• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST G2 FFP 5x25 vs. others

Butleroutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Last month, I did a 1 mile shot with 6.5 CM and Vortex PST G2. Noticed past 900 yards the Vortex picture was not clear or crisp and was dark. Was a struggle to acquire the target at a mile but managed to do the shot.
I have noticed the PST G2 is really not that crisp/clear at my normal 600 yard range and even compared to the lesser Strike Eagle 5x25, its not crisp-thats not saying much, as the SE is ok due to its price.
Question: thinking about popping smoke on the PST and going to either a different "Tier III scope or jumping to "Tier II" Zero'ing in on these:

Tier II: Steiner TX5i, Tract Toric (4.5x30) Leupold Mk5 HD
Tier III: Burris XTR III, Leupod VX3i LRP, Nikon FX1000 black, Tract Toric (4x20)

18x-20x is fine, need 36+ MOA stata and would like minimal 80 (40up/40 down) MOA internal

I compared the XTR II when purchasing my PST G2, XTR II optics didn't compare, also have look at several VX3i LRPs, but cannot get them to focus properly in the store. Like the Steiner, but concerned its a fairly older design (although that could be a plus).

Any other scope I need to consider and also anyone with experience comparing PST G2 5x25 to scopes listed above in the area of clarity and light transmission?

Not quite a PST, but I sold my Strike Eagle because it was a bit blurry at 800+ yards, especially in bright, sunny desert conditions. That wasn't even at full magnification. I could not get it to adjust correctly even messing with focus and parallax. I'm also THIS close to getting a T5X in 3-18. The LRP if you ask me is a few years behind. Steiner has a coyote brown MX5 right now (5-25) for $2500 on their website, which is a good price! The XTR3 will have much nicer glass than the XTR2. Depending on your budget, you can look into a demo or pre owned NF NX8.
I'm interested in the Tracts as well, the only thing bugging me is the gray finish, I'm pretty OCD about matching colors on my rifles so gray scope on black mounts and black barrel+action just wouldn't work for me...dumb, I know.

Last edited:
I have the PST GenII 3x15 and compared to both my T5Xi 3x15 and 5x25, there is no comparison. The Steiners are way clearer and brighter. The one area of concern with T5Xi is the Chromatic Aberration. My 5x25 had some really bad CA, but I sent it back to Steiner and they replaced it with a corrected scope.

Reactions: gulada97
I have the PST GenII and compared to both my T5Xi 3x15 and 5x25, there is no comparison. The Steiners are way clearer and brighter. The one area of concern with T5Xi is the Chromatic Aberration. My 5x25 had some really bad CA, but I sent it back to Steiner and they replaced it with a corrected scope.
How old is it? I keep seeing websites advertising "2020 GEN 2" models. Would they have fixed that on newer models?

Would they have fixed that on newer models?
The Steiners are about 3 y/o, so I'm not sure what changes came about. The early T5Xi had issues with their elevation turrets that required upgrade/replacement. The CA problem doesn't seem to be as common a complaint here on the Hide like it was a couple of years ago. Perhaps they did some improvements. Regardless, I would not hesitate in purchasing a Steiner again. The used prices here are decent when they do come up.

I have both the PST Gen 2 and the Mark 5 HD (among others) and think the Mark 5 delivers a much better image. But if you want an illuminated reticle, look elsewhere, because it does not have one. Another good scope in that price range to look at would be the Vortex AMG.

I felt the same way about the PST IIs I have bought. I have been disappointed in the glass quality at 800+ yards, as well as the stupid stiff controls. I have the Tract 4.5-30 and a Cronus 4.5-29 now. Both are worlds better than the PST II. Now as far as the Tract and Cronus compared to each other...I will say that once you are over 23-25X the Tract has the edge in resolution. It's not a huge difference, but it's there on mine. And in all fairness both start to fall off after 25X. Overall I like the Tract better for its smoother controls and locking turrets. But for the recent deals you can get on the Cronus, it's a steal.

I also recently got a Tract 4-20 and while I have not spent much time behind it I think its stays good all the way through 20X and has that nice silky feel.

One other thing to think about is the rings....why are 34mm rings so much more expensive than 30mm? It's not that much more metal.

If you don't want to go up too far, the picture on my Athlon Ares ETR is much better than my PST G2 5-25. The eye relief is at the very least much more forgiving. If you have that $1500 budget though, definitely go higher.

Delta Stryker should be on your list. I've tried everything in the sub-$2k market and I feel it's the best value.

Steiner T5xi was very disappointing to me. SWFA HD 5-20 is awesome, but dated. Razor Gen 2 is great, but more expensive than the Stryker and I like the Stryker a hair better. Cronus is a step down from the Delta. Everything else mentioned is a step down from the Cronus.

Stryker 4.5-30x56 had a couple of upgrades on it this year too, turrets are marked differently now, parallax is marked out further now, and they also released a Javelin model in the 4.5-30x that has different turrets with a different rev indicator setup, and different reticles, but apparently, has same glass , same general features as a Stryker, and is made in Japan also. Supposed to be around the 1000.00 mark?

What is your intended use for the scope. Some scopes on that list are better than otheres for different reasons

McMillian: good question/thought, 300-1300 yards regularly, steel, non hunting, non competition. Couple of times a year 1 mile. 6.5 CM, so need the internal elevation and stata. Used 18x on my mile shot, to get to combined 89 MOA due to temp and up angle of the target.

Vortex Razor gen2 from Liberty optics or Athlon Cronus from Cameralandny. Both are excellent scope and both dealers are Hide supporters that give use awesome pricing and support.

Reactions: Rocky59
I have both the PST Gen 2 and the Mark 5 HD (among others) and think the Mark 5 delivers a much better image. But if you want an illuminated reticle, look elsewhere, because it does not have one. Another good scope in that price range to look at would be the Vortex AMG.

Mark 5's are absolutely available with illuminated reticles. I have one.

Razor gen II's and Cronus's are the next step up.

I own the PST II and a Bushy Forge 4.5-27x50 and prefer the Forge. Forge had better "whiter" glass and an easier eyebox. The PST II has more contrast for low light and a better reticle.

Vortex Razor gen2 from Liberty optics or Athlon Cronus from Cameralandny. Both are excellent scope and both dealers are Hide supporters that give use awesome pricing and support.
You said my thoughts exactly he can't go wrong with either of this

Reactions: Average guy