• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST FFP 6-24- pre-range review and pics.

LawDog101

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Scope arrived from Rifle Scopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Range Finders | Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss | SportOptics earlier this week. Very happy with the service and price at SportOptics. They are also a Hide sponsor.

Scope appears to be very light in comparison. Comes with the best set of slip over see through covers I have seen. Some folks like them, some down. My ScopeCoat fits nicely.

Sits nicely on the gun. Not too long for a 6-24. Yes, my Savage is dirty. It gets shot.

Turrets are very very smooth and the clicks are audible. I like the texture on the turrets. They are very grippy and easy to manipulate. You can easily feel the movement between clicks. Red line and zero stop shims are nice feature when you forget how many turns you went.

Magnification adjustment is smooth but a little stiff for my tastes. Not terrible, but enough that you have to put some effort into it. Should loosen up a bit with use. The rubber ring around the adjustment is easy to grip but I would have preferred something other than rubber as it is a little hard to get hold of. Again, not terrible but personal preference. Ocular adjustments are very smooth and seem to have enough tension to stay put.

Rest of stuff in the box. Zero stop shims are nice addition. Sunshade is really long and screws in flush with the objective. Manuals offer many nice tips on setup, zeroing, etc.

Glass appears to be very very clear. On par with other scopes in this range. 24x is really nice. Can't wait to zero and get to shooting. Will update with range pics, through scope, and group pics. Love it so far and for the price <$1000, there are not really many options out there especially when you add in the LIFETIME warranty.

Strongly recommend doing business with SportOptics!

LD

I love my PST 6-24. And it behaved very well at Dan's Bag Steel class, out to 1200 yards.

And I also recommend Sport Optics. They give a VERY nice discount for Snipers Hide members.

thanks for the review!! im trying so hard to make my mind up. i cant decide for the life of me if i want the 6-24x50 or 4-16x50 pst in either 1st or 2nd focal plane. the most i have ever spent on a scope before was the 400 dollar range. i just bought a remington 700 aac-sd in 308. gun is mainly going to be used for white tail hunting but i will do a fair share of target shooting. also looking at the weaver tactical 4-20x50. for the price it seems unbeatable but i have no way of looking at one. i want the swfa 5-20x50 but my pockets arent deep enough right now. any suggestions?

thanks for the review!! im trying so hard to make my mind up. i cant decide for the life of me if i want the 6-24x50 or 4-16x50 pst in either 1st or 2nd focal plane. the most i have ever spent on a scope before was the 400 dollar range. i just bought a remington 700 aac-sd in 308. gun is mainly going to be used for white tail hunting but i will do a fair share of target shooting. also looking at the weaver tactical 4-20x50. for the price it seems unbeatable but i have no way of looking at one. i want the swfa 5-20x50 but my pockets arent deep enough right now. any suggestions?
Don't forget to check out the new SWFA 3-15x42. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the viper vortex but its only $699 and gets the job done for what it was intended.

I have the 6 x 24 x 50 VORTEX PST FFP and I love it.
Unless you plan on using the reticle to range your target the 2nd focal plane might be the way to go.
You will save yourself $250 or so.

Hope this helps

I have the 6 x 24 x 50 VORTEX PST FFP and I love it.
Unless you plan on using the reticle to range your target the 2nd focal plane might be the way to go.
You will save yourself $250 or so.

Hope this helps

I have the 6-24x50 PST SFP and, while a very nice scope, I often find myself wishing I'd added the extra 200 or so for the FFP. Not complaining (much), but my bio calculator isn't as fast as it once was, and the FFP looks more attractive every time I look at one.

i cant decide for the life of me if i want the 6-24x50 or 4-16x50 pst in either 1st or 2nd focal plane. the most i have ever spent on a scope before was the 400 dollar range.
I went with the 4-16 in FFP, but later wished I had gone with the 6-24 for the additional magnification without giving up too much at the short end. I found I was never using the 4-16 in the 4-8 range, and almost always using it at 16 and wishing I had more. But others say the 4-16 works fine for them. YMMV

Last edited:
Range report from this weekend. Glass is very clear at all magnifications. Day started out sunny then overcast. Clarity through the scope at all mag levels remained unchanged. Getting the scope zeroed took a little bit because I could not see where it was impacting on the paper. Turns out, I stacked 2 on top of each other right at the edge of the target. Ha! Once I got it on paper, I milled the changes I needed to get it on target, turned the dials and it was on!

After I got it zeroed, I shot this group. Feels good when you can overlap on the paper with all three. Made me very happy. Zeroing out the turrets was very easy. Loosed the three allen screws turn and retighten. Simple. The scope has a red line on top of the turret as a visual indicator. I went home and installed the zero stops. It took 6 shims (15 provided) but now you cannot go more than a mil down past zero. Awesome. I only had steel out to 300y but I dialed the mil number (1.2) from my Bullet flight. Center of 10" disk first shot. I can't wait till I can stretch out!

Thanks to Hide Sponsor SportOptics (I dealt with Jay) for the fast shipping (had a shipping email within 15min) and great price (call them!)

LD

I'm very happy with mine. Amazing features for the price point. I chose the 6-24 FFP for the fact that I wanted to be able to manually range with the reticle. Going to range is fun, but I prefer to be in the mountains.