• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Mil/Mil Scope

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have some Premier scopes and love them.

I am looking for a tough/repeatable scope for some other rifles that won't drain the bank account.

How tough are the Viper scopes?
How repeatable?
How is the glass?
Is there anything better at this price point?

Re: Vortex Mil/Mil Scope

M1 A,

This is NOT a mil/mil scope, but mil/moa. The mil/mil at the moment is the Razor, unless you are asking about the PST, inwhich case there is LOTS of info in the first few pages here covering the initial run.

My experience with the Viper 6-20x44 has been very good. I purchased one for the same reasons you are considering. It went on a practice rifle for a while and has been on my wife's primary rifle since the spring while she waits on a PST.

It has been used for steel, P-dogs, 3 unknown distance comps and hunting season, where she has a tendency to get things muddy and covered in ice and snow.

The reticle is an appropriate size, easy to 1/4 a 3/4 MOA target and the mil - reticle subtends correctly at just over 14 power.
The adjustments are crisp, but they are not "stiff" as an exposed turret scope would be. This scope returns to zero without any issue, but the tracking is off by a couple of percent. It has not been an issue here because we know the amount and adjust the come-ups as needed. The parrellex adjustment is nice and crisp and requires some effort to turn. I have never seen it "self adjust".
Acquiring a good sight picture is easy, the scope is very forgiving when getting a clear edge to edge sight picture.
The only thing I don't like is the "quick zero" knobs. They are very simple and fast to zero, but if you dial you have to be careful not to lift the knob or you will adjust your zero. This hasn't been a big issue, my wife dials elevation, but it is something you have to be aware of.

I have recommended them to several friends, most have purchased them and are very pleased.

Good Luck