• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST FFP vs SFP models

Major

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Texas
I currently own a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP that I am very pleased with, but I am now looking to step up in magnification. I am considering both the 4-16x50 and the 6-24x50, but I am wondering how the quality of these models varies between the FFP and the SFP variants. I recall reading that the 2.5-10x44 SFP model, aside from the difference in focal plane, also had inferior glass compared to the 2.5-10x32 FFP. Do the SFP variants of the higher magnification models also have lower quality glass than the FFP variants? Are there any other significant differences (besides the obvious FFP vs SFP)?

I currently own a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP that I am very pleased with, but I am now looking to step up in magnification. I am considering both the 4-16x50 and the 6-24x50, but I am wondering how the quality of these models varies between the FFP and the SFP variants. I recall reading that the 2.5-10x44 SFP model, aside from the difference in focal plane, also had inferior glass compared to the 2.5-10x32 FFP. Do the SFP variants of the higher magnification models also have lower quality glass than the FFP variants? Are there any other significant differences (besides the obvious FFP vs SFP)?

No difference in glass between SFP/FFP.

The 32mm 2.5-10x is a totally different optical system than the 44mm version, and it's performance differences aren't related to focal plane. The 32mm is considered the gem of the PST line, and you may notice a step down in overall glass quality with the larger scopes, though still decent for their price point.

Definitely right on the 32mm Crosshair. That scope is fantastic. i have been through a couple vortex scopes. All were decent, but the 32 stands out for me.