• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Product - 50% off Cert

lush_dawg

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 7, 2019
    Hello! I earned myself a 50% cert from Vortex and am in need of a observation piece...what should I go with? Spotter or Bino and which price point. Been reading reviews and just can’t decide!

18x UHD would be my choice. I'm not a big of their spotters

id do binos all day

a 15x LRF set would be awesome but we use the sig 3000 and fury just fine for everything and flashers certainly help with the 1k+ targets

Do NOT get the 18x UHDs, too much magnification and the clarity really suffers.

The 12x UHD on the other hand are far and away the best model in the UHD line, and I’d go so far as to say they are comparable to Swaros in terms of edge to edge clarity and resolution (though you do give up some magnification).

That being said, the 12x, especially with UHD glass, will be more than enough for PRS spotting.

Do NOT get the 18x UHDs, too much magnification and the clarity really suffers.

The 12x UHD on the other hand are far and away the best model in the UHD line, and I’d go so far as to say they are comparable to Swaros in terms of edge to edge clarity and resolution (though you do give up some magnification).

That being said, the 12x, especially with UHD glass, will be more than enough for PRS spotting.

I agree. I spent some time at a match on the 18x UHDs. I was really not impressed.

Not much of a step up from my 18x Kaibabs and the glass wasnt as good as my Steiner HX 15X56s. Both of those binos are quite a bit less money.

I havent looked through the 12x UHDs.

I have been very happy with my Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 spotting scope.

Its seen plenty of use both for spotting birds and other wildlife outside hunting season, as well as on the rifle range where I've used it out to 300 meter.

It takes up very little room in the backpack, so very good for bringing along when out walking the countryside all day long.

When close to the car I use it on a normal photo tripod, when out walking all day I will instead pare it with a tiny and leigthweight yet immensively sturdy tabletop tripod.

Last edited:
    Honestly my buddy has the Furry 5k and I don't have trouble spotting at all with them at PRS distances and you don't have to carry around a bunch of stuff to verify target distances (you'd be surprised how many are off and off enough to miss from elevation).

Binos are the way to go for PRS matches. Easy to carry, large FOV and really no eye fatigue.

Your range, dust/dirt conditions, and Target style and size will all determine what's best for you.

I wouldn't look at anything other than the razor hd/uhd. Your usage and personal preference are really what drive the choice.

A 15-45x60 spotter does a good job covering multi use. And I prefer a tripod for spotting with binos so there isn't really extra equipment for my use.

But it's all personal. I'm using 10x42 binos and a 20-60x85 spotter. Binos work great unless it's rainy. Then I need the 20-25x range on the spotter to see the smaller mud splashes vs large dust clouds. I really don't use the upper range on the spotter unless I'm looking for deer or elk miles away.

another option might be the 11-33 Razor HD spotter if you dont need the LRF. gets you the same range we use our scopes in and its super light. more usable low range and doesnt have the high end that rarely gets used anyways

don't see them talked about much maybe someone or a dealer will chime in on them

I agree, I rarely use more than 30 power and the 11-33 is much easier to pack.