• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex !! now I’m interested.

Foweis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
New mexico, USA
Hey guys that run the razor Gen2s, I know it’s been discussed and analyzed to hell and back. But now that there’s this close out sale I’m really thinking of getting one.
Besides the weight issues any other gripes I should be worried about?

RAZOR GEN2 Sale

Really just the weight, and the color if you care. Oh, and people calling you gay for having a Vortex apparently, IDK.

I've had two and still own one. They're fine.

Pick one here up on the hide for a few hundred less probably.

They are great scopes but mine weights 3.5 lbs setting in a set of rings. They are heavy but here I sit trying to put lead in my rifle stock...

Pick one here up on the hide for a few hundred less probably.

They are great scopes but mine weights 3.5 lbs setting in a set of rings. They are heavy but here I sit trying to put lead in my rifle stock...
With the Razor IIs selling new on Europtic for $1849, I don’t think you’ll see any here used for a few hundred less than that.

I remember selling one for $1950. Glad I don’t need to move one now. It’s crazy how cheap they have gotten.

Everyone should have at least one. They are tanks.

I don’t think there are any down sides, the color... I like. The weight...I don’t mind at all. I really like them.

Last edited:
With the prices the way they are I had to pick one up. They are great scopes from a great company! I really like the EBR2C reticle, sorry to see it going. I have been wanting to try a Tremor3 reticle, think this may be the best way to try it without breaking the bank

Yeah, they are heavy, but my rifle, with the Razor still weighs about 3 lbs less than a M249, so I'm good. Would I choose one for a light weight hunting rifle? Probably not, but for a heavy precision rifle I think they are the best thing going in that price range.

F the 249 lol

Vortex stated on FB the old reticles are going to be sold for 1999 and the new 2019 reticles are being priced 2499 for the tremor and horus.

So to my knowledge those prices are here to stay, not just close out.

Hey guys that run the razor Gen2s, I know it’s been discussed and analyzed to hell and back. But now that there’s this close out sale I’m really thinking of getting one.

RAZOR GEN2 Sale

Frank, they are hard to beat for real. I cant get past the weight though. But another small grip I have (which I feel like maybe I am alone in) is the lock on the turrets get very hard to unlock in the cold. I don't know why but that irritates the shit out of me. I have never liked a push pull turret lock, I have tried the Benders, Vortex, and Bushnell's and honestly I like Bushnell's the best but don't really like any of them. But that is just me being a whiny bitch. They are great scopes...

With the Razor IIs selling new on Europtic for $1849, I don’t think you’ll see any here used for a few hundred less than that.

I think you'll be surprised.
Vortex stated on FB the old reticles are going to be sold for 1999 and the new 2019 reticles are being priced 2499 for the tremor and horus.

So to my knowledge those prices are here to stay, not just close out.

The 1999 price point is the new vortex reticle, not the old one.

So is the 2C going away completely, and the new reticle are replacing them? I feel like I’ve read both.

Is it just me, or in the commercial for the new reticles the scope looked like it had a matte black finish on. I sure hope my eyes aren’t playing tricks on.

Back to the posters original question.
At max and near max magnification, RZG2’s clarity suffers. Not unusable, but definitely falls off toward the max magnification.
So if your going to be shooting 1000-1500 yrds, you need to stay below the 24-25 magnification.

I haven’t shot one, but I have heard and read that the AMG does not suffer from this issue.

At max and near max magnification, RZG2’s clarity suffers. Not unusable, but definitely falls off toward the max magnification.
So if your going to be shooting 1000-1500 yrds, you need to stay below the 24-25 magnification.

I haven’t shot one, but I have heard and read that the AMG does not suffer from this issue.

Sorry but not true at all for either scopes.

both still list as stealth shadow in coloring. I can only hope that they put a little more black or gray in the mix of that color.

Is it just me, or in the commercial for the new reticles the scope looked like it had a matte black finish on. I sure hope my eyes aren’t playing tricks on.

Nope that was the normal color in the video.

Dang, maybe I’ll pick one up for my 50 bmg ........always trying to add weight to that beast. Have a 4.5-14 Mark 4 TMR on it now; could use an upgrade. Wonder if the Razor II’s are 50 bmg proof? As heavy built as they are built, I bet they are 20mm cannon proof.

