• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 2.5-10x32mm mil/mil HORRIBLE GLASS!

hornet shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Canyon lake Tx
I have the scope mentioned above and I am having serious issues with the glass clarity. I shot with the scope for the first time yesterday afternoon and did a sight in and some quick dope out to 800yd. I had no issues with the clarity and I was quite impressed with the optic in general. Any how I decided to take it with me in the deer blind tonight to break it in properly. I had a great 150 class 6.5 year old 8 point come out right before dark and I was not able to take a shot because I could not see crap through the vortex. From 5x-10x it looks like you are looking through dense fog. What in the world could have happened between yesterday and this evening? I am going to check it out tomorrow in bright sun light to see if it is still as foggy. Has anyone else experienced this with the PST? It is hard to describe how milky the image is and I am pretty pissed I missed out on that buck!

It sounds like a bad seal , it can happen to any scope. I own 3 PST's and have had no problems with them fogging.
You know they will take care of it but that didn't help you up in stand, sucks to miss a nice buck because of equipment failure.
Even if it has cleared up by tomorrow because it's been in your heated house you need to send it back, it's going to happen again

my 6X24 pst just did the same thing after 2 years of being beat to death. UPS got it today so I will see what they say. mine has been a very good optic up until now so I feel good that all will end well. I have cranked the hell out of this scope from 1k to suppressed subs and I have spotted others at 1k with ease. I will let you know what I find out in a few days if you want.

Dont know what to tell you. Mine is on my 300blk that is my main hunting gun and it has worked awesome in low light and even spotlighting far away. I think you breathed on the scope. The temp today isnt much different than yesterday but we are right at the dew point which is more conducive to foggy breath.

I have had a couple PSTs that have been great...however, I shot a buddy's rifle with one, and it looked as if you were looking thru smoke and it was the middle of the day. It was horrible.

Unfortunately thats one of the Vipers weak points, lack of contrast at the higher mags. Compound that with low light and its just enough to make you throw your scope.

Last edited:
I didn't breath on it in the stand, later that night or this morning. It just sucks it will be on the way to Vortex in the morning. Thanks for the replies I will keep y'all posted.

Dont expect much from them. Even if there is something wrong with the scope they wont tell you most likely but you will get a new scope. If youre sure you didnt breath on it then it sounds like it has a bad oring and the gas leaked out.

Don't expect too much. Just a new scope. Really? Do people even read what they write? LOL

Hornet, Vortex will take care of you.

Taking care of you shouldn't even come into the equation and is becoming a major selling point for a lot of products. What good does it do to you when you can't even use the product as intended, your opportunity to take the shot of your life time is lost. Taking care of you afterwards its really not a benefit. You get what you pay for. To me it seems like a bad O ring.

Don't expect too much. Just a new scope. Really? Do people even read what they write? LOL

Hornet, Vortex will take care of you.

Yes, I along with a few others have sent in known bad scopes and get the response "we checked it out but nothing was wrong with it. Check your ring tq but we replaced it anyway". Seems like he is expecting an answer as to what is wrong with it and in my experience they wont tell you so he shouldnt expect much of or any explanation. Theyll just replace the scope. That better for the reading comprehension impaired?

Reading comprehension is just fine. Maybe you should write what you mean the first time.

If you’re using the scope in cold weather I recommend always putting the scope in the freezer for 5 to 10min without caps just naked glass. This will help in seeing if your scope as a leak.

Mike @ CSTACTCIAL

1slow, that is too funny what u said about the ring torque. A fellow shooting buddy had a pst on a 338 lm, long story short it fell apart. Had major poi change at 100 yds and had a threaded lock ring that was rattling around on the fast focus eyepiece. Had guys on here tell me that since i wasn't a professional shooter that the 2"+ poi change was me. Lol, i don't shoot matches because i just don't have the ability to leave for a weekend at the drop of a hat. I do manage to expend 4-5000 rds/yr through bolt guns, guess i'm still not professional . When my buddy got his scope back,repaired, the note said resealed and purged torque rings to spec. The rings were torqued to specs the first time, i doubt that caused the scopes eyepiece to fall apart. OP vortex will take care of u, just sucks that u couldn't put deer to ground because of it.

