• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex PST Gen1 6-24 FFP Failure

Tacteng

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2019
Competing in a PRS regional match this weekend my scope failed to track/adjust consistently. Getting Dope earlier in the week, I found that there was no adjustment above 13 mils even though the scope could go up to 17.4 mils. I just figured that I would use holdover above this point. Should have been my warning.

After the match, I used a tracking board and discovered no adjustment from 3.1 mils to 6.0 mils also. Anyway, the scope is headed to Vortex and I was rewarded with my first last place finish :(

I've been looking at Vortex scopes. How much use did the elevation and windage knobs see? Did you change elevation several, or more, times each and every time you practiced and competed? How many years did you have the scope before it failed?

Arken........SH4 or an EP5. When Vortex replaces it, keep in in the box as new and dump it at a gun show!
I've been looking at Vortex scopes. How much use did the elevation and windage knobs see? Did you change elevation several, or more, times each and every time you practiced and competed? How many years did you have the scope before it failed?
If you have to ask how much the elevation and windage knobs have been used, or if they were used every time the gun was fired, you should look somewhere else!

Reactions: FuhQ
I've been seeing a lot of folks taking about running the Arken EP5's for .22 comps lately. They seem to be happy with them. I have had an EP5 since they came out last year, and it's been a great scope. I also have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56, and while they both have their merits, the Arken EP5's glass is better. And the turrets are more robust and tactile. It also has tons of elevation travel, and I really like their VPR reticle, with the floating dot in the middle.

I also own quite a few of the older Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 scopes, which are the same scope as the PST Gen1, minus the FFP and illuminated reticle). They even have the same glass, turrets, and scope body. And I was impressed that my Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 scopes are better than the old HS-T's when it comes to brightness, clarity, and field of view throughout the magnification range, and they're on sale for $299 right now. You can literally buy 2 of them for what one HS-T cost.

Just my thoughts having owned and compared tons of scopes. I'm unbiased, but facts are facts. Technology is getting cheaper to build, and better quality, all at the same time. And Arken, Vortex, Athlon, Primary Arms, Riton, and other similar scopes are proof of this. Just because something cost more, doesn't mean it's always better. It's not like it was 10, 15, 20 years ago...Where optics cost was a more accurate indicator of quality and precision. Back in the day, the old saying was "Spend twice on your glass, what you did on your gun." and that was a correct thing 10-20 years ago. But things have changed drastically in the last 10 years as far as optics technology goes. You no longer have to spend $2-3K to get a decent LR scope. Now companies are packing features and quality glass into $500-$1000 scopes, that 15-20 years ago you couldn't even get until you hit the $2,000 mark.

I know people love to hate on the Arkens because they're built in China, but that doesn't automatically make them shit. Would I prefer if they were made somewhere else? Sure. But those same scopes would cost 2-3x what they do now. But I'm also not one of idiot hypocrites that acts like China is the antichrist, while typing on a Chinese-built smartphone or computer, and watching a MiC TV, and using an internet modem built in China, and all the other odd & end shit around my house that was probably made in China, too. It just is what it is, whether we like it or not. The world governments have made us all dependent on China for cheap products and labor.

Reactions: EWS
I have owned this scope for 3 Years and purchased it new. I use the elevation knob anytime I shoot past 75 yards in a comp or in practice. I guess I have adjusted all the way up and down 100 times. I have babied this scope. You buy a Scope with adjustable exposed turrets to use them.

I've been seeing a lot of folks taking about running the Arken EP5's for .22 comps lately. They seem to be happy with them. I have had an EP5 since they came out last year, and it's been a great scope. I also have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56, and while they both have their merits, the Arken EP5's glass is better. And the turrets are more robust and tactile. It also has tons of elevation travel, and I really like their VPR reticle, with the floating dot in the middle.

I also own quite a few of the older Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 scopes, which are the same scope as the PST Gen1, minus the FFP and illuminated reticle). They even have the same glass, turrets, and scope body. And I was impressed that my Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 scopes are better than the old HS-T's when it comes to brightness, clarity, and field of view throughout the magnification range, and they're on sale for $299 right now. You can literally buy 2 of them for what one HS-T cost.

