• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor HD Gen III 6-36x56

Agreed the newest productions are great. I really need to send in my two from 2021 and get them updated and have the locking feature removed.

You and me both! But I have nothing to compare it to so I havent sent it in yet. I have a feeling when I receive my latest from Scott here any day now I might be sending me first 1 in quickly.

Man.......everyone hating the reticle. I really like it, simple clean easy, gives you everything you need. Vortex did their homework and realized this will be a competition scope, and most shooters in that discipline are running 20X or more all the time. If you make a reticle thick to be run down low, anything above 26-28 power it's gonna be useless.
I agree, I love the vortex retical. The only thing I would love to see added is some fine dots on the Christmas tree. But it's a simple clean retical that works very well, and without clutter.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Im eyeing a gen3 but wanted to check and see what you guys think of the competition... Seems almost every other brand's top teir scope is cheaper than the gen3 razor.
Im looking at the following compared to Vortex:

Bushnell Elite
Burris XTR Pro
Leupold MK5
Tract Optics 34mm ELR
Sig Tango 6

With .mil pricing, the Vortex seems to be $800-$1000 more than every one of the options listed. Does it bring that much more to the table over the other brands to justify the price increase?

Last edited:
Im eyeing a gen3 but wanted to check and see what you guys think of the competition... Seems almost every other brand's top teir scope is cheaper than the gen3 razor.

Bushnell Elite
Burris XTR Pro
Leupold MK5
Tract Optics 34mm ELR
Sig Tango 6

With .mil pricing, the Vortex seems to be $800-$1000 more than every one of the options listed. Does it bring that much more to the table over the other brands to justify the price increase?
DMR versions my jam. HDMR and DMR3. DMR3 glass is improved/brighter over the 2 series, but I can't bring myself to sell the HDMR because everything else about it is so daggum solid. Track like micrometers.

Tested an XRS2 and it had the toilet paper tube FOV look like the Leupold MK5HD.

Last edited:

Bushnell Elite
Burris XTR Pro
Leupold MK5
Tract Optics 34mm ELR
Sig Tango 6

Had a Bushnell XRS3 6-36 and was a little disappointed in the glass. Seemed like a solid optic but with the glass and no illumination I ended up selling it. Of that list the Burris Pro and Tract ELR are good choices. The glass is just a little behind the Gen III but they have good features and reticles. The Zeiss S3 is another that should be looked at in that area. Glass is as good if not a hair better than the Gen III in my side by sides but the price is closer also unlike the other choices. Comes down to what you want to spend.

Reactions: YotaEer
I had the bushnell xrs3 and loved that scope I think it competes very well with the razor gen 3. The razor is better but not by much for me.

@Jmccracken1214 Don’t forget the Steiner T6, to my eye the glass is slightly better than the XTR Pro.
The t6 seems to be very comparible to the xtr pro that i have, and the Pro is cheaper.

Ive got a 6.5CM and a 223 bolt gun that Im wanting to scope. I already have the PRO, but not sure if another 6-36 would be good, or a lesser power mag. optic for one of the 2.

Reactions: Spikediesel
The t6 seems to be very comparible to the xtr pro that i have, and the Pro is cheaper.

Ive got a 6.5CM and a 223 bolt gun that Im wanting to scope. I already have the PRO, but not sure if another 6-36 would be good, or a lesser power mag. optic for one of the 2.
Ah ok, I was thinking you wanted the same power range. I had the same thought as you, I have a T6 5-30 and wanted something smaller and more compact for hunting so I bought a Zeiss S3 4-25. The first zeiss I bought was an early version that suffered an illumination issue but that’s been worked out. The Zeiss has better glass or coatings, and by saying that I mean better color that is more pleasing to the eye. I am by no means an optical expert this is my personal experience.

Ah ok, I was thinking you wanted the same power range. I had the same thought as you, I have a T6 5-30 and wanted something smaller and more compact for hunting so I bought a Zeiss S3 4-25. The first zeiss I bought was an early version that suffered an illumination issue but that’s been worked out. The Zeiss has better glass or coatings, and by saying that I mean better color that is more pleasing to the eye. I am by no means an optical expert this is my personal experience.
Have you or anyone else compared the tract uhd 34mm scope?
I’m not saying it’ll be better than the g3 or Zeus’s, but at $700-$800 less, is it the better buy?

