• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex New Scope Release Schedule

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
I called the good people at Vortex today to recommend that that they come out with a new version of their Razor HD Gen II that is black, weighs less, and is mil/mil. While the person on the phone would not confirm or deny anything, I got the sense that they have heard many times before and something is on the way in response to this request. He wouldn't give me any indication timing. Does anyone have an understanding of general or vortex specific scope release schedules? If something like this is on the horizon, what time of year would it happen? Is 2013 a possibility? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

If its happening and if somebody knows something I doubt they can give you any info if Vortex won't. Companies are always looking to improve their product line and listen to customer feedback.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

Do they generally release at that same time or day they unveil for a release at a later date?

SHOT Show in January traditionally has many manufacturers unveiling new products. January 14-17 for 2014.

Mark H.

Could be really interesting if it came out lighter and more compact, though I do like the brown color. : )

A lot of business is transacted at SHOT, and manufacturing is tied to interest and ordering. it's a pretty safe bet that things won't be available as soon as they are announced. Some companies are better (Vortex) than others (think I'll keep my mouth shut here).

Manufacturers also use SHOT to gauge response and interest in the products - if people are elbowing each other to get a look, and dealers are placing large orders, it can be difficult for manufacturers to keep up with initial demand. Add to that a magazine article or three with sexy photos of the product and a good write-up, and it can be hard to find one in stock after an initial announcement.

Things happen - earthquakes near manufacturing facilities, container ships lose cargo, any number of things can impact release dates.

That being said, throughout the year, we see different prototypes that the manufacturers bring, so there is development throughout the year, and you may see optics released to coincide with hunting season, for example.

Bottom line, can't say. But SHOT is where and when any company wants to show off their newest and best to the collected media, distributors and retailers.

Mark H.

A lot of business is transacted at SHOT, and manufacturing is tied to interest and ordering. it's a pretty safe bet that things won't be available as soon as they are announced. Some companies are better (Vortex) than others (think I'll keep my mouth shut here).

Manufacturers also use SHOT to gauge response and interest in the products - if people are elbowing each other to get a look, and dealers are placing large orders, it can be difficult for manufacturers to keep up with initial demand. Add to that a magazine article or three with sexy photos of the product and a good write-up, and it can be hard to find one in stock after an initial announcement.

Things happen - earthquakes near manufacturing facilities, container ships lose cargo, any number of things can impact release dates.

That being said, throughout the year, we see different prototypes that the manufacturers bring, so there is development throughout the year, and you may see optics released to coincide with hunting season, for example.

Bottom line, can't say. But SHOT is where and when any company wants to show off their newest and best to the collected media, distributors and retailers.

Mark H.

Boy, that response was cryptic and tantalizing! I suppose that could be a case of me reading what I want to hear, but it almost sounds like you're trying to say something without saying anything.
Thanks for chiming in.

Isn't brown better to match the environment anyway? I don't know, maybe it is better to match the evil black rifles. Got to be consistent, and black is a slimming color. For the Razor's weight problem, you know.

you can cerakote a scope any color you want. i've been hitting vortex to make their razor a 25x and make a 3-15 and 2-10 range razor level scope for YEARS. I know they always have projects on the horizon hopefully we'll see some cool stuff at shot show.

Cerakote hurts resale value. Er, guess that doesn't matter. I don't know, wouldn't hurt to have options.