• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 1x6 lack of FFP an issue?

utahcybercowboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Utah, Sandy
I am getting ready to purchase this scope. I am inclined to believe that I will run this at 1x or 6x and not much in the middle ranges. Just don't want to purchase this and end up wishing I had FFP. Thoughts?

If you're shooting at any distance you'll probably be on 6x I'd imagine which is most likely the magnification the reticle is meant to be on. Ffp scopes below 4-5x are very hard to see and read anyway to accurately use them so I would say it's not that big of a deal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I am getting ready to purchase this scope. I am inclined to believe that I will run this at 1x or 6x and not much in the middle ranges. Just don't want to purchase this and end up wishing I had FFP. Thoughts?

Depends what youre using it for. If 3 gun, a 1-6x FFP is the only way I would go. Sure, at 1x the reticle is small....like a dot...but thst a good thing. Its a easy point blank dot reticle to put on your target. Its almost like having a red dot as your primary at that point. Then switching over to 6x will allow for walking those shots out.

low power FFP scopes have that nice feature if used for that purpose. Small reticle at 1x does help with that style of shooting.

Trevor B.

If you're shooting at any distance you'll probably be on 6x I'd imagine which is most likely the magnification the reticle is meant to be on. Ffp scopes below 4-5x are very hard to see and read anyway to accurately use them so I would say it's not that big of a deal.

this is spot on, on low magnification, ffp can be unusable, plus if your shooting any kind of distance your going to be a full magnification. people get too hung up on ffp.

this is spot on, on low magnification, ffp can be unusable, plus if your shooting any kind of distance your going to be a full magnification. people get too hung up on ffp.

Same view here. SFP makes good sense for a 1-4x or 1-6x. I can't see any situation where you would want to use holdovers or estimate range using the reticle, and would have too much mirage or too little light to use the scope at 6x. The SFP reticle means that it's easily useful and pretty much ideal sized for aiming at both 1x and 6x.

Now with a 5-20x, I would rather have FFP.

I am all about FFP where the purpose needs it but for a 3 gun optic the Vortex Razor II 1-6x in SFP works great. No need for FFP. The center of the reticle is a 50/200 yard zero. If I am shooting targets past 200 yards then the scope is on 6x anyways. Anything inside of that is a small hold over with no need for the reticle. Inside 50 yards on 1x that SFP reticle and dot size are perfect. Not too large but also not too small. I have shot plate racks at 50 yards on 2x before with no problem. Shot a dueling tree at about 60 yards on 3x with no problems.

Buy the scope. You will be very happy with it.

I prefer FFP for any magnification (if the reticle design is good). A 1-6x that has a reticle that turns into a Dot at 1x or thick outer posts is ideal. No chance of inadvertently trying to use the reticle on the wrong setting.

Depends what youre using it for. If 3 gun, a 1-6x FFP is the only way I would go. Sure, at 1x the reticle is small....like a dot...but thst a good thing. Its a easy point blank dot reticle to put on your target. Its almost like having a red dot as your primary at that point. Then switching over to 6x will allow for walking those shots out.

low power FFP scopes have that nice feature if used for that purpose. Small reticle at 1x does help with that style of shooting.

Trevor B.

Well that is kind of odd Trevor. Last time I checked Jesse T. and Kalani L. , who are both sponsored by Optics planet and are very highly ranked 3gun shooters are running 2nd focal scopes. I have to assume this is because of the daylight bright dot that the Swaro 1-6 and the Razor 1-6 offer along with the exceptionally wide field of view that both scopes have that so far can not be matched by a FFP scope. The Leupold 1-6 has a daylight bright dot,BUT you have to be perfectly centered behind it for it not to washout and all but disappear. The FOV on the Leupold is also lacking comparatively speaking.

In my opinion, for these reasons the Razor 1-6 and the Swaro 1-6 are the two best options for three gun. They are probably the two most widely used three gun scopes among national competitors.

Is the center red dot on the gen2 MRAD version daylight visible?

Also on the JM-1 BDC reticle, what bullet/ muzzle velocity is it set for?

Is the center red dot on the gen2 MRAD version daylight visible?

Also on the JM-1 BDC reticle, what bullet/ muzzle velocity is it set for?

That was answered by the few previous posts. reread rob and cs95's posts.
As far as the jm reticle it is for 55-77gr 223 from 2700-3000fps as well as "popular 308/762" loads. Kind of generic but that's what they state

Last edited:
While I see and agree with the 1 or 6 mentality for 3 gun, I just prefer FFP at 1x because it makes the reticle a dot and then at 6x you have your useable reticle for holds. For me its just personal preference.

I also like FFP on low power variable optics IF the reticle was designed correctly...

No ones uses the hold over points at 1x, its small, but if the reticle becomes a small dot and not cluttered with crosshairs it really helps draw the eye into the center. And at 6x, still has traditional crosshairs for those longer shots.

But I agree, its preference and application.

Well that is kind of odd Trevor. Last time I checked Jesse T. and Kalani L. , who are both sponsored by Optics planet and are very highly ranked 3gun shooters are running 2nd focal scopes. I have to assume this is because of the daylight bright dot that the Swaro 1-6 and the Razor 1-6 offer along with the exceptionally wide field of view that both scopes have that so far can not be matched by a FFP scope. The Leupold 1-6 has a daylight bright dot,BUT you have to be perfectly centered behind it for it not to washout and all but disappear. The FOV on the Leupold is also lacking comparatively speaking.

In my opinion, for these reasons the Razor 1-6 and the Swaro 1-6 are the two best options for three gun. They are probably the two most widely used three gun scopes among national competitors.

Those are two shooters and their choices. Check out what Daniel Horner is going to... he likes FFP now. Ive hung out with him and heard directly from his mouth that he prefers 1-6x FFP scopes. Also swear by JP uppers. Not everone uses JP uppers, but he wins a lot with them

It all boils down to what youre comfortable with, but my choice is ffp 1-6x for those reasons, along with Daniel. I know Jessi doesnt run one, but thats just his preference. I like having the ability to use the scope at 1x for fast TA like a red dot sight and then dial it up. Head placment never changes. But, to each their own.

Trevor B.

Last edited:
Trevor is right as it is personal preference but seeing big names in the 3 gun sport using both just proves there is no wrong or right answer. Just which works best for the shooter.

To help some I finally got to take some through the scope pics of the Vortex 1-6x. Again I will give my PSA that I am not good at through the scope pics and these are more to show the reticle for both hold over marks and the center red dot as I can't really get a good picture of the whole FOV especially at 1x as it's large.

Pics of the neighbor's house again at about 75 yards. Need to laser their house so i know for sure but around 75 yards is a good guess.

1x

1x at a telephone poll at about 10 yards. Curtain is blocking right of picture.

6x

No ones uses the hold over points at 1x, its small,

Too small for the rest of you perhaps. It is not, however, too small for me. I guess I'll have to change my name. Then again, no ones is perfect. :cool:

On a more contributory note, there are advantages to both SFP and FFP reticles in a 1-4,6,8x scope. If you're not sure how you would take advantage of FFP at 1 power, you're better off with SFP. For some reason this subject really gets under my skin.

What scope is Daniel using? I am not aware of a 1x6 that is ffp

Those are two shooters and their choices. Check out what Daniel Horner is going to... he likes FFP now. Ive hung out with him and heard directly from his mouth that he prefers 1-6x FFP scopes. Also swear by JP uppers. Not everone uses JP uppers, but he wins a lot with them

It all boils down to what youre comfortable with, but my choice is ffp 1-6x for those reasons, along with Daniel. I know Jessi doesnt run one, but thats just his preference. I like having the ability to use the scope at 1x for fast TA like a red dot sight and then dial it up. Head placment never changes. But, to each their own.

Trevor B.

Too small for the rest of you perhaps. It is not, however, too small for me. I guess I'll have to change my name. Then again, no ones is perfect. :cool:

On a more contributory note, there are advantages to both SFP and FFP reticles in a 1-4,6,8x scope. If you're not sure how you would take advantage of FFP at 1 power, you're better off with SFP. For some reason this subject really gets under my skin.

My post was in defense of the FFP in low power scopes... And my experience is limited to the SWFA 1-6x... At 1x, the subtensions really are too small for me to see, BUT, it presents me with a completely different reticle which is more appropriate for shooting at 1x.

I didn't mean to make a gross generalization.... but regards to the SWFA scope...

Donut_1x_and_6x_zps85ce24c2.jpg
2ngx8hx.jpg
PICT0373.JPG

Last edited:
The Leupold Mark 6 1-6x is wat we had talked quite a bit about and he started using and practicing with. We spoke about this at SHOT this past year. Bushnell also has a 1-6.5X in FFP in their elite tactical line.

Trevor B.

To each his own..
Whatever works
As much of a FFP fan I am formlong range use I agree with the others that a SFP 1 to 4,5, 6 is fine for 3 gun. I am runningna Steiner 1-5, 1 MOA center dot that can be set bright as my T1, great glass and holdovers built into the reticle for distance shots, add in a good eleveation dial with a zero stop and I am good to go.

Best advice is to get behind as many scopes as you can and see what works for you.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk