• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes vortex pst 1-4 vs super sniper 1-4? anyone w/ both

grunt soldier

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2009
indianapolis
anyone have both of these optics. i know the ss is ffp and the vortex 1-4 isn't. i am wanting either or in mil/mil set up w/ exposed turrets. anyone have both? which reticle do you like better is there a huge difference in the illumination? are both daylight bright w/ the illumination? is there a big differance in the hd glass vs the pst glass? ect any pros or cons to either that you have noticed. i searched forever and can't find a thread with both. i am trying to run it on a SPR 5.56 shooting out to 600 meters or so. any help is appreciated.

Re: vortex pst 1-4 vs super sniper 1-4? anyone w/ both

Another thing to think about is buying a used Vortex Razor. They seem to be selling for around the price of the Super Sniper, and I bet they are a bit better.

hum i will look into the razor also. the one thing i am really wanting is a daylight bright dot but just not trying to go s&b short dot route. i have 2 nightforce 1-4's and i love them but the problem i run into is in bright sunlight if i am on a dark target the reticle washes out and the illumination on it is only so so imo so looking to try something different

Don't OWN both, but have USED both.

The SS is superior in every way, IMO. Fit and finish, reticle, turrets, everything.

The only thing that's better about the PST is the font of the numbers for the dials.

If these are you choices on the short list, the decision should be a no-brainer in favor of the SS.

Well... I've had just about all of the 1-4x optics out there except the SS... that being said, I currently have 2 of the PST 1-4x scopes... absolutely outstanding bang for your buck... the glass is crystal clear, simple yet effective reticle, positive clicks, and the best customer service in the industry make it a winner in my book. I have read about plenty of people also happy with the SS and I would not hesitate to give one a try in the future, but for now, the PST scopes fit my bill.

I own the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD and have used the Vortex 1-4 PST. The SS 1-4X24 HD is a peer to the Vortex Razor rather than the Vortex PST. The SS 1-4X24 has better glass than the Vortex PST and better design features than either the Razor or the PST IMHO. The SS 1-4X24 HD functionally is both a "red dot" 1X optic and a 4X Mil dot with mil turrets in the same package, thanks to the FFP feature. The illumination is better and the boldness of the reticle is better with no illumination IMHO. If things work out I <span style="text-decoration: underline">may</span> have all three for a side by side comparison in the near future. If so I will post it on the Hide. I'm not bashing the Vortex. They make good scopes and I own two of them. However, you buy equipment to perform a function. The design that best facilitates the performance of that function is clearly superior. The SS 1-4X24 is the better design in a high quality, rugged package IMHO.

RRA 24" Varminter in 5.56 at 700 yards using the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD
[img
Colt M4 at 500 yards with SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

Close up of the M4 photo above.
[imgimg]

I could not duplicate that group on a second try.
[img

M4 at 600 yards
[img

M4 at 700 yards
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grunt soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the one thing i am really wanting is a daylight bright dot ... </div></div>
The illumination on the Vortex PST is not daytime visible. At least not in the bright AZ sun.

Just curious, but why do you need bright illumination during mid day? I don't really see a reason for the illumination except for overcast days or during morning/evening. I've looked through both the SS and PST and they are HIGHLY comparable. I also see really no use for a 1-4 to be FFP, but maybe thats just me. Either scope someone ends up going with is a great choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, but why do you need bright illumination during mid day? I don't really see a reason for the illumination except for overcast days or during morning/evening. I've looked through both the SS and PST and they are HIGHLY comparable. I also see really no use for a 1-4 to be FFP, but maybe thats just me. Either scope someone ends up going with is a great choice. </div></div>

You really don't need illumination in bright light. The only time the illuminated reticle "washed out" on the SS 1-4 HD in my experience was on a bright sunny day in the snow. As I panned across an area of snow covered trees the reticle was black on the bright snow and instantly appeared bright red when I moved to deep shadows under the trees where the black reticle may have washed "out". The "boldness" of the reticle is a factor in bright light. The design that "grabs" your eye functions better.

At close range the glass seem similar. Go out to 600-700 yards and you will notice a difference. The SS 1-4 HD is more comparable to the Vortex Razor HD in the glass department.

The FFP feature is what allows the SS 1-4 HD to switch from a "red dot" to a Mildot scope. This is better shown than discribed.
1X illuminated
[img

4X nonilluminated

[img

I agree that both would be a good choice, However, the SS 1-4X24 HD is the <span style="text-decoration: underline">best</span> choice, hands down.

