• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes vortex pst 2.5-10x44 vs. Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42

bulldogto

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
does anyone have experience with both of these scopes? How does the glass compare? Durability? I'm looking for a scope for my rem 700 .223 for paper and coyotes….300 yards or less

I have the Mtac 2.5-10 on a 22-250, and I own a viper pst 1-4 and a 4-16 sfp. I think the glass is better on the Vortex, from a durability standpoint I've never had a problem with either, but the vortex warranty is reassuring. The burris has no illumination, which might be nice for coyotes. I've been less than impressed with the Burris although I don't really have anything bad to say about it. I think the Viper Pst line is really hard to beat in its price range.

The knobs on the MTacs are pretty rudimentary. I'd wait for the Mtac2s being released this month and discussed in another thread. The new MTac2s are really first rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Tried the vortex pst 2.5-10x44 out. To me nice clear optic. A tad heavy for my liking... that being said seemed quite durable. Cant say anything about the Burris sorry

The knobs on the MTacs are pretty rudimentary. I'd wait for the Mtac2s being released this month and discussed in another thread. The new MTac2s are really first rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Have any more info on the MTAC2? I can only find info on the XTR 2

Comparing the Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm SFP scope, which is the older model, to the Burris MTAC. I own the MTAC currently, and also the completely different Viper PST 2.5-10x32mm FFP scope.

The Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm SFP has poor glass quality at 10x, which is where the reticle is calibrated. So poor I found it almost unusable. Based on reviews, this is a design issue, not likely just the example I had. For that reason alone I cannot recommend it to anyone.

The MTAC 3.5-10x scope has, for its price, excellent glass, especially in daytime. It also gets you adjustable parallax through the objective, which works well. For daytime use on a limited budget I think it is a great scope. The knobs are basic, but usable. It is not a fancy or high-end scope, but it has good features for its price point. I have viewed through it from 30 minutes before sunset to almost 30 after and its glass doesn't do well in really dim light, which is typical of most non-premium scopes. I would have the MTAC a half recommendation - it is decent, but not wonderful, and I'm not sure if it's the best value in its price class. For a little more money the SWFA SS 3-9x42mm is a MUCH better scope.

If your budget can accomodate $599 or whatever a used one goes for, look at the SS 3-9x. That will probably also be the most rugged of any scopes in this post.

Another scope you might consider is the Viper PST 2.5-10x32mm FFP scope, a newer PST that has totally different glass. This one actually has really good glass at all magnifications. The exit pupil is smallish at 10x (being 3.2mm) but that's balanced by the scope being relatively small and light. However, this scope has a $799 typical street price, putting it well above the ones you asked about. Although rumor has it Liberty Optics and others may sell them for almost a c-note less than that if you call them up and mention you saw them on the 'Hide.

Yet another scope you might consider is the Weaver Tactical 2-10x36mm, which gets good but not perfect reviews. I don't own and have never seen one in person.

If you need illumination, or just want to go Vortex, the FFP 2.5-10x32mm is a good option. If you don't need illumination or have brand preference, I'd go with the SS.