• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD 4000 LRF first impressions

cwinston

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Virginia
I’ve had this unit for a whole day and a half, but here is my take thus far. I have been looking for a reasonably priced LRF that can reliably range targets to 2,000 yds. But there isn’t much in that market space without spending what I would consider serious money. I don't need the connectivity or ballistic functions the other models offer and with a good past history with Vortex I decided this model looked promising.

Having tested it against various steel plates, trees, rocks, and water towers, I can say that the advertised ranges appear to be accurate with the exception that I haven’t tested road signs because I don’t shoot them so I really don’t care if it can range a road sign to 4000 yds. And here on the east coast I feel real lucky to have a place that I can shoot close to 1 mile. I have no real chance of finding another place to shoot further within 5 states of here.

I have tested it against cows and horses of all colors and sizes to 2000 yds and have had no problems. I was able to pick out individual animals in the herd without issue. Tested the first and last modes through narrow cuts in trees and it worked as expected.

In checking the beam divergence with NVG, the beam is a very thin horizontal line that matches up with the 2.0 x 0.1 MIL claimed by the Vortex team. The beam registers well right below center of the aiming circle.

All my testing has been in full sun conditions. It’s almost boring testing this thing, I get a reading exactly as I expect every time. If I can see it, it can range it.

I have no complaints as to glass quality I think it looks very good and clear. My vision isn’t great and I appreciate good glass. This LRF doesn’t disappoint.

I will continue to test this over time, and one of these evenings I will get to scan for some deer in the fields.

This LRF doesn’t leave much on the table. Thank you Vortex!

Reactions: Slash0311
I just saw this one on Brownells. After my issues with the Sig BDX 1800 I mentioned in my other thread, i may reall consider this one if I can bump up my budget a bit. Thanx for the review.

Went to another location today but the animals were not cooperating, they are usually further out, and I was looking into the sun.

Very easy to range brown sheep at 800 yds, a little more difficult to range black cows at 1470 facing into the sun, but was able to do so in ELR mode easily.

The furthest I was able to see was to the road as it went over the hill where there was a speed limit sign. Hit that very easily at 2638 with no hesitation at all.

Then I found a location that had a ton of power lines at 108 yds then a building behind them at 1834. The normal and first modes picked up the power lines every time, but the last mode worked exactly as it should and only returned the building at 1834 consistently.

The more I use this the more I like it. But I’m having a hard time finding places long enough to test to failure.

I’ve been using this for a couple of weeks now and have continued to be impressed. It has ranged every target painted with flat primer inside 1 mile without issue regardless of size or distance every time I push the button. Some were as small as .75 MOA at 1,000 yds. This weekend I was at a shoot and showed it to my friends who were using it to check the range on the targets and they were similarly impressed. Then I told them to turn around and hit the house on the top of the hill behind the firing line that you could barely see. It was over 1,500 yds away and all three of us got identical readings hand held without a tripod. Now I admit I live in the foothills of Virginia and it’s darn near impossible to see beyond 2000 yds except in a few select locations, but I kid you not. This range finder has returned ranges on virtually everything I have pointed it at.

The performance of this LRF combined with the Vortex warranty, and it is going to be a long time till I need to buy another one.

Some were as small as .75 MOA at 1,000 yds.

For me, this is the most important part of your review. I buy a rangefinder to range targets at which I intend to shoot. As I said in the other Vortex 4K thread, I don't care if it can range a water tower 1800 yards away. It's a freaking water tower! It's the 50' tall and the width of a softball field!!! Same goes for the stop sign down the street! The stop sign has an ultra-reflective coating to make it more visible at night.

I need a rangefinder that will accurately range an 8" round plate at 750 yards. Or a 3/4 IPSC at 828 yards. A coyote at 635 years. A 2 MOA target at 1085? Oh, and I need it to work after four other squads have already shot the crap out of it!