I'd like to see some side by side photos of these two scopes on full illumination during the day, looking at the same object. I do like the PST reticle over the SS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see some side by side photos of these two scopes on full illumination during the day, looking at the same object. I do like the PST reticle over the SS. </div></div>

PST reticle in bright sunlight is a dark red color. It stands out over a black target but it's not aimpoint/eotech bright.

In hindsight I probably would've gone with the SS1-4 however I can't imagine anything that I would be able to do with the SS that I can't do with the PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, but why do you need bright illumination during mid day? I don't really see a reason for the illumination except for overcast days or during morning/evening. I've looked through both the SS and PST and they are HIGHLY comparable. I also see really no use for a 1-4 to be FFP, but maybe thats just me. Either scope someone ends up going with is a great choice.</div></div>

Unless youre planning on using it for fast shots at close range, no use at all.
With the scopes I've tested, I shoot measurably faster (splits and transitions) at close range (<50y) with a scope with bright illumination. YMMV

Does anyone have a side by side thru the scope of both scopes?

I have the SS, Razor, and PST in my possession. I think the SS is a better scope than both the Razor and PST. Construction and other features aside, the glass is cleaner & more crisp than the PST. As was mentioned above the Razor's glass is more comparable to the SS than the PST's glass. The SS' reticle is far more versatile. At 1X it's a completely different FOV experience than it is at 4X. The FFP design has a legitimate purpose. Heck I prefer the the SS over NF and S&B. Compared to the SS, the S&B appears very dull. Plus, if the battery dies on the S&B - the scope is essentially useless at 1X. The NF is nice but the mil dot reticle is essentially invisible at 1X. I like the FC-2, but it offers nothing over the SS at 1X and falls short at 4X. My thoughts anyway.

As for the comparable photos - here are a few of each. Sunny Maine Spring Sunday. The advantages of the SS at 1X over the PST are distinct. At 4X, I think the glass quality and hashed mil / mil reticle & turrets make for a real nice package.

The PST is nice, but if I had to pick one - the SS is an easy choice. The Razor, again, is more of a competitor against the SS, not the PST. Even so, the EBR-556 reticle leaves a lot to be desired.

*All pics are at 4X zoom on the camera, with the optics at 1X magnification:

SSWOODS1.jpg

SSWOODSILLUMINATED.jpg

SS1X.jpg

PSTWOODS1.jpg

PSTWOODSILLUMINATED.jpg

PST1X.jpg

Great photos Hokie. I have over a thousand rounds through rifles using the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD. At one point I tested it with IPSC targets set between 25 yards and 100 yards and timed and scored this scope against an Aimpoint. What I found was that the SWFA SS kept up with the Aimpoint between 25-50 yards but scored better further out. With the circle/cross hair reticle I focused my attention looking through the circle, when my target was centered, I fired. This is very fast in practice. Further out you have the luxury of a precise cross hair centered in the circle for more precise shot placement. For me this worked better than an Aimpoint at 75-100 yards. If you look at the difference between the Vortex and SWFA SS 1-4 HD reticles I think you can see that this <span style="text-decoration: underline">could</span>be done with both styles. Compare the photos in Hokie's post. However,the bold, highly visable, circle of the SS HD grabs your attention faster and better and the cross hairs are far more visible than the relatively tiny red dot on the PST. This factor, to me, puts the design of the SS HD far ahead of the Vortex PST. For me this required a change in how I used a "red dot" at close range. With the Aimpoint I looked for the target and superimposed the red dot on it and fired. Now, with the SS HD I look through the circle and when I find the target I fire. In my first timed exercise the Airpoint was slightly faster and had the same score as the SS HD. But I've had the Airpoint for years and used it a great deal. I was learning the SS HD "red dot" as I went. Even so the SS HD beat the Aimpoint in score further out. Couple this with the fact that you have a very good mildot scope for longer range via the FFP feature makes this a truly innovative design. It is different and you have to think about it and try it to appreciate it. Having spent time with it I can't think of a 1-4 on the market I would trade it for regardless of price. I like Vortex scopes and own two of them. But in the 1-4 application SWFA did it better IMHO. The Vortex PST would be my second choice but it is a pretty distant second choice. I'm not slaming the Vortex but that is how I see it.

Wow, I had no idea that this scope was available. After reading about this and looking at all your pictures, I am considering dumping my eotech, and another scope and running this with a Larue on a couple of different rifles.

Pretty slick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I had no idea that this scope was available. After reading about this and looking at all your pictures, I am considering dumping my eotech, and another scope and running this with a Larue on a couple of different rifles.

