• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD gen 2 vs IOR Valdada Recon

l2p

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2013
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Looking to get new glass and have it narrowed down to two. Based on the price and features, the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 and the IOR Valdada Recon 4-28x50 are currently my top choices. My decision now pretty much boils down to image quality and there aren't any places near me that stock either one so I can't look through them in person. I've already read a bunch of reviews for each one, but I can't seem to find anything that compares them head to head, especially with through the scope pics of the IOR. Is there anyone here who has firsthand (firsteye?) experience with both? Which one has better clarity? Better contrast? Less chromatic aberration?

This is going to go on a pretty hefty bolt gun, so weight is not a big issue. Currently the max range I have access to is about 600yd, but I want to have the capability to go further should the opportunity arise. Being able to use this to spot for my buddies doesn't hurt either.

Thanks, I appreciate any info you can share.

I would go with the Razor. Plenty of users here, probably not too many users of the IOR. The Razor is being put in the league of the S&B's for image quality. Just look at what people are using in your local comp's. I really doubt you'd see an IOR being used, and if so how well are they placing? Or how long until they replace their glass? Best of luck, J

I asked a similar question years ago, I listened to the advice, I hope you do as well.

Get the Vortex.

I've handled two IORs. One of the terminator models and the 2.5-10 ffp model. Both didn't impress me for their price. They honestly felt kind of cheap and the reticles looked way too thick.

Ive owned a couple IORs and one Vortex. I would buy the Vortex. Just dont think the IORs are worth as much as they cost. But I still like the leupolds I have too....

Wow, thanks for the response guys. I'm somewhat relieved because I was secretly rooting for the Vortex - I actually have their PST in both 1-4 and 2.5-10ffp and am very happy with both. The only thing that made me hesitate was seeing the relatively disappointing optical performance of the Gen I here: Tactical Scopes: Optical Performance Part 1 | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

On that note, how much better is the glass on the Gen II than the Gen I?

The Nightforce BEAST was their only model that had all the features I want, but it's just slightly beyond my budget. Plus a 34mm tube is advantageous since I already have a set lying around. I'm definitely going to have to do more research on that Kahles though.

I really appreciate the feedback.