• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 question

MTAR15

Twist'n Grips & Pack'n Dips
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 20, 2009
    Montana
    I picked up a new Razor HD this week, I've read a lot of comments about an eyebox upgrade. But I can seem to find anything that tells me what the upgrade is or why it's needed. I did a google search and a search here, nothing has come up that explains it.

So my questions:

1. What is the upgrade?
    2. How do I know if mine has it?
    3. The one I have is a 2011 model that my dealer received this week, can I assume it's already been upgraded?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 question

I looked for something like that all morning, my search skills must really be lacking.

Thanks a million.

The adjustment end for your focus in which the knurled part looks different as someone stated is metal where as the prior models this was a rubber mounted piece.

This is in reference to the black adjustment piece in the back

New updated version metal
    Old version rubber coated

This update is intended to allow for more eye relief thus making it more user friendly I have used both versions, the new version has made it easier for the shooter to acquire the intended target.

it should be a mute point.

If it's a new production 2011 model it should have the upgrade already.

Good shooting I love my razor!

If you have an EBR-1 reticle, there is a good chance it does not have the upgrade. They were still running behind on upgrading these when I last spoke to them about 6 weeks ago.

I encourage you to call them directly and have them check the serial number for you. They are some of the friendliest folks you will ever deal with. If you do need an upgrade, they will do it for free. The turn around on mine was less than a week.

FYI, with the initial versions of the Razor, the eyebox required the user to have ultra perfect alignment with the eye and scope. The new eyebox is a bit more forgiving.

This has the 2B, so I'd hope I'm good to go. But I will call Vortex tomorrow and confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTAR15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has the 2B, so I'd hope I'm good to go. But I will call Vortex tomorrow and confirm.

</div></div>

You are probably GTG, then. But, might as well call over and introduce yourself. If you are as pleased as I am, you will be a Vortex customer for life.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTAR15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has the 2B, so I'd hope I'm good to go. But I will call Vortex tomorrow and confirm.

</div></div>

You can make the call for sure to Vortex, but it’s pretty dang simple to tell if your Reticle Focus is the older black rubber coated or the new updated black metal piece.

Very simple to tell the difference

Just saying

Just got my Razor HD 5-20 back from Vortex for the ocular upgrade.

Excellent service, and they made it a real simple process.

Called CS inquiring about the upgrade, they told me dates that were available about 1-2 weeks out. Mailed out the scope, and received it back in 1 week. They quoted me a 10 day turn around time, but got it back to me in less.

Like stated before, the ocular is now metal, the older one was rubber coated. Eye relief is vastly improved, and IMHO was the upgrade that this scope needed. I found the eye relief with the older ocular hard to work with, and this upgrade fixes my annoyances with the scope.

I have used Vortex CS a few times, and can honestly say, it is hands down THE BEST CS I have ever dealt with. They will continue to get my business, and I will without reservation, recommend them to anyone who asks about them.

I gave them a call but for some reason they could not tell me based on the SN. But the lady on the phone did a very good job explaining exactly how to check and what to look for. I'm already factory upgraded on both my scopes.

I have 2 of them, one with the old, one with the new. I'm waiting on my next set of 35mm rings to come in before I do a test and see just how different they are back to back.

I've put the new one on my 7/300 WSM and I noticed a difference, but I have not quantified that difference in any way. I'm going to try to do that.

The SN on my scope with the new occular is lower than the SN with the old occular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 of them, one with the old, one with the new..............
    The SN on my scope with the new ocular is lower than the SN with the old ocular.</div></div>
    Counter wrap-around?
    grin.gif