• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD vs Vortex Razor HD GEN 2

cjohn11

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2014
America
Alright I'm looking for a new optic, and thus far have settled on vortex. I'm between the razor HD 5x20x50 and razor HD gen 2 4.5x27x56. Is there a difference, minus the 2c and 2b reticle options. Who has shot it? And who has any other suggestions for optics?

Last edited:
Thanks man, sounds good to me I'll have to see what people think of the side by side comparisons.

I shoot very well with my Gen I Razors and I cannot imagine fixing something which is not broke. That's my story and I'm sticking to it for as long as possible... or until I get money'd up really good...

No, seriously. If you can steal someone's Gen I Razor for a good price, you will have a GREAT scope for a GREAT price.

I can post a side by side review in a few weeks as I have one en route. Will run them next to the 3 Gen I I have now.

when one of you guys wants to dump those old out dated razors. PM me.

Here's a pic of the new Razor II 4.5-27x next to the original Razor 5-20x with the S&B 5-25x in between them. The original Razor is a very good scope but the new Razor II is the next step up.
DSCN2101.JPGDSCN2100.JPGDSCN2099.JPGDSCN2098.JPGDSCN2097.JPG

I had the opportunity to be with Rob when he took these photos. Looking across the street with the S&B and then the Gen II Razor, I really struggled to perceive the difference in glass quality. Clarity and color resolution difference was imperceptible. The tactile clicks of the Gen II's locking turrets were very crisp. The low power doesn't tunnel like the S&B. Vortex really did well with the GenII.

The original Razor, while still a great optic, is in a lesser class.

How does the glass in the razor gen 1 compare to that of the nxs? Focal plane aside, I'm curious. I don't have a razor but am leaning in on it for my 6.5. I have an nxs 5.5-22 and I gotta say I like it, but low light clarity has been disappointing.