Just my thoughts having owned and compared tons of scopes. I'm unbiased, but facts are facts. Technology is getting cheaper to build, and better quality, all at the same time. And Arken, Vortex, Athlon, Primary Arms, Riton, and other similar scopes are proof of this. Just because something cost more, doesn't mean it's always better. It's not like it was 10, 15, 20 years ago...Where optics cost was a more accurate indicator of quality and precision. Back in the day, the old saying was "Spend twice on your glass, what you did on your gun." and that was a correct thing 10-20 years ago. But things have changed drastically in the last 10 years as far as optics technology goes. You no longer have to spend $2-3K to get a decent LR scope. Now companies are packing features and quality glass into $500-$1000 scopes, that 15-20 years ago you couldn't even get until you hit the $2,000 mark.

I know people love to hate on the Arkens because they're built in China, but that doesn't automatically make them shit. Would I prefer if they were made somewhere else? Sure. But those same scopes would cost 2-3x what they do now. But I'm also not one of idiot hypocrites that acts like China is the antichrist, while typing on a Chinese-built smartphone or computer, and watching a MiC TV, and using an internet modem built in China, and all the other odd & end shit around my house that was probably made in China, too. It just is what it is, whether we like it or not. The world governments have made us all dependent on China for cheap products and labor.
I am looking at Both the EP5 and The Vortex Venom to go on my CZ455 and run it in production class.

My open gun is a fully decked out CZ 457 which I have been running with the Failed PST Gen 1.

If you send your Gen1 scope in, most likely they don't support that scope anymore so they'll send a brand new Gen2 5-25 to replace it. They do have a very good warranty service, but the object of the exercise is not to NEED that. Good luck with your choice.

I am looking at Both the EP5 and The Vortex Venom to go on my CZ455 and run it in production class.

My open gun is a fully decked out CZ 457 which I have been running with the Failed PST Gen 1.

Get the ep5. I just got an ep5. Don’t have it mounted yet but comparing it to my strike eagle 5-25 it is superior in every way. The venom is even lower on the vortex tiers.

David

Reactions: FuhQ
> Anyway, the scope is headed to Vortex and I was rewarded with my first last place finish

This exact thing happened to me in Jan 2021. First and only last place finish I've ever had. Scope didn't track, and the zero wandered to boot. Guess who doesn't recommend non-razor vortex scopes now?

I still have several Vortex scopes, Strike Eagle 34mm, PST 1 and 2, And gen II razor.

All perform well.

I have witnessed a few Razor fails, a NF ATACR that failed mechanically, and other high ends that failed due to abuse.

I prefer Vortex and Burris myself.

Last edited:
@Tacteng
I have several Vortex`s & Burris`s. Couple Strike Eagle 5-25x56, couple Venom 5-25x56. I have many Burris Signature HD`s, 3-15x44`s, 5-25x50, all are superb for the price`s i bought them at, which i capitalized on big sales when i bought them all. Of all the scopes i have, i have never had to send any scope back for a problem. I guess i`ve been pretty lucky in that respect. Sorry you had problems with yours.

EDIT: I retracted my comment`s about Arken. I`ll move my comment/opinion to a new thread on its own. This isn`t the proper place to say what i have to say about Arken. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple Arken scopes, bought directly from them, website said they were in stock, they shipped right away! They even came out with the promo code for the free combo pack right after I bought my last one, I sent an e mail and they sent the combo pack , free to me, after the fact. I say pretty good customer service.

I had a Diamondback Tactical( because at the time I was brand new to this and didn't know any better) that failed tracking in the Snipershide PRS course. As I know now, not a surprise at all. On my way home from the course, I stopped at Vortex to return the scope. They exchanged it for a new one and told me it was my fault. They were very nice about it and that was that. The guy also said at that time, I got the ONLY scope they had on hand that day . This was during SHTF with covid, so no one had much. I guess they were waiting for their shipment from China also???????

• Haha
Reactions: rothgyr
All 4 of my Arkens arrived within a week from the time I got the shipped email notification.

They have been blowing out scopes for huge discounts lately, so they’re probably selling (and shipping) a ton of them out. That’s probably why they’re behind. No affiliation, and not making any excuses for them, just saying that could be a possibility, and their excuse could possibly be legit.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
No affiliation, and not making any excuses for them, just saying that could be a possibility, and their excuse could possibly be legit.
I would guess that is the story. My dealings with them have been very good.