 is no more or less grainy than the EOTech models. By focusing more on the target like these are designed to be used, it’s absolutely a non-issue for a vast majority of the population.

Nothing beats an Aimpoint T2 for a compact, robust RDS with a crazy long battery life, but to me an HWS is king for close-in, fast “social” work where speed must be balanced with precision. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Use what works for you.

Reactions: The22Man
Holding a UH-1 next to an MRO and T-2, and a Holosun was a joke. The Vortex felt like it was behind the curve of all of them.

The mro has horrible parallax issues, lock the rifle down and move your head around behind an mro, your likely to see 5-10moa shift.

I had an mro, loved the size, the off setting between "3"&"4", the dot was really sharp.... but damn that parallax was bad. I've got a uh1, its blocky but length and height arent anymore than an eotech. As mentioned, the battery life is better, wont delaminate(eotech never fixed), doesnt drain batts like an eotech, and didnt play fuck fuck games with soldiers lives. I still like my old aimpoint m3 and pros, but the uh1 is solid.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know that opticsplanet did that, seems like it could be potentially damaging to optics companies sales.

Optics planet can discontinue whatever they like.

Don't take a retailer discontinuing carrying a product as the manufacturer discontinuing making a product.

I don't understand why anyone would ever buy anything oyher than an Aimpoint. With the price of the PRO its a no brainer.

Because red dot vs holographic.

I won't buy an aimpoint. My brain works way better on the eotech reticle and I can see it clearly. Astigmatism sucks. Sure, glasses cure it but for a truck gun I'll take the one I can see without glasses.

Also, I get a .5 moa shift from 100* to -10*. Not enough to worry about. It's just stuff moving from temp change.

I don't understand why anyone would ever buy anything oyher than an Aimpoint. With the price of the PRO its a no brainer.

I’m a devoted Aimpoint fan, but at the price of the UH-1 and with how my astigmatism is ever so slowly getting worse, the 2MOA dot in my T2s is starting to star out from time to time, so I’m exploring other options so I’m ready. The Huey works great. Batteries aren’t THAT expensive, so I’m not too overly worried about that. My next item to check out is a green TA44 w/ ACSS, but I have a rifle to glass still, so the TA44 will have to wait a bit.

But astigmatism is a huge reason why folks buy something other than a red dot. Lots of other viable options outside Aimpoint, despite how much I love them.

Glass on them is fine, they’re about the same weight and overall size as an EXPS3-0, less expensive, better battery life, can use rechargeable cells, better reticle, and it’s in the Razor line so not part of your “track record for cheap scopes.” I like mine so far.

This.

Optics planet can discontinue whatever they like.

Don't take a retailer discontinuing carrying a product as the manufacturer discontinuing making a product.

It said discontinued by manufacturer.

Screenshot_20200316-055410_Chrome.jpg

Response I received.

The UH-1 has not been discontinued. It's just on a bit of a backorder right now. Plan to see some going out the door late spring.

All the best,

Ken Calhoun
Vortex Optics | Sales & Technical
One Vortex Drive
Barneveld, WI 53507
800.426.0048 ext. 1314
www.VortexOptics.com

I would bet it's more like, they don't care what's going on. Probably just had some extra to sell.

Reactions: lash
Per Vortex it seems to be discontinued but something new may be coming.

Does anyone have any more info on what the replacement might be and when it’s coming?

Glad to hear something is in the works. I wanted to try a holographic sight with out goign all the way to EoTech.

Holding a UH-1 next to an MRO and T-2, and a Holosun was a joke. The Vortex felt like it was behind the curve of all of them.

Not even close to a FAIR comparison!

The Vortex UH-1 is a HOLOGRAPHIC Sight. The MRO, Aimpoints, & Holosuns are not.

The only ACCURATE comparison is between the UH-1 and the Eotech Holographic lineup.

Reactions: The22Man
Not even close to a FAIR comparison!

The Vortex UH-1 is a HOLOGRAPHIC Sight. The MRO, Aimpoints, & Holosuns are not.

The only ACCURATE comparison is between the UH-1 and the Eotech Holographic lineup.
A TukTuk doesn't need to be in the same class as a Honda Civic to know that they aren't comparable. I liked every Eotech I touched. I couldn't stand looking through the Vortex.

• Haha
Reactions: Genesis1984
I've owned 3 Eotechs. I currently own the UH-1 and Sig Sauer's Romeo8H. I'm a Vortex junky but the Romeo8H is way better than the UH-1. Romeo8H's reticle is crystal clear when compared to the UH-1. The UH-1's body does like more "durable" than the Romeo8H. The Eotech's looked even worse with it's horrible pixelated reticle. Hell a fake Chi-com Eotech's reticle was clearer.

I'd buy one again if it wasn't for the terrible reticle clipping on the left side of the window....as a lefty...in transition...I lost the reticle a lot...it clipped a good 1" or so before the reticle hit the edge of the window...somehow it is part of the UH1's design...but EOtech doesnt do this so went back to that instead...too bad becase it is a good optic and the size is really not much different than a EOtech.

Last edited:
I would bet it's more like, they don't care what's going on. Probably just had some extra to sell.
And that is why I don't mess with optics planet for anything. They don't know what is going on.

Discontinuing a specific PN/ UPC doesn't necessarily mean the product is going away. It would be going through a very small update, but enough of one to justify a new MPN. So when Optics planet says " discontinued" and vortex says "the UH-1 isn't discontinued" they can both be correct. As a dealer, we see that ALL the time. in fact, most times you see a product with a substantial discount (30+%), that is why- price protection doesn't apply to "discontinued" items, and dealers want to free up the cash to buy the more current version. Case in point- Vortex discontinued several reticle options in the PST Gen 2 lineup. Those scopes were immediately marked down $200+ in many places. Was the product listed as discontinued by OP? yes. If I asked Vortex if the PST Gen 2 was discontinued, their answer would be no. Not saying Optics planet is 100% accurate all the time, but I can't imagine any upside to them lying and saying a product is discontinued that isn't considering those products are usually a little harder to sell due to consumer nature

Interested to see what's coming hopefully it's reduced in physical size. I love my EXPS 3-4 but am currently torn if i should seek out a UH1 or stick with the plan for an XPS2-300 for my 300blk.

I wonder what else is changing besides NV settings... I’m really enjoying my 1st gen

As with many things Razor, smaller/lighter would sure be sweet! I have an 11.5” pistol that needs an optic, and as much as I love my Huey, I’m not sure I want to put an 11oz brick on it... We’ll see though, I love everything else about it, so I may cave!

Reactions: 5RWill and JC0352
They added night vision compatibility.
Wonder if it still has that blue tint. That was my only complaint. Think I would still rather use an Eotech.

It weighs the same as a comp M4, hardly a cinder block

It’s more to do with the aesthetics. I must say I prefer the reddish hue of a true structural block over the odd Klingon geometry of the Vortex. I guess ugly earns its own award?

It weighs the same as a comp M4, hardly a cinder block

It's not the weight i think it literally looks like a cinderblock or mailbox. It's profile on the gun is YUGE. No doubt still a great holo though. I wish i could've gotten one of the Gen Is on closeout at $350

Soooo looks the same :cautious:

No, it looks like they milled the body and shaved almost an ounce off based on the specs at Kenzie Optics. And added a dedicated NV button w/ four NV settings,plus a way to recall the last daylight setting. I’m hoping when more details come out on the 16th that it has better battery life and is even lighter than stated, but we’ll see. I may very well be in for one!