• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST or SWFA SS for FFP Scope

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I am considering either a Vortex PST 4-16x50 or SWFA SS 3-15x42 for a FFP scope. I like the reticle on the PST better as well as the 50mm objective and illuminated reticle. The SWFA is $200 cheaper and also like the range better (gets down to a 3X).

I'm thinking that I will be OK w/ either but would appreciate getting some opinions!

I am considering either a Vortex PST 4-16x50 or SWFA SS 3-15x42 for a FFP scope. I like the reticle on the PST better as well as the 50mm objective and illuminated reticle. The SWFA is $200 cheaper and also like the range better (gets down to a 3X).

I'm thinking that I will be OK w/ either but would appreciate getting some opinions!

Flip a coin buddy.
Both are great at their prices.

own a 3-15 swfa.

its great. I never use illuminated reticles so i went with the SWFA. Plus they're local to me. was surprised how tactile and audible the adjustments were.

I would much rather have the PST, you can find them used in good shape for about what the SWFA scope retails for.

I have an SWFA and four Vortex. I like both. Either would be a good choice. What are the intended uses? Varmint or large game Hunting? Target? Tactical?

For hunting, I like a low power bottom end. Better for fast moving close range targets. Both still have a very usable top end range.

I have both and intend to keep both.

I like the reticle better on the PST, and the zero stop is handy. My pet peeve is it won't focus below 75 yards. At 25, it's unusable. Some more travel would be good too. The glass is ok, but is bad enough I'm not really curious about it's higher powered brother.

The glass is better on the SWFA, as is the travel, but no zero stop so it's easy to get lost in the travel. My pet peeve about the SWFA is the stupid reticle.

They're both great scopes for the money, but we don't get perfect in that price range.

I've had both and I sold my Vortex. I intend to try another Vortex soon, but for now the SWFA SS suits me just fine.

SWFA. Their warranty is awesomer and you won't have to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, can you explain how their warranty is "awesomer"? You really cannot beat the Vortex warranty short of them paying you for any repairs.

I personally really enjoy high quality glass... the Viper is nowhere in the same league as the SWFA... I'd pick the SWFA any day of the week.

Both companies have an outstanding warranty and great customer service in my limited experience. SWFA just seems to have better quality control.

My SWFA just showed up. It is built so well I could beat someone to death with it!! It is 3lbs! Glad I picked it over the Vortex.

SWFA by far IMO. That said, I also hate their reticle and that's the biggest downside to me.

I have both and intend to keep both.

The glass is better on the SWFA, as is the travel, but no zero stop so it's easy to get lost in the travel.

I for the life of me can't figure out why people lose their zeros with no stop. If you come up lets use my dope for example 45 clicks for a 500 yard shot you remember that your 45 clicks up. If your going down to three hundred and need 16 clicks up you just go down 29 clicks. Now your 16 clicks up, you come down to your marked 0 on your turret and your at zero. Your horizontal stadia lines are there to count revolutions if you need them, use em. I have both an SWFA and a PST, I'll like both scopes but I've shot to 1000 with the SWFA and back down to 100 and it dials wonderfully. My next scope will be a SWFA.

Haven't used a swfa ss, but looked through a viper pst and weaver tactical, ....... Bought the weaver

Easy.. SWFA... Step up to a 5X20X50 HD. Its even better. I use mine to hunt with all the time 5 power is plenty low. I run mine from 5 to 10 power most of the time.
I have no problem with reticle, works fine and is not to busy.
Warranty? Just read through the threads here and decide for yourself.