• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex lens cover?

okiefired

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2003
The Reservation (OK)
Hi all, just a question. About 6 or 8 mo ago I wanted a cheap but reliable (yeah, I know) red dot sight for my little Armalite truck gun and I chose the Vortex SPARC. It came with the adj. mount, seems well made, holds zero, adj. are consistant and the dot is very visable in all cnditions. Otherwise, I'm really pleased with it....especially for the price. BUT....there is a con. The bikini type lens cover it came with is the single biggest POS cover I've ever seen come on an optic of any kind. Its so bad that I thought for a while they had shipped me the wrong cover. If you even look at it sideways it jumps off and falls in the floor....or the field or truck. I'm constantly carrying the gun in and out of the truck and I'm lookin for that SOB all the time. I know from reading online that Vortex CS is excellent and I'm concidering contacting them but honestly, if I'm the only one haveing this issue, I'll probably just live with it or modify it somehow. So, anyone else having similar problems?

okie

The bikini cover is kind of a free be. They chose to put more money into manufacturing a quality product at a good price than a high end cover.

Why manufacture quality without manufacturing a way to mantain it? Lens covers are not an option, they should be working and standard equip.

okie

Last edited:
I got a SPARC too, I think for the money I'll buy more of them, and because there a lot less expensive than a Aimpoint Micro T1 I don't care if the lenses have covers or not, I also hate bikini covers, on my Nightforce that was the first order of business getting some Butler Creeks, in the case of the SPARC BC caps are not a option nor are they needed.

So, the lenses on your sight dont need to be protected? Do you not ever take it out? I'd rather them knock $5 off the price of the sight and just not include the cover. I dont like bikini covers either and of course there are better options but 90% of the BC's do what they're intended to do. I've got several cheap Trashcos and Bushnells that I've had since I was a kid stuck in a box. All came with a cheap BC that work just as they were intended and I doubt any of these scopes cost much over $100 if any. Like I said, I like the sight and I think its well worth the $ but any lens needs to be protected sometimes I dont care what its coated with. Why would you not want them protected when not in use? I'm sopposed to think I was saved money because I was sold a "not so expensive" cover that is useless? I would be a salesman's dream if I felt that way.....which I dont. So 427, to the question, do you have trouble keeping your cover on your sight? Anyone else or is it just me?

okie

So 427, to the question, do you have trouble keeping your cover on your sight? Anyone else or is it just me?

okie

Im not sure wich 427 your talking to, but for me I don't have trouble keeping the cover on, it broke day 1 and I really didnt care. For the cost of the optic vs the quality of the optic I think its a hell of a deal with no cover included. I think asking for perfection out of a dot in that price range is asking entirely two much. If Vortex was to mess something up im glad it was a cover, and not something important, and yes I use the shit out of mine and am far rougher on it that your average shooter.

Carrying mine in my truck on the ranch in rural OK without any cover renders it unusable from the dust and grime in a very short time unless first cleaned and I certainly don't consider that "using the shit out of it". Like I've already said several times, I consider it a very good site and I never expected perfection which it certainly is not close too without even taking into account the cheesy cover. I really just wanted to verify that I was shipped the correct cover because this thing is such an abortion I couldn't believe someone at Vortex actually designed it to fit this optic, it wouldnt have cost any more to make one that actually fits, my 10 yr old grandson could have easily done better. Guess I got my answer, glad you are satisfied with it....I'm sure not but I'll fix it somehow. Thanks for the info.

Okie

Last edited: