• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor 2 or Minox ZP5

When we are talking better glass, exactly how much better are we talking here? Because if the glass is only marginally better, I don't know how the ZP5 is better than the Razor in any other areas

Other than the Minox being 3/4 pound lighter, you mean?

Here's where it gets very difficult in that there is no single correct answer that fits for everyone. Your questions above are spot on valid. You have prioritized and put in order what is important to you. Someone else may or may not have the same priorities. Hypothetically, who is right and who is wrong ? Answer is; neither and at the same time, both. It sounds like you would be really happy with the Razor and $800 extra dollars in your pocket. $800.00 buys a lot of ammo, there's no doubt about that. Also, from my perspective, there is nothing deficient about the Razor, it's a great scope. If you were able to take money out of the equation, the Minox would be my recommendation. You may not even see the difference in the IQ between the two. Or, you might find other things more to your liking on the Razor. Or, best case would be that you get to look at/through a Minox next to a Razor and determine that yes, there is a difference, but it's not big enough for you to spend another $800.00 on. Actually, I've gone through that process between the Minox ZP5 and the Tangent Theta. I've accepted the possibility that the Minox may "not be as good" as the Tangent Theta, but for another $1,000.00 to $1,200.00, I'm going to stick with the Minox.

To quote a guy I know who owns a TT and tried out my Minox, when I told him I was thinking about the TT, he said "save your money".
I could have been happy for a long time to come with the Gen II Razor I had, it's an excellent scope. Self admitted glass whore here, I bought a Minox ZP5 on a whim and decided to "standardize on a platform".

To quote a guy I know who owns a TT and tried out my Minox, when I told him I was thinking about the TT, he said "save your money".
I could have been happy for a long time to come with the Gen II Razor I had, it's an excellent scope. Self admitted glass whore here, I bought a Minox ZP5 on a whim and decided to "standardize on a platform".

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback, that is really helpful! I too could have been happy with the Razor for a long time. It's a hell of a deal. But, I looked through the ZP5 and it was all over. Funny, my conundrum about the TT vs the ZP5 is the same conundrum that the OP had in regard to the Razor vs the ZP5. Like you, I'm a glass whore too. I've also standardized on the ZP5.

The Minox scopes really have to be used in person to be believed. I've got a Schmidt and just sold my BEAST, and have a Gen2 Vortex on my other rifle. I haven't used the Vortex since I got the Minox - it's THAT good.

Would you say the Minox ZP-5 is better optically than the S&B?

Other than the Minox being 3/4 pound lighter, you mean?

Is 3/4 of a pound worth 800 bucks to you? It's not to me... I'm talking glass, the weight isn't really that noticeable to me anyway...

Would you say the Minox ZP-5 is better optically than the S&B?

I can honestly say that side-by-side, the Minox is at least as sharp as the Schmidt, but it is a bit brighter. The colors are more pleasing to me and the scope is more pleasant to look through. There's no doubt at all that I prefer the scope due to the reticle MR4 vs. the Gen 2 XR) and the turrets. I've owned every scope you can think of other than the Tangent Theta, and this scope is spectacular. Don't get me wrong, the Schmidt, Nightforce and Vortex are great optics and each have their own strong points, but finding a "favorite" optic usually means that it has most of the things you prefer in an optic all in one package.

For me, it's the Minox. Hands-down.

Mike at CS Tactical just shipped my Minox. I do have a Razor Gen2 and other scopes to compare it to.

Im excited to find out what all the hoopla is about.

i know one thing that is certain is that Minox and Vortex probably make my favorite reticles.

I was an inch from purchasing a TT, but I just can't do it with the current reticle options. Can't stand them. Anyhow I bet there isn't much difference between the Minox, Premier or TT.

Mike at CS Tactical just shipped my Minox. I do have a Razor Gen2 and other scopes to compare it to.

Im excited to find out what all the hoopla is about.

i know one thing that is certain is that Minox and Vortex probably make my favorite reticles.

I was an inch from purchasing a TT, but I just can't do it with the current reticle options. Can't stand them. Anyhow I bet there isn't much difference between the Minox, Premier or TT.

Dave,

Please give us feedback on the Minox when you get a chance :cool:

Have a great weekend!

I'm not qualified to judge optics by any means but while at shot show I made it a point to look through every high end optic I could get my hands on and Minox stood out to me over the rest.