I owned and used a tract in a couple matches. It’s a nice scope. Glass below the Gen III but still very good. The elevation knobs are very tall when unlocked though. Something to think about. I liked the reticle a lot.

I owned and used a tract in a couple matches. It’s a nice scope. Glass below the Gen III but still very good. The elevation knobs are very tall when unlocked though. Something to think about. I liked the reticle a lot.
I had one years ago but can’t recall. I know that I didn’t have anything negative to say. The 30mm version has a small fov.
Just wondering if it’s the best bang for $1400

The Tract uses same optical formula as all the rest the high end Low products. Think cronus etr, Stryker, maven. It's a solid design, good glass, good reticle. Won't blow you away but won't leave you wanting either.

Reactions: Rob01
For that price I would go Pro again unless you want to try something different. If not needing the power the new tract 4-25 looks nice too.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
The Element Theos 6-36 is the new turret king. I will compare my Theos to my Gen III in another thread as they share many similarities, in some ways its possible they are the same optic coming from LOW. The quick and dirty of it is the Theos has the best turrets of any alpha level optic, and the Razor III has some of the best glass.
20230827_101035.jpg

The Element Theos 6-36 is the new turret king. I will compare my Theos to my Gen III in another thread as they share many similarities, in some ways its possible they are the same optic coming from LOW. The quick and dirty of it is the Theos has the best turrets of any alpha level optic, and the Razor III has some of the best glass.
View attachment 8223620
Better than Theta?! Shut the front door......They may share the same physical dimensions but the FOV numbers are different, the element has 7mil less internal elevation. Things are definitely different. You lay a 6-36 S3 Zeiss next to these 2 and it looks the same as well. Low prob has em all being made in their facility. There are three different scopes available on the same frame as the S3 4-25, Tract and another company out of S Africa. That one's a blatant give away when you see 40+ mils on dial in a short body, clone give away.

Last edited:
Better than Theta?! Shut the front door......They may share the same physical dimensions but the FOV numbers are different, the element has 7mil less internal elevation. Things are definitely different. You lay a 6-36 S3 Zeiss next to these 2 and it looks the same as well. Low prob has em all being made in their facility. There are three different scopes available on the same frame as the S3 4-25, Tract and another company out of S Africa. That one's a blatant give away when you see 40+ mils on dial in a short body, clone give away.
Theta.... not sure, but the Gen III HD is on par or very very close with the ZCO for glass. Glass being subjective. I didn't say these Gen III and Theos optics are identical, but they share many of the same dimensions. And I am betting the Theos and thr G III may have similar glass, both made at the LOW factory. The S3 is slightly not quite on par with the Gen III, not quite as clear, but close.

This order for glass clarity, color contrast, definition, CA.

G3 HD > Theos > S3

Isn't the S3 4-25 shorter then the 6-36 S3?

Theta.... not sure, but the Gen III HD is on par or very very close with the ZCO for glass. Glass being subjective. I didn't say these Gen III and Theos optics are identical, but they share many of the same dimensions. And I am betting the Theos and thr G III may have similar glass, both made at the LOW factory. The S3 is slightly not quite on par with the Gen III, not quite as clear, but close.

This order for glass clarity, color contrast, definition, CA.

G3 HD > Theos > S3

Isn't the S3 4-25 shorter then the 6-36 S3?
Yes 4-25 is a shorty body, high mag ratio, high elevation pedigree offered by low.

I have 3 zco and 3 gen3 razors. They close in optimum conditions, with zco winning and gen3 losing edge clarity. But put them in the shit viewing conditions and zco pulls ahead in all categories.

Reactions: Sako man
Yes 4-25 is a shorty body, high mag ratio, high elevation pedigree offered by low.

I have 3 zco and 3 gen3 razors. They close in optimum conditions, with zco winning and gen3 losing edge clarity. But put them in the shit viewing conditions and zco pulls ahead in all categories.
How would you compare the S3 4-25 to the S3 6-36? I have an S3 6-36 and wondering how it stacks to the 4-25. I guess the question is relevant to anyone who's used both side by side.

How would you compare the S3 4-25 to the S3 6-36? I have an S3 6-36 and wondering how it stacks to the 4-25. I guess the question is relevant to anyone who's used both side by side.

