• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST or Sightron SIII

pschwenke

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2010
I've narrowed my choices to the scopes listed above. The scope will only be used for Targets. Range of 100 to 600 yards mainly but, would like to get out to 1K. The Viper PST in the newest and has a lot of nice features. Finding a PST may be difficult right now but, I could wait. Would 24 power be enough for 600 yard target shooting?

My current scope is a Wotac 4x14 on my 5R and I like it but, would like more magnification for F-class competitions. The Sightron 8-32 with the 1/8" dot or Fine cross hair model are my choices if I head this way. Any opinions? I'm not ruling out the MOA-2 recticle. It's similar to the Wotac. One thing I noticed with the Wotac, the center cross hair covers a 1" dot at 200 yards. I'd like to see more of the target. I'm trying to keep the price under $900. Otherwise I'd jump up to the NF Benchrest scopes.

Paul

Re: Vortex PST or Sightron SIII

Tag.. very interested in the comments on this. I am in the same boat..but I dont have a current scope to use.

I like the sightron SIII series of scopes. I have yet to handle the PST but I have used the higher end Vortex and they are nice scopes also. I would buy whatever one you can find right now.

I will chime in for the Sightron...

I have the SIII 6-24 LRD, and I love it. Great glass and excellent tracking. BUT....the turrets on the PST are going to be nicer, unless you wait for the new 2011 Sightron SIII LRMOA models to come out.

That should be your real question...."Vortex PST or the 2011 Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA".....there, I just reworded your question for you.

And to answer that question, I am in the scope market as well and I am going to wait for the Sightron!
wink.gif

It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST... </div></div>

Why....so you can range at any power??? Which by the way, is a very small percentage of how you will use your reticle. You will also most likely be dialing for distance 99% of your time.....and....

I found in our small comps, that most shooters are always on the highest power anyway (target shooting)with scopes in the 6-24 power range or even the 8-32 power range.....I and all my buddies I shoot with have found that when shooting comps from 100 yards to 1000 yards we never change to a lower power. BUT 100 yards is the closest targets we shoot at AND we don't need to quickly move from close target to close target. So for an application like that...I see no reason for an FFP scope. Maybe one day I will find a scenario that changes my mind
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST... </div></div>

Why....so you can range at any power??? Which by the way, is a very small percentage of how you will use your reticle. You will also most likely be dialing for distance 99% of your time....</div></div>

Or when shooting multiple targets quickly, using the reticle for holds, as in a prairie dog town. Start out in the early a.m. when it is cool, at say 24x. Then by 10a.m. it warms up, mirage is a bitch and you drop down to 16x or so.

With a FFP scope, holds will be the same at all powers.

'Course, one could range and dial every prairie rat but that takes time when there is killin' to be done.

To each his own. I use ranging FFP rets for holds much more than for ranging. I have a laser for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST... </div></div>

Why....so you can range at any power??? Which by the way, is a very small percentage of how you will use your reticle. You will also most likely be dialing for distance 99% of your time....</div></div>

Or when shooting multiple targets quickly, using the reticle for holds, as in a prairie dog town. Start out in the early a.m. when it is cool, at say 24x. Then by 10a.m. it warms up, mirage is a bitch and you drop down to 16x or so.

With a FFP scope, holds will be the same at all powers.

'Course, one could range and dial every prairie rat but that takes time when there is killin' to be done.

To each his own. I use ranging FFP rets for holds much more than for ranging. I have a laser for that. </div></div>

Good example....I think I need to hit the prairie dog towns A LOT more often!
grin.gif

I know there are die hard FFP guys out there, but I have yet to see the true value.....maybe some day the light will go on for me. In our small little comps, we do have timed events, but then again I NEVER EVER EVER change to a lower power setting, and that's using a NightForce 5-22X50....

