• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex No Longer Doing Reticle Swaps?

Science.Ninja

-----
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
Just got off the phone with Vortex about swapping an AMG reticle. Apparently they're no longer doing reticle swaps??? Last I heard few months back was that it was a $300.00?

I don't know if they ever would change reticles before. But I was told the same thing about 6 months ago when I asked if they could switch my AMG reticle to the 7b.

Just weird because I know at one point (maybe last year) I called and they would do the swap for $300. Just confused and a tad irritated.

When the gen 2 razor came out I bought a Gen 1 here and it had a EBR-1 reticle, vortex switched the reticle to the EBR-2 for $300 but that was a few years back.

Reactions: BoulderE89
I called them yesterday about doing a reticle swap and they told me it is not cost efficient to swap those due to the amount of labor involved. The lady I spoke to said they never have. Maybe they contracted it out because I have read where members here have done it for $300.

Think about how much work that is on a complex and hermetically sealed piece of optical equipment. $300 is about what other scope makers charge.

Tearing apart a scope with the correct tools isn't particularity difficult, but doing anything with lenses and rets can be a bitch, especially since the AMG is a FFP glass ret. FFP is hard to columnate and align correctly by hand, and glass rets are annoying because they have to be perfectly clean. It's a lens that is always in focus, so any small bit of debris is visible and you may not see it until the scope is almost completely reassembled. It is a ton of labor.

Reactions: TACC
Tearing apart a scope with the correct tools isn't particularity difficult, but doing anything with lenses and rets can be a bitch, especially since the AMG is a FFP glass ret. FFP is hard to columnate and align correctly by hand, and glass rets are annoying because they have to be perfectly clean. It's a lens that is always in focus, so any small bit of debris is visible and you may not see it until the scope is almost completely reassembled. It is a ton of labor.
I dont claim to know, and all that may in fact be true. But my logical side tells me it shouldn't matter as much since they do in fact have all the necessary means to do a reticle change due to them all being built in house right here in the USA. Another model that is outsourced elsewhere? I can wrap my head around that a little more. Just my $0.02.

I dont claim to know, and all that may in fact be true. But my logical side tells me it shouldn't matter as much since they do in fact have all the necessary means to do a reticle change due to them all being built in house right here in the USA. Another model that is outsourced elsewhere? I can wrap my head around that a little more. Just my $0.02.

Time is money either way. US labor is expensive.

-Stooxie

Reactions: MElank
Let's see, for the same labor, I can either 1) build a brand new scope or 2) replace the reticle in an old scope.

"Not cost effective" translates to "there are better business uses of our limited labor pool than "fixing" a perfectly functional optic." Put another way, " For the time and effort, we make more money building optics than we do replacing reticles."

Reactions: Steel head
Let's see, for the same labor, I can either 1) build a brand new scope or 2) replace the reticle in an old scope.

"Not cost effective" translates to "there are better business uses of our limited labor pool than "fixing" a perfectly functional optic." Put another way, " For the time and effort, we make more money building optics than we do replacing reticles."
That’s how I see it.

I get it and I do understand. Although I do find it funny, that you can't get a reticle changed out but you can / could destroy the scope (on purpose or accident) and get a new one. Not that I am advocating that in any way, nor am I arguing the cost effectiveness of it either. Just crazy to think, thats all. Not trying to be argumentative, just an observation.

To clarify, IF I wanted to change one of my reticles I would do what is suggested above and sell it and buy the new one with what I wanted.

I get it and I do understand. Although I do find it funny, that you can't get a reticle changed out but you can / could destroy the scope (on purpose or accident) and get a new one. Not that I am advocating that in any way, nor am I arguing the cost effectiveness of it either. Just crazy to think, thats all. Not trying to be argumentative, just an observation.

To clarify, IF I wanted to change one of my reticles I would do what is suggested above and sell it and buy the new one with what I wanted.

Good point, and here's why: it's a different pot of money. Manufacturers have funds set aside (and sometimes even insurance policies) to fulfill warranty obligations so technically they are getting paid to fix a broken scope. Perhaps better to say reimbursed.

I hear you, brother, it's happening globally. Companies are doing well but they are tightening things down all over the place. My guess is the 2020 election concerns aren't helping, but there's more to it. I think there are some generational issues that I won't get into here.

-Stooxie

Reactions: Muley Buck
Good point, and here's why: it's a different pot of money. Manufacturers have funds set aside (and sometimes even insurance policies) to fulfill warranty obligations so technically they are getting paid to fix a broken scope. Perhaps better to say reimbursed.

I hear you, brother, it's happening globally. Companies are doing well but they are tightening things down all over the place. My guess is the 2020 election concerns aren't helping, but there's more to it. I think there are some generational issues that I won't get into here.

-Stooxie
Agreed.

Sell it, and buy what you want. Probably will lose less than $300 in the deal.

Another tidbit,, as you go up in quality,, many scopes have their erector stage and reticle Epoxied in.
There is actually no way to remove the guts once sealed up. You can see the epoxy if you look from the front with a small flashlight..