• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Owners - How are they holding up?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
This question is directed primarily at folks who have either given the scope a good workout on multiple occasions or had a scope take some abuse. Vortex's warranty is impeccable so I'm not questioning that but have you used and/or abused the glass, and how are they holding up?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Vortex PST Owners - How are they holding up?

I got one of the first ones, serial number 000004. It has seen alot of use, but no abuse in the year and a half or so that I've had it. Still works flawlessly, and still one of my favorite scopes.

I shot a dozen or so matches this summer with a 1-4 PST on an AR with no problems. Also I have a 6-24 on a .243 that while not shot much got nocked over once or twice with no problems regarding zero shift or scope operation.

My hunting rifle was down this year so I hiked a few miles a few days in a row dragging my .308 with it through some rough terrain. It got knocked around and dirty and took one fall. It was pretty tough, nothing wrong with it other than some minor scratches on the bell housing.

We have 2 and shot long range matches all summer with them on our short guns and they've held up very well. Always tracked right and dead on with settings. We do get an occasional fleck of paint come loose and float around but it usually disappears within a couple shots. I'd get another without hesitation.

Topstrap

We have 2 and shot long range matches all summer with them on our short guns and they've held up very well. Always tracked right and dead on with settings. We do get an occasional fleck of paint come loose and float around but it usually disappears within a couple shots. I'd get another without hesitation.

When we first got them one of the 4-16 models had the reticle rotate. Might of been due to the short guns with sharper recoil we shoot but Vortex repaired promptly and said they added some extra adhesive to help hold in place. That solved that problem and it was done very promptly.

Topstrap

My PST 1-4 has seen considerable use (but no abuse) since January 2011. It's been on three different ARs, seen some 3-gun use and has been used multiple times on the range and running drills. Probably between 2 to 3k rounds, FWIW.

No issues what-so-ever, so for me it's held up as expected thus far; but that's not to say I consider it a "hard use" optic such as my NF.

My 4-16 has seen over 130rds from a 7mm (no brake) within the past few months. It has been put through its paces and used during hunting season. Not abused, but definitely not babied. It was also partly responsible for my wifes first deer. We mil'd, dialed, fired and she dropped it at 317yds. First time she'd ever fired a HP rifle. Thus far there has been no issue aside from the illumination, but that was noticed when I recieved the scope. Not sure if it's solely the battery or the contact points, but it doesn't always illuminate. Simple fix is removing the cover and rotating the battery. I'm sure the contact points could be adjusted, just need confirmation from them that it wouldn't void their impeccable warranty. If not
I may send it for repairs if a new battery doesn't fix the problem, but right now I don't want to be without it for a week or two as I really enjoy it. Planning on 1 if not 2 more. Great scope for the money.

Had mine for over 8 months now, scope still tracks just fine, adjustments still crisp, gun is a auto and is also used for hunting. Has been dropped a few times and scope still passes box tests just fine.

Several drops on concrete, dirt, steel about 500 hundred rounds and 9 months later no problems.

I picked mine up this past spring (6-24 power).
Performs and tracks flawlessly after several rides (alone) in the back of my truck over very rugged terrain being slammed off of everything but itself. It was in a drag bag, and I'm sure the bag did a lot to soften the shock, but slamming is slamming.
I couldn't be happier.

I have two Vortex PST's - 1 x 4 and a 4-16. They track flawless and the 1 x 4 has taken so beating on a hunting rig (6.8mm AR). I like the scope and find it worth the money.

I have a question. Is there plenty of ocular adjustment on the quick focus ring for people with long vision. I want to buy one of these but have great difficulty finding a scope I want with enough ocular adjustment for my eyes. Does anyone here that owns a PST have very long sightedness?

I have a 1-4 that has been through 3 3gun matches. A 4-16 that went through a RO PR1-2 class and now sits on my 260. Both have performed well and seem to track straight.

I have a 4-16 FFP model that has seen a little over 2000 rounds of .223 and a whole lot of cranking on the elevation knob. No issues, although .223 (obviously) is pretty light duty and the rifle doesn't see hard use.

I have the 6-24 FFP and have run about 1000+ .308 rounds with it. I took a rifle class with it, I didn't touch the rifle in about two months prior to the class. When, I was confirming the zero on the rifle, during the start of the class, it was still spot on. Very happy with it's performance.

Any issues going out to 1k with the pst and a 20moa base?

how is the illumination holding up on thees? has any experienced an electronic failure yet? also, how do thees do in low light/ no light?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got one of the first ones, serial number 000004. It has seen alot of use, <span style="color: #FF0000">but no abuse </span>in the year and a half or so that I've had it. Still works flawlessly, and still one of my favorite scopes.</div></div>

This is the one you threw off the back of my pickup right?
whistle.gif

Just can't let you forget that one.
grin.gif

I manage a sporting goods store and I'm guessing we have sent 20 PSTs out the door. Up until last week I have sent 2 back for warranty, 1 for tracking problems and 1 for not holding zero. I have a 6-24 ffp on my trg 300 win and I have took it out to 800 yards. The first time out no problems tracking out to 800 back to 200. Yesterday I took it out and shot 200, 300, and 400 no problems at all. I went out to 500 and shot about 2 and half moa low. Cranked back to 200 yard zero and shot about a foot over my target. I have noticed bore sighting these scopes on a zero moa base that your going to run out of elevation. I had 17 moa left after a 200 yard zero and I had another customer tell me he had 15 moa before running out. This will be going back to vortex. I do have to say with out question they have the best customer service in the industry. I'll let you guys know if I get anymore feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any issues going out to 1k with the pst and a 20moa base?</div></div>
65moa to start, no problem..

I have a couple and so far no problems, I will be ordering a couple more.

I sent my 6x24-50 back for debris on the inside of glass and the battery would run down on the illumination in the off position.

A week later they sent my a NEW one back!

Great customer service

BnC