That vortex warranty isn't worth the paper its written on when your scope craps out and you need it.

Do yourself a favor a favor when it comes back (when the replacement comes back) and sell it.

That vortex warranty isn't worth the paper its written on when your scope craps out and you need it.

Do yourself a favor a favor when it comes back (when the replacement comes back) and sell it.

I feel the Vortex PST and HS are very good for the dollar value! I have a HS on a hunting rifle and it worked great this year. There are better scopes out there but you will pay for it.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

3aa9090d30.jpg

Of all the Vortex products I've had not one has stayed together. In the same price range I've run the piss out of the Bushnell Elite 3-12 and haven't had a single issue. A friend also runs a few of them and hasnt had any issues. My only complaint is the illumination is too bright to be usable in low light but I don't use it anyway. When I got it they only came illuminated other wise I would have gotten a non illuminated version. The weaver tactical 3-15 is another more reliable choice for the same price. I've heard no failures on the new SWFA 3-15 either. All in the same price range, all reliable, and all made in Japan. Phillipino scopes don't have anywhere near that track record, look at all the broken Vortex's, and refurbished nikon and Burris stuff. That speaks volumes about their reliability.

Of all the Vortex products I've had not one has stayed together. In the same price range I've run the piss out of the Bushnell Elite 3-12 and haven't had a single issue. A friend also runs a few of them and hasnt had any issues. My only complaint is the illumination is too bright to be usable in low light but I don't use it anyway. When I got it they only came illuminated other wise I would have gotten a non illuminated version. The weaver tactical 3-15 is another more reliable choice for the same price. I've heard no failures on the new SWFA 3-15 either. All in the same price range, all reliable, and all made in Japan. Phillipino scopes don't have anywhere near that track record, look at all the broken Vortex's, and refurbished nikon and Burris stuff. That speaks volumes about their reliability.

I have seen issues with all the scopes you have listed. I have not used the NEW SWFA. We have had really good luck with the Bushnell Tactical scopes, but I have seen them go down also.

I do not see a lot of guys running the Weaver Tactical scopes I see a lot of shooter running the Vortex PSTs so when you have more guys running one brand you will see more issues talked about. If you look at the fell rate they are all about the same 3 to 5 %. I have seen more S&B go down this year than ever before, is this do to the fact they make a crap scopes or did the number of scopes they sell jump up?

Do not get me wrong there are crap scopes out there like the Counter Sniper.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

-2 with -30 wind chill this morning and I had no problems with my hs lr shooting rocks no coyotes showed up. Going out to shoot a doe tomorrow and it is supposed to be fucking cold again I expect no problems. Few other guys are running psts around here and have had no problems so far but shit breaks it a fact of life.

well I have not heard from Vortex but I received a tracking number from fedex today. they got the optic on 12/6 and sent a return notification on 12/9. not to shabby

"No no," the penguin replies, "it's just ice cream."

Vortex sells a LOT of optics, and as with any manufactured product, there are problems. All manufacturers have an occasional clunker. Vortex will make it right.

Mark H.

LMAO. that's where I was going with that. Funny joke!
Nice reply

Precision optical instrument + high G recoiling forces on a rifle. These 2 things don't go together, but somehow, we have rifle optics that hold up to all kinds of abuse.

I've seen warranty-repair return rates for one of the top European rifle optics companies from one dealer, and it was horrendous.

I know how the OP feels though. I had an S&B PMII die on me right before I was flying out to shoot an annual Team-level sniper competition.

I'm trying to remember how long it took to get that one back......in all fairness, I had been shooting a lot of .338 LM under it, maybe 60-100rds per day.

I think NF has a great reliability reputation, but they break too, and CS was horrendous at least up until last spring.