Compare how? Both have excellent glass, and same reticle and knobs. Just more power in the 6-36.

Compare how? Both have excellent glass, and same reticle and knobs. Just more power in the 6-36.
Image quality. Yes you can have the same glas, however shorter designs simetimes can exibit different characteristics. I do find the fact that when zooming the S3, it will loose focus. Wondering if the 25 does the same thing.

Image quality. Yes you can have the same glas, however shorter designs simetimes can exibit different characteristics. I do find the fact that when zooming the S3, it will loose focus. Wondering if the 25 does the same thing.
Neither of mine do that now. When I first got them I notice it when popped out of box to take a look but after setting diopter it stopped doing it.

Image quality is great in both my 4-25 and 6-36.

The 4-25 due to its short length suffers from some of the typical short scope symptoms, depth of field that requires some attention to the parallax and an eyebox that's notvery forgiving. However the s3 eyebox is pretty decent, not as good as the 6-36. Similar on the depth of field, the 6-36 is pretty dang good here, and the 4-25 does come up short, but not like a nx8 2.5-20 or a march 3-24.

DMR versions my jam. HDMR and DMR3. DMR3 glass is improved/brighter over the 2 series, but I can't bring myself to sell the HDMR because everything else about it is so daggum solid. Track like micrometers.

Tested an XRS2 and it had the toilet paper tube FOV look like the Leupold MK5HD.

"....the toilet paper tube FOV look like the Leupold MK5HD."

Is that why people are unloading Leupold MK5HDs here in the PX?

Kind of like the 5x-7x tunneling of PMII Schmidt Benders that seems to prompt selling of those scopes?

Kind of like the 5x-7x tunneling of PMII Schmidt Benders that seems to prompt selling of those scopes?

If people were dumping their S&Bs for tunneling at 5-7x then they bought the wrong scope to begin with. Lol

I don't know. There are Mk5 users who report no toilet paper tube effect, and I so bad want them to look through an XTR III in comparison, or my DMRs. I asked once about the small FOV on a forum and the MK5 users dug their heels in and said I must have looked through a fake MK5...geez.

I don't know. There are Mk5 users who report no toilet paper tube effect, and I so bad want them to look through an XTR III in comparison, or my DMRs. I asked once about the small FOV on a forum and the MK5 users dug their heels in and said I must have looked through a fake MK5...geez.

Guess there is a hardcore Leupold crowd out there....Jon Pynch earning his keep!

Guess there is a hardcore Leupold crowd out there....Jon Pynch earning his keep!
Yeah, and there is the psychological self trick A LOT of people will do to defend a product they bought because they're too proud of the purchase to be objective about the pros and cons.

Reactions: CaseFinder
.....and the Leupold MK5HDs?
The MK5 is a good optic. I know this boils down to preference, and I have never been a big leupold fan till the MK5. Bang for the buck the MK5 when it first came out, and still is formidable.

The tunneling in the PM2 is way down in the mag range, not a lot of people taking shots at 5-7x.

Yeah, and there is the psychological self trick A LOT of people will do to defend a product they bought because they're too proud of the purchase to be objective about the pros and cons.
Accuracy International, cough......cough.........lol. I own one complete rifle and a few chassis. The rifle is just so so. I do love the atx chassis tho.

Doubtful. Yes, the Mark5 FOV is somewhat narrow, but Kahles K318i is worse, ZCO slightly better and Schmidt US 3-20 considerably better but you've got to pay a lot more for those scopes. The Burris XTR III also has better FOV than Mark5 but convincing a Leupold owner to switch to Burris is like asking a Porsche driver to switch to a Corvette, sure the vette might be faster and corner better but that doesn't really matter to the Porsche owner, what really matters is that they own a Porsche.

I think the biggest frustration with the Mark5 3.6-18x44 is the lack of a good tree reticle, all Leupy has to do is put the PR2 mil reticle in there like they do for the 5-25 and 7-35 but Leupold decisions are made by mostly old school execs who aren't up on latest trends (I say this based on their track record over the past ten years) and so they lag behind almost everyone else. Nightforce was like this for a while, but seemed to catch up to speed quick by 2018, but before the Mil-XT, the reticle choices were lacking. The other issue is Leupold's decision to go with a 35mm tube, not being "swappable" with other mounts and scopes is not the end of the world but makes it more of a pain if you want to move scopes around. Also, if you want illumination you are going to pay for it, and quite a bit for it and again - lack of decent tree reticles limits choices here.

Credit to @koshkin for showing that a black version exists in the wild:

Very nice! Is that the new Tangent Theta... lol. For those of us who are getting away from that bronze look. The glass on the G3 is really very very good. You could spend $1k more on an SNB and not get any better. I just wish this was made in an SCR or MSR reticle, not that the EBR is too entrusive, however if you're strictly a dialer it gets in the way.

Very nice! Is that the new Tangent Theta... lol. For those of us who are getting away from that bronze look. The glass on the G3 is really very very good. You could spend $1k more on an SNB and not get any better. I just wish this was made in an SCR or MSR reticle, not that the EBR is too entrusive, however if you're strictly a dialer it gets in the way.
How does it get in the way if you strictly dial? All the tree is below center line. Do you dial under and hold over? I only hold elevation if it is required of me or I have to make an extremely hasty shot, a reticles tree isn't invasive if your point of aim, is always at reticle center line since you dialed it out. The only tree reticle in my personal use that's more than I prefer is the MilXt, but that scopes special purpose light weight compact full illumination to be run with a thermal and a lrf at night, so I can hold, as I can't see the dials.

How does it get in the way if you strictly dial? All the tree is below center line. Do you dial under and hold over? I only hold elevation if it is required of me or I have to make an extremely hasty shot, a reticles tree isn't invasive if your point of aim, is always at reticle center line since you dialed it out. The only tree reticle in my personal use that's more than I prefer is the MilXt, but that scopes special purpose light weight compact full illumination to be run with a thermal and a lrf at night, so I can hold, as I can't see the dials.
First off I agree. FJB... ok that said. Tree type reticle only get in the way of my vision, it doesn't get in the way of dialing. I like my view uncomplicated, the MSR has to be my favorite reticle. I have some optics with hold overs but I prefer them on my gas guns. So bolt action directly dial elevation but hold overs on my semi autos. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

Last edited:
First off I agree. FJB... ok that said. Tree type reticle only get in the way of my vision, it doesn't get in the way of dialing. I like my view uncomplicated, the MSR has to be my favorite reticle. I have some optics with hold overs but I prefer them on my gas guns. So bolt action directly dial elevation but hold overs on my semi autos. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
I've got a t6xi msr2 on my suppressed 6cm hunting rifle(like the reticle!). Under recoil impulse the targets is typically 0.5 low and 0.3 R of center. I had a razor HD LHT 4.5-22 on it prior with a tree, the tree didn't obscure things. But we all have our preferences. Brakes with top ports typically keep targets at center of reticle line, some even a bit above depending on rifle balance in my use.

I've got a t6xi msr2 on my suppressed 6cm hunting rifle(like the reticle!). Under recoil impulse the targets is typically 0.5 low and 0.3 R of center. I had a razor HD LHT 4.5-22 on it prior with a tree, the tree didn't obscure things. But we all have our preferences. Brakes with top ports typically keep targets at center of reticle line, some even a bit above depending on rifle balance in my use.
How do you like the T6xi? How is the glass and tracking? There is not a lot of information out there on the T6 series. This is an optic I have really been wondering about.

I like the fact that Steiner does the MSR and SCR both.

How do you like the T6xi? How is the glass and tracking? There is not a lot of information out there on the T6 series. This is an optic I have really been wondering about.

I like it quite a lot. It's the 3-18 model. Eyebox and depth of field are very forgiving. Good glass, tracks true. Turret locking mechanism is different. Turret clicks have never been a win for Steiner/Burris(haven't touched xtr pro to compare) these aren't great, some what similar to a quieter less tangible atacr turret. Not bad at all, just not gonna make you say "oooo these are nice".

There's a decent thread on the TX6i on the Hide. It is optically better than a MK5. Just wished it was as light as the MK5.

Attachments

• 20230921_162844.jpg
    20230921_162844.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 88
Those of you who have sent your Gen III back to Vortex and had the elevation turret lock removed, is the turret in the normally locked or unlocked position?