• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Happy Frustration- FIXED!!!!

Re: Vortex PST Happy Frustration- FIXED!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be interesting to see how the new scopes they released (or announced) at SHOT are. Supposedly they have far more travel, and will be available with HORUS reticles I think.</div></div>

the lovely people working the Bushnell booth had no clue about this scope, if you wanted to get any info on it you had to talk to the Horus guys, I wouldn't count on seeing it for a year or longer, which is a damn shame, it was a real nice scope

Yeah, I think Bushnell has the ability to produce a winner, but they dont seem to care about the tactical guys as much as companies like Vortex and Falcon do. They just tried to get their feet in the door without trying and make some easy money.

OK guys you may have seen some of my posts about my "first run" Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex Custom Turret.

Incase you haven't:

First off when I received the scope I had already made my drop chart with another scope. I called Vortex to have a custom elevation turret made and in one week it was in my hand. The turret is dead nuts on to the drops that I gave Vortex.

Since I have had this scope since last summer it has preformed exactly as advertised!!! "EXCEPT" the turrets did move a few times which I found out was because while I slid the rifle & scope on to the back seat of the truck it would catch in the cloth fabric and they would turn a few clicks. Actually it was a good learning experience because it made me check the turrets before I shot.
Other than that was the only issue I had with the scope and I could have lived with it.

I measured the clicks and the hash marks against a yard stick at 100 yds. and everything seemed to measure correctly. The vertical part of the reticle was made plumb against my neighbors house which is 100 yds. away from my back deck.

Vortex offered to replace this scope with a new "fixed" one which I am doing. Why not get a new one and not having a scope with that one issue out there.

Here it is:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

gt40

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Since I have had this scope since last summer it has preformed exactly as advertised!!! "EXCEPT" the turrets did move a few times which I found out was because while I slid the rifle & scope on to the back seat of the truck it would catch in the cloth fabric and they would turn a few clicks. Actually it was a good learning experience because it made me check the turrets before I shot.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Other than that was the only issue I had with the scope and I could have lived with it.</span>
</div></div>

Ahhh finally some in the flesh evidence to back up what Ive been saying this whole time. Only one issue, and minor enough that he would've been fine with it.

Thanks for the review 40, Im jealous that you already have yours.

Oh, one last question 40gt, what issue would you have rather had the PST have? The loose turrets? Or only 12 total mils of elevation? (41 moa)
grin.gif
I guess this could backfire on me if you arent using it for long range work.

I just can't believe how anyone holds their breath for stuff that is prototyped or talked about at SHOT like its gonna be available sometime soon....

The PST may or may not be a good scope for the money, but I'm damned glad I didn't commit to waiting for one last year....

Re: Vortex PST Happy Frustration

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PST line is cursed. </div></div>
Sorry to blow your back peddling but I would have to say that's a little negative.

I don't know. Is it just me?
When someone tries to make standards or proclamations for others it just makes me go berzerk! (hehehe)

Anyways, what's his name...eleaf. Yeah, your not all that, at least not to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Methinks thou dost think far too highly of thyself...
</div></div>+1

It has been said time and again. Vortex did not stop production make changes to their PST line because there were major problems with the scope. They did so to address an admittedly overly critical review by Jon A and other comments by others here on the SH. To many that shows how much Vortex is concerned about their product.
eleaf says there were other reasons for Vortex pulling production but does not and can not say what they were.
He just says you are gullible if you don't believe him. Really?

Wait a minute! I just realized I already posted on another thread about this when this same dude unfairly called the PST line a piece of shit.

OK I think we got it. eleaf does not like the PST scope and is trying to hurt their sales. Either go along with him or ignore him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PST line is cursed. </div></div>
Sorry to blow your back peddling but I would have to say that's a little negative.

I don't know. Is it just me?
When someone tries to make standards or proclamations for others it just makes me go berzerk! (hehehe)

Anyways, what's his name...eleaf. Yeah, your not all that, at least not to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Methinks thou dost think far too highly of thyself...
</div></div>+1

It has been said time and again. Vortex did not stop production make changes to their PST line because there were major problems with the scope. They did so to address an admittedly overly critical review by Jon A and other comments by others here on the SH. To many that shows how much Vortex is concerned about their product.
eleaf says there were other reasons for Vortex pulling production but does not and can not say what they were.
He just says you are gullible if you don't believe him. Really?

Wait a minute! I just realized I already posted on another thread about this when this same dude unfairly called the PST line a piece of shit.

