• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA - initial thoughts

xkjc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Jax, FL
Nothing thorough or too scientific, but I thought I'd contribute my initial thoughts and maybe ease that 'Uh Oh' feeling some members may be experiencing. It wasn’t extensive, but here are my thoughts for now...

Purpose - My first experience with a FFP scope
Expectation - Glass on par or better than VX3L, with more features
Replaces - Leupold VX-3L 6.5-20x56 LR CDS on Rem 700 300WM
Use - Hunting, targets, practice

It was dusk, overcast and drizzling when I got off work and picked this up, so most test were done inside. Nothing robust, and yes I know its vs a VX3L, but here it is:

Outside quick, subjective comparison with remaining daylight and dreary conditions:
- PST crisper and brighter than VX3L. This remains to be tested in other conditions.
- PST knobs are obviously larger, tactical vs the low profile VX3L CDS.
- PST clicks are more audible and firmer than VX3L.
- PST Mag adjust ring was looser than VX3L, but not an issue as its smoother. The VX3L is pretty firm.
- PST Mag adjust ring does not have as many number marking as VX3L. Irrelevant.
- Since it was gloomy and getting dark, I did get to try out the illumination. Neat, but I've never had illum. before so that's all I can say.
- The parallax was more sensitive on the PST, but I could adjust it to a crisper image than on the VX3L - maybe this is saying the same thing.

The cosmetics have been well covered with pics, videos, etc. It’s a nice looking, nice feeling scope. As for robustness, it appears decent but only time and use will tell.

Indoors quick test with USO Boresighter as collimator:
- This collimator is in inches, bold lines every 4”. The scope is MOA.
- At Min and Max magnification, the reticle subtensions were spot on.
- I went up, down, left and right in multiples of 16 clicks, various combinations. I was on the #1 bold line (4”) around the box.
- At Max mag 19 MOA up to my eye put it just touching the 20" line and not off the vertical plane. It may appear to move slightly, but it is still on the vertical line. The scope line is thinner then the collimators.
- At Max mag 19 MOA down, same 20" line and not off the bold vertical line.
- Ditto for windage left and right.

My only complaint is that the plastic/glass ocular of the bikini cover was cracked! Damn, I’m out a few bucks for an alternative solution there. Right now, my existing order for a second one stands and I am looking forward to it. I also hope to get this one to the range/field this weekend or next for a more thorough workout with yardsticks, paper and the smell of gunpowder involved...

Re: Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA - initial thoughts

Finally! A happy customer! Now that's what I was waiting to hear. Please follow up once you've had a chance to put it through it's paces. I'm anxious to hear how one of these does with actual shooting.
Thanks,
Matt

I'd really like to hear more about the 6-24 when you get it tested at the range. I'm especially interested in how clarity/resolution is at 24x versus 6x.
Thank you very much for your initial review! I'm set on getting one for my 338LM, but I can't decide between 4-16 or 6-24.

Thanks for the report. I'm considering this scope for a new rifle that's on the way. I look forward to a range report.

Also looking forward to some reviews/pictures at full 24X zoom.

The best scope I have owned was a bushnell 3200 elite and I sold that to put money up for the vortex.

I am looking forward to seeing how this measures up against my china made tactical scope...HAHA

For shooters like me who have never had a NF or USO, this hopefully will be awesome in comparison to anything else we've owned.

94db2a8a.jpg

That is my pst, taken on 24x with the camera on my cell. The trees are about 800yds away, its in the 90s with a lot of wind.

It's clearer than it looks.

thats a nice picture being its taken with a cell phone wow.

how's the eye relief?

I got the 4-16X and I was happy with the eye relief.
Below is positive post I made in the cut some slack thread.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't order a 6-24x because I didn't have unreasonably high expectations on the glass. I thought the 4-16x would provide more forgiving eye relief and I didn't want to push the envelope of a $800 scope.

Well, sometimes I wonder how good of glass you need. My PST looks fine to me. I was watching every move of a young cottontail from at least 2km yesterday. My rifle is only a 6.5 creedmoor so this is more than good enough for me.

The knobs, though somewhat easy to turn are quite crisp and audible. No issues for me there.
The power ring is smooth and just about right.
The side focus is much the same.
I had concerns about the illumination after reading reviews on another scope that was recently released that was too bright. I was hoping that the lowest would be all but undetectable and would allow the other settings to fall in brighter as per the setting. This is exactly how the illumitation on my scope behaves.
The scope is fairly light and compact. It amazes me that weight is not as much of an issue as click values on scopes on these heavy rifles. I guess most folks will be shooting from mowed lawns or something.
Eye relief is good and I have no complaints about the forgiveness it provides.
The reticle is better than I had hoped for.

If this scope does not allow me to dial to correct my impact I will be very surprised and dissapointed. It seems like it is up to the task for sure.

Did I miss anything?

</div></div>

Well I guess I will be ordering the 6-24. I am glad that there are happy people out there with thier Vipers.

Eye relief is great! No fuzzy or blurred edges through any of the magnification.