• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST zero stop question

Casey S.

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
Ft. Collins, Co.
I've notice a strange thing on my 6-24. I set up my elivation zero stop and just like the manual says, I can turn past zero 5-7 clicks. Every time I rezero that number decreases though, yesterday I brought I back from +12.3 mil and almost had to force it to zero. I don't understand why this would be happening, my zero holds so I don't thing the turret is spinning free and my data holds up as well (two hits at 1050 yrds with the +12.3 dope in full value wind!). What the hell is going on?

I've notice a strange thing on my 6-24. I set up my elivation zero stop and just like the manual says, I can turn past zero 5-7 clicks. Every time I rezero that number decreases though, yesterday I brought I back from +12.3 mil and almost had to force it to zero. I don't understand why this would be happening, my zero holds so I don't thing the turret is spinning free and my data holds up as well (two hits at 1050 yrds with the +12.3 dope in full value wind!). What the hell is going on?

Double check to make sure you have the shims inserted 180 degree's from each other. Also, ensure that you don't have one or, more of the ends of the shim(s) going under & the other end over the previous shim...they should be stacked right on top of each other completely flat.

I was going to pull them all to start over, so I'll be sure to get them back in straight. There's gotta be something weird going on with the shims. But in the end, as long as I can get back to true zero and I keep making hits it's no big deal a suppose.

The Vortex pst doesn't really have a true hard stop zero. It's designed to get you close but not exactly back to zero every time.. For the price it's a good compromise and least you will know you're on the correct revolution.

Last edited:
Made some harder shims out of AL, Nylon, and Delrin. Ended up with the delrin shaped like the nylon in the pic. Seems to be a firmer stop.

Attachments

• 100_0942.jpg
    100_0942.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 17
The Vortex pst doesn't really have a true hard stop zero. It's designed to get you close but not exactly back to zero every time.. For the price it's a good compromise and least you will know you're on the correct revolution.

Being my first FFP scope I absolutely love it. It's on my .308 5R, so I kinda wish I would gone the 4-16 route but I found this one cheap here on the hide. In this rifles budget I elected this over a Steiner, or I even got quoted a USO, to save myself funds to finally set myself up to reload....... Couldn't even find .308 dies until recently though.

All in all, it holds my data great, glass is clear as can be, and it returns to a solid zero from what I've experienced. I like it a lot!