OK I think we got it. eleaf does not like the PST scope and is trying to hurt their sales. Either go along with him or ignore him.
</div></div>

If that's what you read in my posts, you need some reading comprehension lessons.

I never said that they pulled it for "other" reasons, but for <span style="font-weight: bold">some</span> design/manufacturing flaw. Companies don't halt production and redesign a product based on "an overly critical review" on a forum website. I don't know what the reasons were, and I never claimed I did. But I can use basic common sense, and common sense says that businesses don't halt production and redesign a product shortly after releasing it because there wasn't really a problem other than with some guy on some website.

I never said that <span style="font-weight: bold">no one</span> should order their scope, but that <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> wouldn't order one until there were favorable reviews. If me saying I wouldn't order a scope that had to be redesigned after halting production is interpreted as me "trying to hurt their sales" there is some pure stupid floating around. If it's interpreted as me being some kind of self-enlightened guru, knower of all, again, there is some pure stupid floating around.

If a product is released, then quickly thereafter production is halted despite HUGE demand and backordered sales and has t go through a redesign in order to fix whatever problems the product was having, IT IS A PIECE OF SHIT. I worte that the ORIGINAL PST scopes were a piece of shit. NOT the PST line. If they were so good, why are they replacing them FOR FREE with the new ones? Because some guy on a website was overly critical? I doubt it.

Y'all need some reading comprehension tutoring. You're reading what you want to read, not anything that resembles what was actually written. You conveniently either ignore or simply skip over half of the argument and cherry pick what you want without any context whatsoever.

I'm done here unless someone can demonstrate that they can actually read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Other than that was the only issue I had with the scope and I could have lived with it.</span>
</div></div>

Ahhh finally some in the flesh evidence to back up what Ive been saying this whole time. Only one issue, and minor enough that he would've been fine with it.

Thanks for the review 40, Im jealous that you already have yours.

Oh, one last question 40gt, what issue would you have rather had the PST have? The loose turrets? Or only 12 total mils of elevation? (41 moa)
grin.gif
I guess this could backfire on me if you arent using it for long range work. </div></div>

The scope I have is the 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a Custom Turret from Vortex.

I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs & CCI BR4 primers and a healthy dose of Varget. As you can see it drops like a brick. My zero is 200 yds. and the 105s "with my Rifle" drops 8" at 300 yds. and 21.5" at 400 yds. which I measured accurately when making the drop chart. I used these drops to order the Custom Turret from Vortex. And when you look at the first 400 yd. target I shot by turning the custom turret to "4" for 400 yds. you can see that Vortex know their stuff.

Now to answer your question about which I would rather have is a no brainer. I would rather have more vertical adjustment then having tighter turret resistance.

This is what my set up did when I was in Wyoming:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=

40gt

PS: Hope this helps to dispel most of the negativity about this scope. If the new one functions the same as the one I returned with the turret resistance the way Vortex wants it I will be a very happy camper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT IS A PIECE OF SHIT. I worte that the ORIGINAL PST scopes were a piece of shit. </div></div>

I think this is part of the disconnect, Eleaf. You, who do not own a PST, are telling a guy who owns one of the originals, and according to his posts is quite satisfied with it, that it is a piece of shit. Can you not understand how stupid that sounds from where we sit.

I totally understand your concerns, and have had some of them myself. But what is the draw here for you? Are you seriously considering buying one of these? Or do you just like to piss on other people's parade?

You keep saying you're done... and then you're not.

If you want to take part in a healthy discussion that's fine. I've seen you do it other threads. I know you can be a reasonable person. But you keep displaying this level of antagonism in the PST threads that makes me wonder why you have such an axe to grind with Vortex.

If you want to start a "Vortex is a Horrible Manufacturer Because..." or "The PST Rollout is an Evil Plot" thread, be my guest. But these threads are NOT about you and your agenda, so get on topic or don't let the door hit you in the ass.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People keep saying that another issue with them was reticle cant. THIS WAS NOT A WIDESPREAD ISSUE, and it technically wasnt even an issue on the one scope that you hear about having it. One guy did a review saying he had 2 degrees of reticle cant based on a $70 boresighter (not bashing Jon A here). First off, the amount he had (if what he measured was correct) is within several companies QC for reticle cant. Second, the devices Vortex and others use to measure the reticles straigtness cost several thousands of dollars and can measure a bit more accurately than a leupold zero point. So we shouldnt even assume his reticle was canted that much until it was measured on qualified equipment.</div></div>
A couple things:

First, the cant was only about one degree, not two.

Secondly, I think you’re misunderstanding my purpose for checking these things. I’m not a QA guy at the factory collecting metrics, I don’t care to measure something within .01 or .02 degrees, or even .1 or .2 degrees for that matter. All I’m looking for is an error in the scope large enough I need to compensate for it at long range. Over 1 degree is large enough, and consequently, not that difficult to detect.

I don’t need a $20000 Comparator to tell me a part is an inch too long or too short. A ruler works just fine. And many things will work for 1 degree of cant (much less two degrees). If you don’t like a boresighter you can do it for free on the edge of a building, the edge of a doorframe, the edge of a windowframe, the edge of a targetframe, the edge of a yardstick, etc, the options are infinite. The point is it’s enough error you do not need thousands of dollars worth of equipment to discover it—you can do it for free if you just look for it in the correct manor. It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They may of had issues but the real question is. How are the new ones? </div></div>

In both of my new ones the reticles are straight as an arrow and the click values are dead nuts on. As accurately as I can measure, anyway…which is all the accuracy I need…so it’s all the accuracy I care about.

While I strongly disagree with eleaf’s tenor through most of this thread, the one thing I do agree with him about is this: I don’t think nearly highly enough of myself to believe that Vortex stopped production and re-did the scopes on my say-so. Had they pulled a few units off the shelf to check and concluded that either my scope was an aberration or I didn’t know my ass from a hole in the ground, it’s highly unlikely they would have stopped production and made efforts to address the issues.

And in quite the contrary to what eleaf has said throughout the thread, I feel <span style="font-weight: bold">MORE</span> confident recommending these scopes to people due to all this. Vortex showed they actually care and put forth great amounts of effort and expense to ensure the precision of these scopes well beyond other manufacturer’s tolerances (even for much more expensive scopes).

I would have to say that being a novice long range shooter that shooting is like any other sport. i thought the best scope in the world was the BIG L and after spending some time on here and reading as much as a person can i find out there are (other) scopes out there costing 3 to 4xs as much. I am glad to see review for this new pst scope it looks promising and hope it is what its cracked up to be but to pass judgement on a scope you have never held, looked through, shot with, or had infield is a lil harsh. I am not a wealthy person and could never justify spending 3grand on a scope to dispatch steel plates. i deal with the cheaper sfp scopes but for under THE BIG Ls 1500dollar price range hell yeah ill bite ona vortex if it works as should. I have also heard rummored that Bushnell is Vortex and visa versa i have not found a thread on that but if someone knows more than me please verify for me. I heard that bushnell was selling all enventory and Vortex was actually a company of bushnell? any help would be cool. I would say the whole argument goes back to the Ford Vs. Chevy. maybe its just a prefrence we have all heard storys leupold had canted reticles from the factory i honestly cant wait to see some more reviews and personally get to hold a pst. for the price the ffp and the reticles i agree 100% that the bushnells didnt have the adj. that other scopes did but when Natchez had the 6x24x50 ffp for 699.00 and side focus it took about 2 weeks to empty the inventory so i guess its just what can you live with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And in quite the contrary to what eleaf has said throughout the thread, I feel <span style="font-weight: bold">MORE</span> confident recommending these scopes to people due to all this. Vortex showed they actually care and put forth great amounts of effort and expense to ensure the precision of these scopes well beyond other manufacturer’s tolerances (even for much more expensive scopes).
</div></div>

This is absolutely the sign of a reputable company. One worth dealing with. No question.

But FOR ME, not until the new product has been properly vetted by the community.

i can understand both sides of that fence there is no reason to spend good hard earned money on something that is not tried and true. leupold has been out for years. they've had time to work the bugs out. the new vortex scopes are all the rage and seem to be becoming the popular scope to own from all the reviews but im with some on this too and am sure not alone that even if customer service is top notch if it spends more time in transit or at the factory miswell put good ol' iron sights back on. we will give it some time to circulate and see what happens thats what i love about being monentairly challenged let the wealthy testem if they get blown up and survive im sure ill be on the waiting list as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickkillaught6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"> I have also heard rummored that Bushnell is Vortex and visa versa i have not found a thread on that but if someone knows more than me please verify for me. I heard that bushnell was selling all enventory and Vortex was actually a company of bushnell?</span> </div></div>

I can assure you that this is absolutely not the case.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickkillaught6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">leupold has been out for years. they've had time to work the bugs out.</div></div>

Yet they still have canted reticles and break all the time. Hell when ilya did his high dollar scope shoot the FFP mil mil horus leupie he had as an eval scope had a canted reticle
frown.gif
Vortex may be new but at least they are putting in some effort to attract my business.