They are. The 1-6x have actually been used on M2s.

Reactions: KYAggie

RAZOR GEN2 Sale

The color is so damn gay, but so is the question about its weight. The new rave is to add weights to a chassis. Go figure!!!!!!

Don't forget that Vortex has the best customer service ever. Many proclaim, "My Vortex took a dump, but it was taken care of without questions. My money is on Vortex from here on out." Does that really make sense? :D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
Yes if you actually look at it as most issues are with the lesser expensive scopes. Not Razors. And don't forget the VIP warranty covers accidental damage too so if I were spending $2000 I would want that warranty as accidents happen. House fire? Fall from tree stand? Run over by truck? Dropped off obstacles at a match? All covered.

Also you can thank Vortex for pushing the customer service in the optics industry. Many others changed after Vortex to try and give the same support to their customers.

Yes if you actually look at it as most issues are with the lesser expensive scopes. Not Razors. And don't forget the VIP warranty covers accidental damage too so if I were spending $2000 I would want that warranty as accidents happen. House fire? Fall from tree stand? Run over by truck? Dropped off obstacles at a match? All covered.

Also you can thank Vortex for pushing the customer service in the optics industry. Many others changed after Vortex to try and give the same support to their customers.

I have to agree with Rob, best warranty in the business hands down.. The razor 2 is a great optic, I would have kept mine but really wanted to give the AMG a go so I sold it.

I have two of them and that has not been my experience. The Razor Gen 2 is heavy but bombproof. Add a weight kit to an MPA chassis or slap your Gen 2 on that bitch and send it!

seriously though, comparing hands on Razor HD gen 2 to Kahles, S&B, NF, Minox and Tangent the razor is surprisingly comparable. Id rate the glass better than the Kahles and on par with the NF, S&B and TT are on another level tho...

So now that you've tried the 2.
AMG or Gen 2?

I like the AMG a little better based on the weight and I like the EBR-7 better than the EBR-2C.. The AMG eye box is a little tighter though... Both are great optics, can't go wrong with either of them.

There is a little draw back to the G2. It actually only applies to the MOA versions though. You’re limited to 71moa of travel. It’s a turret limitation that holds it back. That is what stopped my from getting one for an elr rifle. I have a couple amgs though and like them.

There is a little draw back to the G2. It actually only applies to the MOA versions though. You’re limited to 71moa of travel. It’s a turret limitation that holds it back. That is what stopped my from getting one for an elr rifle. I have a couple amgs though and like them.

Geno C. can attest to this since he's heard my complaints about the Vortex at WPRSC matches. I've never been a huge fan of the reticles. But since they are now putting the H59 and the EBR-7 in the G2 Razors. I am seriously considering them at the new price points.

That is a limitation if shooting ELR but it's way more than enough for the distances most will be shooting. The scope has more internal elevation so put the scope on a 30 or 40 moa base and you will get most all of that knob elevation. Also you have all the moa hold in the reticle if you need more.

Reactions: GhostFace
Yeah man this thread title...almost feels like clickbait lol. I know it's not and appreciate the information on the sale, i'll be sending it to friends. But damnit i was thinking they had announced something at SHOT.

Thread was a few days old and about the reticles.

I was expecting a release since they lowered their msrp on gen 2.

Wonder if they’re just being super quiet about it? I was expecting at the very least reduced weight Gen IIs. Not just new reticles hoping for new amg lineup

No nothing new to release this year other then what Vortex has already put out with the new reticles and price drop in the Gen II, HD Fury 5000 yard range finders, spotter reticles, etc. those are some excellent things but no new optics for 2019.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
You should be. They are awesome! ?

I'm going to let the masses put them through their paces before buying them. Let the kinks get worked out of the first group of units. See what the pros and cons are and make a decision.

I will let you know after I get mine and try them out but from the reports of people I trust of being able to hit 3000 yards holding them up to your eyes with no support I think they will be working out just fine. And with Vortex and the VIP warranty there are no worries. For the price and capabilities I can see them taking the market by storm.