• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 + 30mm WA MRAD eyepiece Opinions?

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
Hello,

I'm looking for a quality spotting scope to be used for long range (400-1200 yd) spotting of steel targets. I would like a spotting scope with an MRAD reticle. Right now it looks like the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 + 30X WA MRAD eyepiece meets my basic criteria. This set would cost around $1850. I am looking for opinions on this spotting scope and the MRAD eyepiece.

What other spotting scopes should I be looking at in the sub $2000 range (with MRAD reticle (or Horus))?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Great spotter. I find that on most Vortex stuff the upper end of the mag (50+ in this case) is normally useless. The image gets dark and blurry in all but the absolute best light conditions. With the MRAD eye piece this will not be an issue. I very rarely am able to use above 50 on my spotter and 18 on my scope, both are RAZORS. Other than that you will be in love.

I have the same set up and love it. You should have no issues making corrections with the reticle at those distances.

I have this very setup. I also was looking for a spotter with a MRAD reticle this year when I began shooting in some local long range low key matches. After searching the topic to death I settled on the Vortex. I also use the scope for shooting BPCR silhoutte matches. Easy to read mirage and see hits. The long range matches I shoot are low key like I said, but here's the thing. I hear guys spotting for their partners saying things like " ok, come one plate up and two plate widths right". I mean God bless em! They are out there shooting and going at it with what they have and can afford. It is sooooo much easier to tell your buddy " come up one mil and left 2 mils". In my opinion, it is a great scope at a great price point. On a side note....take a look at and don't discount the Leuopold. I'm sure there are tons of fans here of both, and both are GREAT scopes.

The Vortex Razor Spotter with 30x MRAD eye piece is a great piece of gear, I use mine to spot shots at matches, check out the moon, watch my neighbors get it on at night, she has nice ta ta's, seeing trace is almost effortless, I perfer the fixed 30x to the 20-60 eye piece, add a good tripod and enjoy it for years to come.

Last edited:
The Vortex Razor Spotter with 30x MRAD eye piece is a great piece of gear, I use mine to spot shots at matches, check out the moon, watch my neighbors get it on at night, she has nice ta ta's, seeing trace is almost effortless, I perfer the fixed 30x to the 20-60 eye piece, add a good bipod and enjoy it for years to come.

This ^

I hardly ever use the 20-60 eye piece since getting my 30x mrad, it does all I need. Odds are if you can't see what your looking for using the fixed 30x, the 20-60 isn't going to help you much.

how is the eye relief(wearing eye pro) with the fixed 30? is it about the same as setting it to 30x on the 20-60?

Hello,

I'm looking for a quality spotting scope to be used for long range (400-1200 yd) spotting of steel targets. I would like a spotting scope with an MRAD reticle. Right now it looks like the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 + 30X WA MRAD eyepiece meets my basic criteria. This set would cost around $1850. I am looking for opinions on this spotting scope and the MRAD eyepiece.

What other spotting scopes should I be looking at in the sub $2000 range (with MRAD reticle (or Horus))?

Thanks.

Zeiss Diascope 65 with Zeiss 30x wide angle mildot+rapid ranging stadia = 1740USD.

I thought Zeiss stopped making that eyepiece.

As far as I know, pile of Zeiss mildot eyepieces I got haven't been on public sale ever.
They are contract overrun from certain army deal, nobody else has them. PM if interested.

As far as I know, pile of Zeiss mildot eyepieces I got haven't been on public sale ever.
They are contract overrun from certain army deal, nobody else has them. PM if interested.
Had I not just picked up the Vortex Razor last month, I would be. Thanks bro, hopefully some others will be helped on this one!

Had I not just picked up the Vortex Razor last month, I would be. Thanks bro, hopefully some others will be helped on this one!

These have floating mildot on center of FOV, covering perhaps 1/3 or 1/2 of image.
Lower part has rapid ranging stadia for 50cm (shoulder width) and 100cm tall (crouch-top of head) targets, from 400 to 1200 meters with 200m increments.
As I haven't seen eyepiece you mentioned- does it sound same?

Eyepiece will work with bigger Diascope 85 as well, producing 40x wide angle magnification. Dimensions will just need to be corrected with factor 0.75.
Dot to dot 1mil = 0.75mils, 2mils = 1.5mil etc.

Last edited:
The reticle for the Vortex does have a rapid ranging capability. The Zeiss one is interesting to me since it would work with the smaller (and lighter) x65mm scope... Alas, I have my eye on a new AXMC.

Here's the Vortex mil reticle:
sub_rzr_spt_mrad.jpg

And in MOA:
sub_rzr_spt_moa.jpg

The vortex is a great spotter that is the one I would go with if I were you

Great spotter. I find that on most Vortex stuff the upper end of the mag (50+ in this case) is normally useless. The image gets dark and blurry in all but the absolute best light conditions. With the MRAD eye piece this will not be an issue. I very rarely am able to use above 50 on my spotter and 18 on my scope, both are RAZORS. Other than that you will be in love.

I'd recommend sending your Razor spotter in for a checkup. I have a 20-60x85 Razor spotter and it hangs with a Zeiss Diascope 20-75x85, 99% of the resolution and 95% of the brightness for half the price.

delixe

I'd recommend sending your Razor spotter in for a checkup. I have a 20-60x85 Razor spotter and it hangs with a Zeiss Diascope 20-75x85, 99% of the resolution and 95% of the brightness for half the price.

delixe

I think you are reading to much into what I said. It doesn't go black and it doesn't turn to bathroom window glass. It might be closer to x55 but at full mag of x60 if I back the mag down just a little the image gets noticeably brighter and clearer. My RAZOR rifle scope does the same thing x18 is brighter and clearer than x20. This doesn't happen (or isn't noticeable) on a full sunshine day in the summer. I believe if you do a little research you will find that this is caused by the exit pupil of the scope at that magnification being smaller than the person's actual pupil. Basicly not enough light getting to the eyeball to make a crystal clear image to the brain. I also believe that others have noticed that same phenomenon in many optics. I have no complaints, I also have the x30 mrad eyepiece for my spotter. I would not hesitate to purchase another, and I am looking forward to the RAZOR II 4x27 that is coming.

I think you are reading to much into what I said. It doesn't go black and it doesn't turn to bathroom window glass. It might be closer to x55 but at full mag of x60 if I back the mag down just a little the image gets noticeably brighter and clearer. My RAZOR rifle scope does the same thing x18 is brighter and clearer than x20. This doesn't happen (or isn't noticeable) on a full sunshine day in the summer. I believe if you do a little research you will find that this is caused by the exit pupil of the scope at that magnification being smaller than the person's actual pupil. Basicly not enough light getting to the eyeball to make a crystal clear image to the brain. I also believe that others have noticed that same phenomenon in many optics. I have no complaints, I also have the x30 mrad eyepiece for my spotter. I would not hesitate to purchase another, and I am looking forward to the RAZOR II 4x27 that is coming.

Of course any variable power optic is going to be less bright as the magnification increases.
Everyone's threshold for acceptable brightness will be different. I use the Razor at 60x or the Zeiss at 75x if the situation dictates, even in lower light, with great results. The loss of brightness, to my eye, is directly proportional to the magnification. Both scopes have good enough objectives to support excellent resolution at their full magnifications, too.

Not saying I always use either scope at full magnification, but I don't think I give up anything if I do.

Probably we're in agreement but describing the same effect differently.

delixe