• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex not publishing exit pupil?

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I'm curious what the exit pupil spec is for the Vortex Razor HD gen2 4.5-27X56, but I'm not finding it anywhere. Does anyone know?

Thanks, I didn't know it was that simple. :)

It can be less than that, but that simple formula is accurate, or accurate within any amount you should care about, for most scopes. However, it is more likely to be INaccurate with scopes that have magnification ranges wider than 4x, so while you can start out with those numbers as an assumption, if the values are critical to you I would wait for the published specs* or contact Vortex and ask.

*published specs can be wrong too, of course. And especially when they are at some retailer's website vs. the manufacturer.

Cool, thanks. Yes, I'm looking for accurate info for comparison. Hopefully someone will also have first-hand observation data to compare with, eventually. The simple formula is very helpful now, while we wait for official data.

That formula holds true for maximun magnification, but most of the time at the low settings the exit pupil is smaller than OBJ diameter/mag power.

You'll notice that many makers astutely simply omit those pesky numbers, specially in scopes with zoom larger than 4X, and even more in scopes with very low magnification settings. ;)