Target shooting is entirely different then hunting. You will know the range to the ranges, and never use less than 10 or 12 power, most of the time you will be using much more magnification, often the max that your scope will allow. Paradoxically if you are shooting at close range prone or of the bench you will find that you are also using a lot of magnification. At close range some of the disadvantages of a lot of magnification like mirage disappear. There must be a reason that the people who actually win the matches scopes with a lot of magnification more than 24x and rifles build to compete in that discipline. The guy with that tactical .308 rig and 24x scope isn’t going to have a chance in f-open, it got so bad they had to make a different class for them.

As far as i know, F/TR has always been a class in f-class.

There is a very good chance I'm wrong.

FWIW, for shooting F class, I think that you will find a SFP scope is preferable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST... </div></div>

Why....so you can range at any power???

I found in our small comps, that most shooters are always on the highest power anyway (target shooting)with scopes in the 6-24 power range or even the 8-32 power range.</div></div>

Yes, that's certainly one advantage. The 8-32 Sightron is set for proper mil spacing at 24x according to their website, so at that point the dots are useless at 32x and you might as well get fine crosshairs only.

It's of most interest to me for something like prairie dog hunting, where you know you've got a mil's drop based on distance but don't want to dial in for every shot - you can hold the scope a mil over, take your shot, and move on.

If one is going to have mil dots, moa dots, crosshatches, or the like, I see no reason not to put the reticle in the first focal plane.

John

I have a 6x 24 PST heading my way that I expect to get by weeks end. I'll mount and compare it to a 6 x24 sightron siii that i have . And for reference I'll pull out my night force 5.5 x 22 scope. I am a fan of the Sightron glass. I use mine for targets @ 1000 yards.

I am VERY interested in the results usmc80.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes, that's certainly one advantage. The 8-32 Sightron is set for proper mil spacing at 24x according to their website, so at that point the dots are useless at 32x and you might as well get fine crosshairs only.
</div></div>

You can still hold off and you can still dial if you aren't math phobic.

Most people prefer SFP for shooting at static distances. Reticle is personal preference, there is no law that says you have to have a fine crosshair or dot to do well.

If I were the OP I'd wait for more PST reviews before making my decision.

When it comes to SFP optics under $1000 with matching reticle/knob increments, this question will be asked a lot in the near future, guaranteed. Look forward to the answers.

Scott

I'd prefer the PST for the turrets and zero-stop. As for FFP vs. SFP, with a well-designed reticle, an FFP scope can do everything an SFP scope can. The opposite is not true. FWIW, the 4-16 would be plenty of magnification.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's my main concern with the PST. Would the reticle cover too much of the target as it does with my Wotac at 200 yards? Wouldn't the FFP scope be even worse? I would guess the F-class targets are much larger than the free target I'm using off 6mmBR.com (first one in section). Instead of being an el-cheapo, I should spring for some larger targets! The Zero stop & illuminated reticle are nice but, the objective is fairly small in comparison to the Sightron. How does the glass compare between the PST & SIII? I really like the idea of range finding with the scope. Haven't used this feature much though. I do use the extra moa/mil marks in the Wotac.

Unfortunately, a higher power scope does have advantages. I originally though 14 power would be enough but, it looks like I could benefit from more.

At our club, most of our shoots are based on caliber & barrel diameter. Never seen a low power scope do very well. If you have open sights, forget about it. I didn't set it up but, I have said my peace. Most of the people running it have never been to a rifle or pistol match at any level. Our match should be easy to win however, F-class is in my future. Only shot out to 600 yards once with the Wotac scope.

Paul

Wish we had a decent gun store to compare all the scopes at once!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the replies. Here's my main concern with the PST. Would the reticle cover too much of the target as it does with my Wotac at 200 yards? Wouldn't the FFP scope be even worse? I would guess the F-class targets are much larger than the free target I'm using off 6mmBR.com (first one in section). Instead of being an el-cheapo, I should spring for some larger targets! The Zero stop & illuminated reticle are nice but, the objective is fairly small in comparison to the Sightron. How does the glass compare between the PST & SIII? I really like the idea of range finding with the scope. Haven't used this feature much though. I do use the extra moa/mil marks in the Wotac.

