• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 w/ Reticle vs Leupold Mk4 vs LMSS2

_Thor_

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2022
USA
Hi all, I've been banging my head on the wall to make a decision on a spotting scope for range/competition use, and I'd love some insight.

* Needs to be able to spot impacts well at 1000 yards, but ideally even further on the odd occasion I have the opportunity to shoot 1500yds - 1 mi.
* Needs to have a mil reticle
* This isn't for hunting,etc, so weight isn't an issue
* Initially I was hoping to spend around $800, but I'm starting to lean more towards "buy-once, cry once" to get something that I'll be happy with for a long time, so at this point I think I'm ok with spending more in the $1500 - $1800 price range that the Mk4 and Razor are priced at.

Currently, it's down to these 3:

Leupold Mk4 12-40x60 w/ TMR reticle

Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 (plus the 22x fixed reticle eypiece)

Bushnell LMSS2 w/ H322 Reticle

The consensus seems to be that the Mk4 has better clarity than the Razor, but I'm thinking the Razor is more versatile since it supports up to 60x with the zoom eyepiece, but can also add a 22x reticle without buying a new scope.

What I'm wondering is - is there really any point in having a 22x spotting reticle if my rifle scope is already 25x or better? Would I be able to spot for another shooter just as well using my rifle scope in this case, vs the Mk4 and LMSS2 which support a 40x reticle? And does the LMSS2 stack up at all to the Mk4?

Any opinions or general thoughts about these spotting scopes would be helpful, thanks.

60x means nothing if you can't make out what you are zooming into.

For shots on prs type steel the mk4 is my choice. I actually had the razor and sold it for the mk4. I used the bushy lmss2 but not enough to make a judgment between the 3. I will say I'd take it over the razor.

I've spotted out to 1200 and never needed the full mag of the mk4 to do it. Clarity and crispness are there and in a much smaller/lighter package than the razor.

Also you will probably get some guys to sway you into a Swarovski spotter but if definitely suggest you try one first. They brought out a whole bunch of demos for us ROs to use at a 2 day match and I didn't see the hype out to 1100. Don't get me wrong it was good glass but not enough to justify the price jump for me. Personally I'd still choose the mk4.

All this info may change when you get past 1200 but at that range I definitely felt it can go further before I feel like I'd maybe want a Kowa.

Reactions: _Thor_
I’ve got a few LMSS2 and have had great luck with them. I use them from PRS to ELR and use them in King of 2 mile with no issues. I really like them as you can zoom way out. And the straight design makes finding targets quick and easy!

You can find used MK4's for under $1,000 if you're patient and at that price it's hard to beat.
What's the best place to find them used? I was only able to find 1 on ebay, but it was the mil dot reticle, which I'm not interested in.

What's the best place to find them used? I was only able to find 1 on ebay, but it was the mil dot reticle, which I'm not interested in.
I found mine here on the Hide. But it's good to check ebay and any local only selling forums.

Of those, I'd take the Mk4. I use them a lot and have for 16 years. I have personal one from 2009 that I'm still pretty happy with. The new models definitely have better glass and coatings but mine is still fine. I have largely switched over to my 15x Swaro bino for range use tho.

The Vortex is ok but I don't love them. The 22x eye-piece is fine since 15-25x is where I live as a spotter but I like being able to zoom out to pan, and in if I need to see something. I struggle to get them to focus well. I don't own one but have used them quite a lot; all day, a week at a shot, five total weeks (I think every Razor model at this point).

I really think the LMSS is pretty poor. I use them only because they work pretty well with a camera adapter and/or camera and NVG. It's better than needing an entire camera kit for night and still needing a spotter. It's a trade. When we have a lot of spotters on the line and guys look through them after seeing Mk4, Spotter45, Prominar, and ATS or SLC they all say, "Gross."