• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 Opinions

Horhey232

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2013
California
I am looking to put an optic on my newly completed AR15 and looking for a good all around optic. I will be shooting a mix up 3 gun/multigun, varmiting, and tactical use. I really am starting to dig the JM BDC reticle for being able to calculate drop quickly. Anyone have one of these and willing to post up their two cents about this optic?

For anyone wondering what my AR build is (front to back)
Surefire SFMB 556 Brake
White Oak Armament SDM 20" 1:8 twist barrel
Troy 15" VTAC rail
GG&G 45 degree offsets
GG&G Accucam mount
Mega Arms upper
JP LMOS BCG
JP Silent Captured Spring
Franklin Armory Libertas Billet Lower
JP EZ Trigger
Palmetto State Armory LPK (for the rest of the lower components)
Magpul K2 Grip
Guntec Buffer Tube
VLTOR Emod Stock

Might be adding:
Surefire M300 Scout Light
Harris BR Bipod w/ GG&G QD mount

Excellent optic! Been running one since early last year in 3 gun and it's great. Wide FOV and perfect sized dot at 1x and the JM-1 reticle works great for fast holds. There are MOA and Mil reticles now if you wanted one though. I have nothing bad to say about this optic. It does have a long eye relief though so make sure to get a mount with some offset.

The biggest reason for me to look at this is because I work for a Vortex distributor and the discount is pretty substantial ;)

The Razor 1-6x is impossible to beat for the $. Great glass and a brilliant daytime visible dot. I run a Swarovski 1-6x on my multi-gun carbine which is a fantastic scope but nearly twice the cost of the Razor which wasn't available when I bought my Swarovski. About the only knock on the Razor is the weight which I personally couldn't care less about.

Here is a 15 page thread on the Razor 1-6x for your reading pleasure Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II - Rifle - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I had a Vortex 1-6x on a similarly configured AR15 for a while. Instead of a WOA SDM barrel, it was a WOA SR barrel, basically the same barrel without the fluting. Instead of the 15" Troy, I had a 14" Fortis Rev. That setup is somewhat heavy. I think it was around 11.5# with a loaded 30rd magazine without a bipod/light. That won't be too much of a problem for 3gun since you usually don't carry the gun for more than a minute or two at a time. But for tactical use I think it might get fatiguing especially if you're doing a lot of offhand shots, imho. The magnification ring is pretty stiff (but you can send it back to Vortex to get it lightened) so you pretty much need a throw lever if you care about switching magnification levels quickly imo. Also it's nice that you got a 20" barrel since it'll be easier to match up your ammo to the bdc to get close to nice even yardages. With a 16" barrel it's pretty hard to get the velocity you need to do that. It's a great optic though, the FOV/glass quality/construction/illumination is really nice. I think it's the best value for a 1-nx scope in that price range. ymmv.

Last edited:
Beautiful scope and as Rob said it's super fast. Gaining a lot of ground in 3 gun as an alternative to the Swaro, which is also a great scope but not at twice the price in my opinion. The vortex is weighty but so is it's alternatives like the Leupold, SWFA, etc. it's compactness allows the weight to be easily managed.

Had the Vortex, loved it. Bright, clear, sharp edge to edge, dot was daylight visible, great scope. Put my USO 1.5-6x to shame.

Delivered next day by Eurooptic, cost $1400. Hard to beat.

Con's are: A little heavy.

SFP. Honestly, not a big deal for this scope, didn't do a whole lot of ranging on a .223 carbine.

I'm replacing it w a Kahles, 17 ounces, it's SFP also, but again, not doing a lot of ranging/holdovers on a 300 yard .223. Unfortunately, the Kahles is almost a $1000 more. Hope it's worth it.

I've got one on my .223 and love it. I originally bought it for a lightweight Grendel build, but I put it on my .223 over my ACOG for some load development and well it hasn't left that rifle since. I'll be getting a good 2.5-10 for my grendel probably nighforce. A little heavy, but a great optic! I love the thing. Scott at Liberty Optics took care of me on it.

I feel like we've had this exact thread a few times lately...

Anyway, I had one. See all the comments above about it being heavy? That's my biggest gripe. It's really heavy. Fine for 3-gun use where you carry the carbine for a minute or two, but would be less than ideal for anything involving carrying a rifle for hours.

Pros - it sure feels like a tank build-wise, and the wide field of view is great. I thought the glass was good but not a standout for the price - it's not nearly as good, to my eyes, as the Leupold Mark 6, and maybe about on par with the VX-6 that costs 2/3 as much and weighs a little over 1/2 as much. The magnification ring is a bit stiff. The ocular is so large that some mount and BUIS combinations will create interference, forcing you to use either a high mount (bad idea) or very low BUIS (better idea, and more options available now).

I have a Vortex 1-6x on my 18” AR but I have not used it a lot. What I can say is the Vortex 1-6x is built extremely well, the glass is very good (not the best but very good), daytime bright illumination, the turret system is really good, and the reticle options are very nice.
Here is a link to the Vortex cstactical
522503_518563871519464_1558907890_n.jpg

600411_518562534852931_1082949871_n.jpg

The Kahles 1-5x and the 1-6x are extremely good scopes also and the glass is amazing. Here is a link to the Kahles cstactical
10268649_710801342295715_403923404374297146_n.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Some pics of the reticle I had and figured some might want to see. Taken through my front window at the house.
1x pole about 10 yards

1x house about 75 yards

6x same house

I wish Kahles would provide a true ranging reticle with 1-5x. The pricing, coupled with the weight is attractive.

Last edited: