• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Optics? Viper PST?

amauro1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
NY, USA
OK, I finally made my decision for a scope for my 700 LTR, I waved out the mark 4 leupold, and came down to the vortex viper pst, I just need extra feedback on this brand/scope because this is my first time using it, also do you reccomend spending more money on FFP? thanks!

Re: Vortex Optics? Viper PST?

ffp vs second focal, it depends on what your doing.if you want to range with your reticle, ffp is useful, but for long range shooting, i prefer a second focal scope. i'm offering a satisfaction guarantee on vortex, so no risk if you want to give one a shot

type in Vortex PST in the Google search bar about 1/2 way down the screen on the right. You will be reading stuff for the next month about it. The short of it is, in it's price range, the PST is hard to beat with FFP/illumination/CRS zero stop. Some other companies are starting to hop on the bandwagon in this price range though such as Bushnell and Weaver.

I highly recommend the PST if you want an FFP mil/mil scope with a good looking, illuminated reticle. The glass is good, the turrets click nicely and are very easy to read on the outsde, and there is good eye relief.

If you do go this route (or any for that matter), I'd also highly recommend you map out the turret's capabilities on a piece of paper. They will track 19.0 mils in both elevation and windage but they wont to it at the same time. Make sure you know where they max out.

Cheers

Well I'm only shooting competition with it right now 100-200 yards and I have a 600 yard range, I'm undecided for FFP or SFP, I hear people. Complain about the mark 4 all the time, and the vortex seems to be hard to
Beat, I might save the money and get the SFP, im only target shooting with it

If you wanna save money, look at the weaver tactical 3-15 EMDR, its ffp, and some say it has better glass than the viper (opinions of course, different from person to person), and its rock solid. You can probably find it for $700 on SWFA.

I like FFP because you can use it to adjust your shots more easily, especially if you have to dial down for movers or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TM700LTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm only shooting competition with it right now 100-200 yards and I have a 600 yard range, I'm undecided for FFP or SFP, I hear people. Complain about the mark 4 all the time, and the vortex seems to be hard to
Beat, I might save the money and get the SFP, im only target shooting with it </div></div>

What kind of competitions? If they're the type where you also have to range with your reticle, get the FFP. You can use a SFP for ranging, but my personal experience is that I don't always keep them at the ranging magnification so.... miss. If you're shooting known distances then a SFP will serve you well (see NF NXS 12-42x popularity in the benchrest community). If not, go FFP.

Can not recommend them highly enough. Really nice glass and best warranty in the industry. The only thing i do not like about ffp is the reticule lines are a little thick when mag is dialed up? I guess it really only makes a difference when paper punching?
I don't know how you can go wrong with opticplanets money back guarantee? Good luck what ever you do?

In the 4-16x I'm good with SFP or FFP. I prefer the FFP in the 6-24x power range. The Reason I prefer FFP is so I can use the reticle on moving target / multiple engagements. I back it down to around 8x to 10x.

If you are just using it for paper and having fun the SFP will work just fine. If you are doing more bench-rest / F-Class shooting the SFP will have a thinner cross-hair so it will make for a finer aiming point.

I for most shooter I feel SFP will work. It just depends on what you are going to do with your setup.

Mike @ CST
www.cstactical.com

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks / CS Tactical</span>
FEEDBACK about CS Tactical on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CS Tactical on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CS Tactical on the HIDE

thank you for all your input, I think im going to save the money and just get a sfp, I am only punching paper and steel plates at 600 yards, I have a designated hunting rig set up already that I have had since im 15, I just was curious about Vortex and the new Viper PST, I was set on a leupold mark 4 6-25, but alot of people have talked me out of it saying leupold is too much for what they offer

I have zero experience with the Viper PST scopes but I do currently have a Razor HD on my rifle and that is one amazing scope. What I can tell you is that Vortex, as a company, is second to none when it comes to customer service. I had a problem with a SPARC once that I had purchased used from someone else. I called them up and they took care of it right away.

As far as FFP vs SFP, as others have stated, it is a personal preference issue. One system is not "better" then the other. They are simply different.