Pretty slick. </div></div>

I love it when the light goes on and people "get it". I keep seeing statement like "why have FFP on a 1-4 scope" or "Why have a mildot with target turrets on a 4x scope" or the "circle reticle is too thick". This is not a conventional design. The FFP is not used for the more common reason of having an accurate mildot at all magnifications. Rather it is used to "switch" between two different and specialized reticles. The bold circle facilitates centering your target just like the rear sight on an M16 does a front post. The thickness attracts your eye with or without the illumination yet is out of the way when using the scope at 4X/mildot mode. This scope has the best combination of features to facilitate the use of the 5.56 cartridge over it's practical range from QCB to 700 yards in all light conditions. At 1x the dots on the mildot reticle are not functional for range finding but they do make the reticle appear larger and provide an excellent "ghost" cross hair for more percise shot placement. This design is different and innovative. You have to think about it, better yet try it to appreciate what it offers.

I have two of the SS 1-4x scopes, and planning to get two more. One of each of the reticles. I to just love the FFP. People who claim it is not needed or dumb for a 1-4x have no idea what they are talking about. It it is the neatest reticle design I have ever used. Both of them just pull your eye to the center when it is on 1x, the donut being a little better in that regard. At 4x it is all you need for mid range shots. I have had low powered scopes from Trijicon (Acog and Accupoint), IOR, Burris, Leupold, Sightron, and the SS just puts them all to shame. It has everything I could ever need for an AR or DG scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two of the SS 1-4x scopes, and planning to get two more. One of each of the reticles. I to just love the FFP. People who claim it is not needed or dumb for a 1-4x have no idea what they are talking about. It it is the neatest reticle design I have ever used. Both of them just pull your eye to the center when it is on 1x, the donut being a little better in that regard. At 4x it is all you need for mid range shots. I have had low powered scopes from Trijicon (Acog and Accupoint), IOR, Burris, Leupold, Sightron, and the SS just puts them all to shame. It has everything I could ever need for an AR or DG scope. </div></div>

It is pretty easy to buy more than one. I started with the intention of replacing the ACOG on my Colt A4 and now the Aimpoint on my Colt M4 may be looking for a home. I also really like the SS 3-9X42.

Anyone running one in 3-gun? Thinking about picking one up for my 16" and wondering how it would do with this application. Right now I'm running a TA11H-G ACOG and its pretty darned fast with that bright ass green blob, but I have always looked for a good 1-4x for 3-gun specifically.

Any reports on battery life?

The rheostat will yield max brightness for the better part of a full workday, course, or stroll through the local zombie park. It's hard to gauge it accurately...but the brightness dims on a curve as one would expect. For discussion purposes, my dubbin' around yields 8-12 (or so...not 100% sure) hours of what Id call max brightness. I turned a battery on last week before I went to bed. Checked it several hours later. Just as bright. Came home from work....noticed a change. From there it drops to intensity level 10 for a spell. Good thing SWFA had the great idea to add a spare battery compartment. I don't use the illumination much myself...cause I don't have to. The black reticle does the job just fine. Even so, in full sun the illumination works well against high contrasting backgrounds. The full circle and lit crosshairs offer a real nice focal point. Still 8-12 hours of useable daytime brightness is pretty good, and I believe is the norm for most quality scopes with manual illumination. Hopefully someone could add to the knowledge pool if I'm off base!

thanks everyone. i think i am going to rock the new ss1-4 on my new ar upper. and then a 6-24 vortex pst on my new long range set up.

so when are the HD line scopes going to be in moa/moa?

How would you compare it to the new meopta?

I spent time with both the vortex viper and SS before I purchased the SS 1-4. I bought the SS with the T reticle and couldn't be happier with my choice of scope and reticle.

The SS has slightly better glass than the Viper 1-4 (to my eye) and the SS's FFP, as stated above, creates virtually TWO reticles in one scope, making it a fantastic dual use scope--A CQB reticle and a long range reticle (limited by the 4 power magnification).

I would agree that the SS 1-4 is more comparable to the Vortex Razor than the Viper. The Viper is priced a few hundred less than the SS and would be a good purchase for someone wanting to stay in that price range.

I've found the SS is constructed to withstand rugged use. It gives me confidence in the scope.

I love Vortex products. I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD binos that are my favorite work binos. I tend to carry those over a pair of issued Zeiss binos. But, the SWFA SS 1-4 is the ultimate multi-use AR optic, in my opinion. I would recommend the SWFA SS 1-4.

What about the Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 with the German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot? I was looking at that one?