• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST news ?????

winxp_man

Firearm Pimp
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Sacto, CA
I havent heard anything any more. Has anyone else ? whats going on ?

thanks for any info.

Re: Vortex PST news ?????

Last I heard was that they stopped production to fix issues on the early releases.

that I remember but any new info on some expected release dates maybe ?

I've been told January from a Major Vortex dealer here on the hide.

One of their employees mentioned this wee in a forum that they were still *aiming* for shipping this year, but that there was no certainty at all. The ETA is *estimated.*

Mike, what are you guys recommending at the roughly $850 price point as an alternative for folks who just cant wait another 4-6 months for Vortex to get their act together?

SS10xHD. Save $50 and more than likely better glass, only downside its not variable.

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for folks who just cant wait another 4-6 months for Vortex to get their act together?</div></div>

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do take some issue with statements like this. Vortex has their act together, that's why they haven't released the next batch of PSTs. They are working to provide scopes with the best value with all the features we shooters asked for. They have slowed down the release to make sure the next batch comes out right, yet guys flame them for that.

The only real complaint I heard about the first batch was that the turrets spun a little too easily. Now I'll bet they could have released another 1,000 scopes with that "issue" and the market would have snatched them all up. Instead they chose to go back to the drawing board to improve the scopes before anymore were released. I'm sure this has cost them some sales, but it proves to me that Vortex is more concerned about the quality of their product and their customers than they are about a quick profit.

If you absolutely need a scope to use between now and then, I do suggest the Super Sniper 3-9x42 mil/mil scope as it's a heck of a value.

Jason, I was saying the same thing 3 months ago. And I said the same thing when people were impatient for release 2 months before that.

They are clearing out the quality issues in their platform and apparently their manufacturing chain is so awful that we are already months down the road with no end in sight. Hence, yes, literally getting their act together to bring this scope back to market.

I agree the changes need to be made, I agree they are doing the right thing to bring the scope to market when its ready. I too think they should be commended for listening to the community and being willing to make the change, and have been quite vociferous on the point.

That doesn't negate the fact that it had a quality issue or that thier suppliers, etc, are so slow that a feature fix has people thinking as late as January or February. I am one of those people that when a problem is presented, likes to see a solution, hence eliciting a recommendation on where people should go if they cant wait that long.

Personally, I will continue to wait to get the product I pre-ordered at the start of the year.

Agreed Odd-6 and I should have mentioned that I didn't mean to single out your comment, more aimed at the angry masses (who are really about 10 people that post a lot).

if anybody should be pissed at Vortex it should be me, I preorded 6 of those damn Vipers right after SHOT and over the last few months have slowly canceled the orders and bought Razors, I am happy I did this but really wish the viper would of came out right the first time.

I will keep waiting for the PST as I love the concept I just want them to be right. I have a Vortex Razor EBR-1 so I want the same reticle on a PST on my trainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will keep waiting for the PST as I love the concept I just want them to be right. </div></div>

+1 here

Last time I spoke to Scott from Liberty optics he said that they are still estimating mid fall of this year for the PST Viper I ordered.

I'm like alot of the other members here I'll wait for it to be right.

I have a PST on order also, talked to Scott (Vortex) and he told me it might be possible I will have it by my Nov elk hunt but not to count on it, so I talked to Scott (Liberty Optics) and he set me up with a viper, I really like the viper so it makes waiting for the PST that much harder LOL anyway when it all ends I will own 2 quality scopes in the end :)

I went ahead and cancled my two orders for PST's. I would have loved to have a FFP scope, for the first time, and save some money but I've gotten a little scared that the problems may be more than just turrets, hence the continuous delays. I've opted to dish out more money, which kills me, and picked up an old reliable NF and am trying out an IOR for the first time. I can still use a PST in the future but that will have to wait till I see reviews on the next batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for folks who just cant wait another 4-6 months for Vortex to get their act together?</div></div>

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do take some issue with statements like this. Vortex has their act together, that's why they haven't released the next batch of PSTs. They are working to provide scopes with the best value with all the features we shooters asked for. They have slowed down the release to make sure the next batch comes out right, yet guys flame them for that.

The only real complaint I heard about the first batch was that the turrets spun a little too easily. Now I'll bet they could have released another 1,000 scopes with that "issue" and the market would have snatched them all up. Instead they chose to go back to the drawing board to improve the scopes before anymore were released. I'm sure this has cost them some sales, but it proves to me that Vortex is more concerned about the quality of their product and their customers than they are about a quick profit.

</div></div>

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Vortex is aiming for before the end of this year

Even though I dont plan on buying the pst when it is relesed, I dont see the wait time a problem. If the wait time leads to a product that does not fail, then what is the problem with waiting.

I applaud Vortex for doing the right thing, but you need to verify and validate your product before launch. There should have been specs on the force required to turn the turrets and then it should have been verified that the manufactured product met those specs. The specs should have been validated against what users expected. I haven't canceled my order yet but a 2011 delivery date is pushing it for me.

I missed most of the the early release dramas so just to confirm. The main concern people have had with the first run of PSTs is the 'soft' turrets?

Or has something more serious cropped up since they were released?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droopz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main concern people have had with the first run of PSTs is the 'soft' turrets?

Or has something more serious cropped up since they were released? </div></div>

Having a 4-16x pst, my only issue has been the turret resistance or "soft turrets". Otherwise, I am impressed with it. Vortex is redesigning the turret and that reason for the the delay.

jasonk said:
Oddball-Six said:
Vortex has their act together, that's why they haven't released the next batch of PSTs. quote]

If they had their act together they would not have released the first ones.

You have these problems when you market some one elses product. That is the biggest problem with being a trade name. You truly have no control over the manufacturing process. I sold trade name products for years. I made alot of profit(because that is what trade name companies do), but never had the control that I would have liked to have had. Nor does Vortex. Tom.

i shot with a guy a few weeks ago(coldboremiricle on the hide) that got one of the first ones.he liked it so much that he didnt send it back when they were recalled. i heard that the reason that they were recalled was because the turrets turned to easy, is there any truth to that?

well i hope we will see them soon
laugh.gif

seems like there are arguments on both sides. people that think that they never should have released a scope with issues like this and people that say its all good because there fixing them now.

the only problem that i would see is that if the release with issues made a problem and added to the delay of the scopes. I for me i couldnt wait any longer and bought different scopes for now. I will wait and see how it goes with them once they are fully released and out on the shelf.

I had two pre-ordered viper pst's and two rifles without scopes waiting to be shot.. I ordered mine 3 or 4 months before the release date. The scopes didn't come out on time and I gave them more time. I cancelled my order a couple weeks ago.

I was really excited for the features of this scope. I wish the best to vortex. Wish they just could of put out their product when they first said they would.

i ordered a pst way back in march and was going to cancel but when i went shooting with the previously mentioned hide member and was able to really look at a pst i was convinced to just hold out on me order. it looked and felt like a really good quality scope, and the turrets didnt seem to loose.

yep it's a tough wait but I am happy they are concerned enough to get things right and have a top notch product....even though the wait is long.

I've opted to get a nightforce 3.5-15 FFP to use in the meantime.......it should be the easiest scope to sell when my PST comes and will re-coup most of my $$$......at least that is my thinking at the moment. I may keep both. :))

Jim

Well I have a 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP and love it. If I didn't read about the turrets being a little loose I never would have thought it needed to be fixed.

I just got back from Wyoming and was amazed at what this scope can do for your long range shooting. I got a custom turret from Vortex calibrated in yards. My zero is 200 yds and it is dead nuts on at 300+400+500+600+700+800+900+1000+1100+1200 yards.

I also love the fine reticle when it is on 6 power. Once you use it a few times you won't like a SFP scope any more. When I shot the coyote at 400 yds. I could hold the cross hair on its ear or eye if I wanted too even at 6x.

Now I need another rifle so I can get another one.

Take a look here: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886

40gt