• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex razor gen II help

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I shot over thanksgiving three separate days, days one and two were good, my wife shot my mausingfield for the first time, first time shooting a bolt action in general or using a scope and hit a milk jug at 500 yds on the second shot.

The third day I tried to repeat the success but could not hit anything at about 550yds

Heavy mirage and a poor backdrop meant no one could see where i was hitting and after 10 shots I gave up,

I shot at 100yds today and turns out I was hitting 4 mils high and two right , that explains my inability to hit anything

As I went to dial in the scope I discovered the set screws that you use to set the turrets to zero were loose, all six of them. I suspect that over 300 or so shots they worked their way loose and contributed to my issues, is this a reasonable explanation? I figure I dialed up correctly a few times and as I dialed it down back to zero the adjustment up stayed and it didnÂ’t return to zero because the set screws were loose

Everything else is right and good to go, i am shooting a 3 gun match tomorrow that has a long range stage where I will test things out as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot over thanksgiving three separate days, days one and two were good, my wife shot my mausingfield for the first time, first time shooting a bolt action in general or using a scope and hit a milk jug at 500 yds on the second shot.

The third day I tried to repeat the success but could not hit anything at about 550yds

Heavy mirage and a poor backdrop meant no one could see where i was hitting and after 10 shots I gave up,

I shot at 100yds today and turns out I was hitting 4 mils high and two right , that explains my inability to hit anything

As I went to dial in the scope I discovered the set screws that you use to set the turrets to zero were loose, all six of them. I suspect that over 300 or so shots they worked their way loose and contributed to my issues, is this a reasonable explanation? I figure I dialed up correctly a few times and as I dialed it down back to zero the adjustment up stayed and it didnÂ’t return to zero because the set screws were loose

Everything else is right and good to go, i am shooting a 3 gun match tomorrow that has a long range stage where I will test things out as well

You too huh ? I had the same problem (brand new, out of the box). Stumped me initially at the range. I sat there at my bench and watched a YouTube video on my phone about sighting it in and that’s when I found the (same) problem. Not to worry though, Vortex is otherwise excellent.

Last edited:
Mine seem to loosen over time as well. I’m to afraid to tighten them down to much since I know they are only suppose to be a few inch pounds

It may help if, when tightening the turret set screws, to tighten lightly all three set screws on the first pass, then continue around increasing tightness a second time. Then on the third go-around apply final tightening.

This will more evenly distribute the tension from the set screws to the erector assembly. I check before a match - just remember to do it before making any turret adjustments. I've not seen a published torque spec, but tighten as much as I can with only my thumb and index finger.

Thanks for the comments, it will now be part of my routine to check those, I keep the little tool that came with the scope in my drag bag

Tighten them more. I snug mine down real good and they have never loosened up.

Same as others have said. I run each screw in until I feel it make ever so slightly contact. Do that for all 3. Then pass back through tightening them down with the short side of allen key between my fingers to a nice snug feel.

I had the exact issue, and found that doing as others said works best.. snug them all down, then go back and really torque them down... I now periodically check them when I take the rifle out

yup, common problem from guys coming from other types of scopes...u can crank on the set screws in a gen 2 and its not going to hurt it, unlike other turrets that will crush/dent the center stem...i did it for 2 yrs switching between 5 different barrels on my AT...make them TIGHT

cant say i've ever had them loosen up on me or even lose Zero , always finger tight with the allen/turret tool supplied .

Small Dan of purple loctite is your friend. Tightening them has become part of my pre range inspection. Those and my action screws.

The turret screws loosen pretty fast in my experience but I haven’t tightened them down to an extreme amount yet. I feel like I’m getting them right enough though.

Small Dan of purple loctite is your friend. Tightening them has become part of my pre range inspection. Those and my action screws.

The turret screws loosen pretty fast in my experience but I haven’t tightened them down to an extreme amount yet. I feel like I’m getting them right enough though.

If they are loosening then you aren't getting them right. Tighten them more.

Also some advice, if you check torque on your action screws regularly then you want to loosen them slightly before torquing. Continually torquing can stress the bolts. A story my team mate always tells to our students is about an Army sniper team at a match he was shooting when in the Corps would always come out and take their torque wrench and crank down on their screws every morning. On the third day they did it and snap. Bolt snapped off.

I’ve had the same issue. What has worked for me is to gently snug them up on the first go around, snug them up a little more on the second and finally torque them to 12 inlbs. On occasion, I’ll check them with torque wrench for peace of mind.

BTW, the 12inlbs was a recommendation from Vortex.

I tightened mine until they all stop,then i give them all a good hard turn and they have been fine for over a year now.

I run a slightly extended screw available from mc master carr, when they are tight they are pretty flush with the outside of the turrets so if its loose at all it will protrude and be easily seen. they've never come loose yet

Hello all,

Its already been mentioned, but just to give everyone peace of mind. We recommend 10-12" lb on the set screws. Also,like has been mentioned, you will want to touch off all three, then snug all three, and then torque all three. If you follow this SOP I can assure you that they will never come loose accidentally. I certainly understand the concern of over tightening, but please rest assure that these torque settings will not cause any problems with your set screws/turret.

Please contact me if anyone has any questions at all. Thank you for your time.

Best Regards
Scott

I run a slightly extended screw available from mc master carr, when they are tight they are pretty flush with the outside of the turrets so if its loose at all it will protrude and be easily seen. they've never come loose yet
Do you happen to have the exact spec or part number for the set screws you are using?