• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 vs Leupold SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
I've been thinking about upgrading my spotting scope and I can get a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 for about $1,250. So how much better is the Vortex than the Leupold SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80? Is it yea that's better, wow that's a lot better or holy crap that's way better? I've had the Leupold for around 8 years and don't use it much anymore because the eye relief is so tight (you have to almost touch the eyepiece to use it on 60x) that when you back it down far enough so it's easy to get behind it's not that much better than my 6-24x50 PST II scope.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about upgrading my spotting scope and I can get a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 for about $1,250. So how much better is the Vortex than the Leupold SX-1 Ventana 20-60x80? Is it yea that's better, wow that's a lot better or holy crap that's way better? I've had the Leupold for around 8 years and don't use it much anymore because the eye relief is so tight (you have to almost touch the eyepiece to use it on 60x) that when you back it down far enough so it's easy to get behind it's not that much better than my 6-24x50 PST II scope.
I have the Leupold kenai sx-2 and I feel my pst 6-24 is equivelant or better. The only decent thing about the sx2 is the fixed eyepiece. That part is nice. But resolution past 600 yards is lacking and the focus wheel sucks. I'm curious how much better a razor is as well.

I have the ventana. I’ve spent time on the Razors. If it’s the newest razor. Yes it’s woah wtf better. If u can get it for 1250. Snatch it up.

I’ve owned the Leupold Ventana, Kenai HD, and the Gen1 Razor spotters. The Razor was wwwaaayyy nicer than both Leupolds. So, I’m sure the Gen2 Razor spotter is even that much better. I was gonna get a 27-60 razor but opted for a Zeiss Victory Diascope FL spotter instead. Anyways, I say spring for that Razor. ?

Scored a killer deal on an NIB Razor from anther member. USPS has it now, but I should have it for the weekend, can't wait. My black Friday Oryx came in today along with a box of 77gr SMK .223s from Prime. Gonna be a fun day at the range Sunday.

Ok, so the Razor showed up a day early. The first thing I found out was how much my cheap tripod sucked, luckily the little brown truck showed up with it's replacement and now I don't get motion sickness when I look though it at 60x.

First impression wasn't quite a holy shit moment, but it is much, much better than the Leupold. Bright and clear edge to edge and no chromatic aberration at the edges. It have much better eye relief and is so much easier to get behind. Field of view at 60X is a lot better. With the Leupold you could look straight ahead and see the edges, not with the azo, you have to move your eye around to see everything at the edges. I was easily able to read 1" letters on a warning label on a piece of equipment 236 yards away. My only gripe, and it's a small one, is the focus ring is petty sensitive, that'll take some getting used to, but overall I'm quite pleased. Between the smoking deal I got on the Vortex and the fact I already have a buyer for the Leupold the upgrade only cost me $850. I got a lot of bang for my bucks on this one.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Leupold is to Vortex as Tasco is to Leupold. I have an older MK 4 Leupold that almost makes me dizzy when I look through it after using my Gen II Vortex Razor 27X60

Last edited:
The sx1 is not in the same league. That’s like comparing ncaa football to the nfl. We know the razor is better. How about comparing it to the new sx5 hd 27-55x80 leupold. I guess the sx5 hd has the same glass as the mk5hd & vx5/6hd. The birdforum guys seem to really like the Nikon monarch ED spotter saying it beats out all the others in its price range. That would be 3 spotters I would like to see side by side

I have the sx-4, and it looks better than the vortex to me, but it's also a $1200 scope.

The sx-1 sucked, all the way around.

Leupold is to Vortex as Tasco is to Leupold. I have an older MK 4 Leupold that almost makes me dizzy when I look through it after using my Gen II Vortex Razor 27X60

Send it in for cleaning and a checkup.

Compare the razor g2 to a mark 5 that's in the same decade and technology and you'll see why buying a mark 4 is stupid.

Send it in for cleaning and a checkup.

Compare the razor g2 to a mark 5 that's in the same decade and technology and you'll see why buying a mark 4 is stupid.
The mk4 doesn’t use ED glass or HD glass what leupold calls its ED glass. The golden ring HD is way better glass & probably leupolds best optical glass. To my eyes the golden ring hd looks a little bit better than my mk5hd 7-35x56. Even though the razor hd is made in China it probably uses fk61 Chinese ED glass which is more clear than the bak4 optical glass most likely used in the mk4. You are right he should probably send it in to get checked out if it’s that bad

Under $1,000.00 look at the Athlon Cronus 20-60x86 ED Spotting Scope which we have on sale for only $999.99, reduced from $1,499.99. This is a great option:
  • Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
  • ED Glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Dual Focus: Dual focus has dual speed focus knobs that offer both faster and finer focus adjustment
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Magnification20-60
Objective Lens Diameter86 mm
Prism GlassBak 4
Apochromatic Lens SystemYes
ESP Dielectric CoatingYes
XPL CoatingYes
ED GlassYes
Lense CoatingAdvanced Fully Multi-Coated
Field of View117-60 ft
Exit Pupil 4.1-1.3 mm
Eye Relief0.78-0.7"
Close Focus29.5′
Dimension (LxW)13.6"X3.9"
Weight66.5 oz

anyone else just throw an old cellphone on their spotter so the eye relief isn't important?
maybe just me because of my cheap spotter?
quality suffers, but at least i can glance over at it (i shoot all by myself).

anyone else just throw an old cellphone on their spotter so the eye relief isn't important?

Naked eye > Scope viewed though a phone.

Reactions: theLBC
I use a camera on my spottter a lot to capture videos but if I’m spotting for someone I definitely use my eye over trying to look at a screen on a phone.

Naked eye > Scope viewed though a phone.
absolutely. camera destroys the image quality, but again i shoot by myself so i can't spot for me.

this is a cheapish svbony scope at about 130 yards (@ 20x) and you can see the color and contrast is muted.
pretty sure if would be better without HDR turned on. looking through the scope is 2x better.