Unfortunately, a higher power scope does have advantages. I originally though 14 power would be enough but, it looks like I could benefit from more.

At our club, most of our shoots are based on caliber & barrel diameter. Never seen a low power scope do very well. If you have open sights, forget about it. I didn't set it up but, I have said my peace. Most of the people running it have never been to a rifle or pistol match at any level. Our match should be easy to win however, F-class is in my future. Only shot out to 600 yards once with the Wotac scope.

Paul

Wish we had a decent gun store to compare all the scopes at once! </div></div>

Paul

These are the type of questions I am going to try and figure out when i get my PST later this week. I will be able to do a side by side comparison to my sightron.

I think your missing the point. FFP really works best for tactical applications. Not F-class or BR target shooting. Try multiple targets at multiple ranges under time (25-1000 yards no time to dial) . Thats when FFP really shines. Wind hold and drop are the same on every power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sleeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your missing the point. FFP really works best for tactical applications. Not F-class or BR target shooting. Try multiple targets at multiple ranges under time (25-1000 yards no time to dial) . Thats when FFP really shines. Wind hold and drop are the same on every power. </div></div>

I have a new improved PST 6-24x50mm FFP MOA scope with a Vortex custom turret. I would like to add that the PST reticle will hold inside a 22 cal. bullet hole at 100 yds. The reticle stays the same thickness in relation to your target at all magnification. From the way I read the Sirghtron web site their newest reticle center dot is about 1" in diameter at 100 yards and 10 inches in diameter at 1,000 yds.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=5261028#post5261028

40gt

It's 1" at 100 yards at 4X magnification. At the max 24X it only covers 1/4" at 100 yards, which may or may not be small enough depending on application.

I would really like to hear how they compare. I have the PST coming but was really debating between the two. I have owned a Sightron S3 before and those scopes are very nice. I'm curious as to how the glass and the turrets compare.

I have the SIII Dot, and I can tell you that the dot works great from 100 to 1000....

BUT......

The "real deal" comparison is going to be the NEW SIII (LRMOA OR LRMD) with moa reticle and MOA turrets (and the turrets look great by the way) VS. the PST.

I think comparing the current shipping SIII against the PST is a little like apples and oranges....

Based on my current Sightron experience, I can't wait until the new SIII's are out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are the new sightron's expected availability? </div></div>

Dan from SWFA sent me an email today telling me late April

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hayboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear Basin is showing some 2011's </div></div>

WOW...they are!!

Does that mean there out??? Going to make a call in the morning!!

Why....so you can range at any power??? Which by the way, is a very small percentage of how you will use your reticle. You will also most likely be dialing for distance 99% of your time.....and....

I found in our small comps, that most shooters are always on the highest power anyway (target shooting)with scopes in the 6-24 power range or even the 8-32 power range.....I and all my buddies I shoot with have found that when shooting comps from 100 yards to 1000 yards we never change to a lower power. BUT 100 yards is the closest targets we shoot at AND we don't need to quickly move from close target to close target. So for an application like that...I see no reason for an FFP scope. Maybe one day I will find a scenario that changes my mind
grin.gif
</div></div>

I agree with your assessment SFP v FFP points as far as elevation for many shooters.

However, for wind its a different story. I almost always hold for wind. Unless you're at max magnification how much are you really holding off for the wind? Corrections for a miss are still going to be "off" unless at max magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hayboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear Basin is showing some 2011's </div></div>

WOW...they are!!

Does that mean there out??? Going to make a call in the morning!!</div></div>

Doubtful, I gave them a call earlier this morning about an older scope and asked about the 2011s while I was at it. They said they wouldn't be about for another month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the Sightrons are all second focal plane scopes? That might be enough to sway me toward a PST... </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

I agree with your assessment SFP v FFP points as far as elevation for many shooters.

However, for wind its a different story. I almost always hold for wind. Unless you're at max magnification how much are you really holding off for the wind? Corrections for a miss are still going to be "off" unless at max magnification. </div></div>

You are exactly right, but remember we are talking about target shooting and for 100 yards to 1000 yards my money is that most shooters are always on max power anyway...that is assuming you don't have to scan multiple distances in a short time. In that case maybe you would like to adjust to a lower magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hayboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear Basin is showing some 2011's </div></div>

WOW...they are!!

Does that mean there out??? Going to make a call in the morning!!</div></div>

Doubtful, I gave them a call earlier this morning about an older scope and asked about the 2011s while I was at it. They said they wouldn't be about for another month. </div></div>

Thanks for the info....that's what I thought, as Sightron told me a month ago that it would still be 60 to 90 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleyTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You are exactly right, but remember we are talking about target shooting and for 100 yards to 1000 yards my money is that most shooters are always on max power anyway...that is assuming you don't have to scan multiple distances in a short time. In that case maybe you would like to adjust to a lower magnification. </div></div>

That's not true or atleast not for those who that know what they're doing. Ever heard of mirage? You'll be SOL if your depending on people able to use a high magnification scope on max power all the time. FFP > SFP

You make a very valid point redneck. Because if you have to go from 24x down to 16 or 18 to help with mirage, then unless you've practiced at all the powers with an SFP scope, you're screwed (for holdover that is, if you dial your turret, it'd make no difference). I'm also interested to see what usmc has to say about his scope. I just bought a Razor, but am still interested in the PST for some of my other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am VERY interested in the results usmc80. </div></div>

Same here. As a current SIII owner I'm very happy with it so far, but if I bought another one I'd consider a PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott300RUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You make a very valid point redneck. Because if you have to go from 24x down to 16 or 18 to help with mirage, then unless you've practiced at all the powers with an SFP scope, you're screwed (for holdover that is, if you dial your turret, it'd make no difference). I'm also interested to see what usmc has to say about his scope. I just bought a Razor, but am still interested in the PST for some of my other rifles. </div></div>

I got my 6x 24 PST in today and mounted it. I got a quick look see but My son's baseball game prevented me from really getting into it.

For now i will only say one of my concerns about the PST has been answered and that is about the reticle. I thought it might be to thick for serious Long range shooting. It isn't the reticile is fine. Just for clarity I got the Mil/ Mil SFP PST with EBR-1 reticile. I will spend some time tomorrow and report on my findings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott300RUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You make a very valid point redneck. Because if you have to go from 24x down to 16 or 18 to help with mirage, then unless you've practiced at all the powers with an SFP scope, you're screwed (for holdover that is, if you dial your turret, it'd make no difference). I'm also interested to see what usmc has to say about his scope. I just bought a Razor, but am still interested in the PST for some of my other rifles. </div></div>

I guess it all depends on your type of shooting.....mirage may be a factor in some rare conditions where I would want to lower my power and wouldn't want to dial, but I have not seen that condition yet and we shoot through summer and winter.

I'm just saying that to me the price difference for an FFP scope has not been worth the benefit....not even close. However, I will admit that Vortex now makes it more tempting to try one with their pricing....
wink.gif

I just mounted my new Sightron S 111 8-32x56 LRMD on my 5R toay, I have to say that this is the clearest glass Ive ever looked thru, I love this scope, Big thanks to Scott at Liberty Optics

I had a pst on order but got a call from my local shop saying it was a 3 to 4 month wait for one. So i had him cancel it and order me a sightron SIII 6x24x50. Should be here middle of next week.

0kay I had a chance to do some side by side comparisons of the
Vortex 6x24 pst in SFP and the sightron 6x24 target dot and 5,5 x 22 nightforce NXS in NPR2.

Here are my thoughts. The vortex reticle is fine enough for long range shooting. The glass is pretty clear. Comparable to the Sightron of which neither quite as good as the night force. I would mount this to a 1000 yard gun. We did our comparasions at full power and 700 yards. in full day light
I did not look at closer or longer range objects nor different powers. I will do some low light testing later

Eye relief was about the same

Of the three scopes
I rated in order of glass clarity and detail

1. NF
2. Sightron
3. Vortex.
With sightron and vortex very very close

My buddy Greg who is buying a new scope rated

1. NF
2, Vortex
3. Sightron.

He felt Vortex was better than Sightron.

As for the other features.
Vortex has much better turrets, illumination and Zero stops that Sightron does not offer at this time.

The turrets are not nearly as nice as night force but acceptable. The illumination system of multiple settings with an off between each setting is a nice feature. The zero stop feature looks easy to use

The power ring feels better than sightron but not as nice as NF.

There is a lot more testing i still need to do to make a final judgement but so far I am pretty impressed that we get this much scope for the money.

My buddy is on the phone now trying to buy a vortex

I think the new sightrons are addressing some of their short coming witht he new offerings for 2011 but if they raise their price point for the new features I think they might run into trouble competing with the vortex unless they improve the glass too.

Thanks for the feedback....I know I appreciate this kind of stuff!

Usmc80, Thank you for the initial report. I'm glad to here that the Vortex recticle would be fine for long range shooting. This makes my decision even harder! Does the PST come with a sun shade & caps?

Paul

USMC80-

I wish I still had a NF scope around here to compare side by side.

I always thought the turrets were great on NF scopes, but having used both, there is no way I would say that the turrets are better on NF than on my PST. I am very impressed with my 4-16 PST about many things, and the turrets probably as much as any other aspect.

I have and have had many brands of quality optics and I cant think of any that make my PST turrets feel inferior.

What is about them that make you say they are nowhere near the NF turrets? I dont see how they could be more precise and easy to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC80-

I wish I still had a NF scope around here to compare side by side.

I always thought the turrets were great on NF scopes, but having used both, there is no way I would say that the turrets are better on NF than on my PST. I am very impressed with my 4-16 PST about many things, and the turrets probably as much as any other aspect.

I have and have had many brands of quality optics and I cant think of any that make my PST turrets feel inferior.

What is about them that make you say they are nowhere near the NF turrets? I dont see how they could be more precise and easy to use. </div></div>
The nf turrets are 1/4" larger in diameter and are firmer to move. In general they have a higher quality feel. I really wasn't knocking the PST I think the turrets are precise, But I wouldn't say its same standard as a NF nor would i expect them too.

I didnt think you were knocking them, just found it curious.

The first thing I noticed about the PST was the turrets. I remember consciously noticing when I first turned them that they seemed to be just about perfect. I feel the same way about Schmidt PMII's.

I think once these get into everyones hands they are going to quickly become accepted as "best value".

I am sure there will be a few hiccups, just like with scopes costing 3x as much, but (initially, at least) the PST is the best value scope I have ever purchased. If they can get in the hands of the GP and hold up, I think every objective glass buyer will agree.

I'm with the guys that are having a hard time comparing a FFP to a SFP scope.

They really don't fit the same application in my mind.

If you are only target shooting you should have plenty of time to use a SFP scope I recon.

For anything tactical FFP. There is no substitute!

FYI, there's a guy in the commercial for sale section that says he has PSTs in stock. He also listed a few FFP models. I just ordered mine. The thread is just over an hour old.

I have to agree with usmc on this one. I think I'd say that the Nightforce turrets feel about $1K better than those of the PST. Just kidding. The NF turrets just have a meatier feel to me. Like they are more substantial. The clicks on the PST (the ones that I've tried) are positive, but the NF turrets have more of a feeling of confidence about them. Like you're less likely to screw up when in a hurry. I don't think that I can articulate it any better than that.

I know that the glass in them is pretty good. Certainly, at least, on par with other scopes in the price range like Sightron and Trijicon (actually better than this in my opinion). I think that the PST is kind of going to hold a position similar to that of Nightforce. Not the best of anything in its price range, but a damned fine package as a whole.