• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor II 4.5-27 Question

ethridgemd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Colorado
I just purchased a new Razor II EBR-2C and mounted on my rifle this evening. I have maybe a silly question. The advertised elevation is 33 mils. I dialed it up and I only get 18 mils and the indicator only shows the single notch/line when I get to the stop. Does it need an adjustment internally to allow for the maximum elevation? If so, any hints/pitfalls would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just purchased a new Razor II EBR-2C and mounted on my rifle this evening. I have maybe a silly question. The advertised elevation is 33 mils. I dialed it up and I only get 18 mils and the indicator only shows the single notch/line when I get to the stop. Does it need an adjustment internally to allow for the maximum elevation? If so, any hints/pitfalls would be appreciated. Thanks.

They are typicall see at mechanical center when new. So, if there is 33 mils, you’d get 16.5 up and 16.5 down.

The indicator only shows one notch because it would be 20 mils to get to the second rotation.

To get the maximum up travel, take the cap off and loosen the set screws. Turn it all the way down. You should then be able to use all the travel in the turret.

However, you will only be able to use all the travel if you have inclined bases.

You have 33 mils of travel (16.5 from center).

Theoretically, your scope should zero at this center point if you use a base withount cant. Realistically, it will likely be within a mil or two of this center.

So, in theory, to get the full 33 mils out of the optic, you would need a 16.5 mil base. I would just go with an 11.6 (40 moa) base or a 20 moa base 6mil spuhr mount.

That would theoretically give you 27.7 mils or usable elevation.

I have a 20 moa base and 6mil spuhr mount in my AMG and I get around 26 mil of useable elevation.

That video is always good to post for new users as it gives them the correct info to go zero with. Now they get the multi tool so no need for all three tools.

Dthomas pretty much covered it. Mount it up on your rifle and zero and then you will see how much you have left. On a 20 MOA base I get a little over 20 mils from my 4.5-27s. That's more than enough for my use as usually 7.5-10mils will get me to 1000 in my calibers. If you wanted more then do as Dthomas did and either get a combo base and mount set up with more cant or a higher cant base. What rifle and caliber is it going on?

Thank you for those explanations. I guess there really is no reason to ever buy a 0mil base in order to get the maximum elevation out of the scope?

Thanks again

Nope as long as the scope has plenty of internal elevation.

So if the rail is 20MOA and the mount is 0 then thats the same as what Rob01 stated above with a 20MOA mount? Its on my 280AI custom rifle. Sorry for the newbie questions.

Yup should be close to 20 mils of usable elevation and then you have the 10 mils in the scope reticle.