• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor LTH vs SWFA 3-15x vs SWFA Fixed 16

matto6

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2021
New York
I participate in freehand shooting sport where you shoot paper targets placed at exactly 50 feet. I currently have a Leupold 3-9x Freedom scope and I like it a lot, but I need more zoom than 9x (the targets are tiny). I tried someone's 16x scope and it was nice. 14x might be even better.

Could anyone help me pick between the following scopes?

Vortex 3-15x Razor LHT
I like a lot about this scope, but my main concern is that it says the minimum focus is 20 yards which is 60 feet. My target will be at 50 feet. Will the target be out of focus to the point that it is noticeable? I do not want a blurry target.

Also, is the price premium buying me anything beyond an SWFA?

SWFA 3-15x
I read that this scope is solid, but when you get the zoom over 12x or so the quality degrades. Would I be better off with a fixed scope if I'm using it in that range?

SWFA 16x Fixed
I have read several comments that the the 16x has a less clear picture and less forgiving eye box than the 12x and 10x. But how does it compare to the 3-15x when zoomed in to 14x? I could also try the 12x if it's that much better. But I have a feeling I might like the extra zoom.

Are there any other 12x-16x scopes that offer parallax adjustment down to 50 feet?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You’ll definitely need the parallax to focus down to 50’.

I’m not familiar with what you are shooting at but it’s extremely hard for me to envision any free hand shooting scenario at 50’ where magnification greater than 9x would be an advantage. Have you actually tried a higher power scope for this application?

Depending on what you’re shooting, like field target or silhouette, the Mueller APV or APT, were good for the application.

Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 parallax down to 10yds. Way better than the variable SWFA I owned. I found the fixed versions better than the variable though.

I use mine on an airgun which I'm assuming what yours will be going on shooting so close?

SWFA 3-15x
I read that this scope is solid, but when you get the zoom over 12x or so the quality degrades. Would I be better off with a fixed scope if I'm using it in that range?

SWFA 16x Fixed
I have read several comments that the the 16x has a less clear picture and less forgiving eye box than the 12x and 10x. But how does it compare to the 3-15x when zoomed in to 14x? I could also try the 12x if it's that much better. But I have a feeling I might like the extra zoom.

I have both of those.

The 3-15X's image quality "degradation" above 12X is minor unless lighting is dim to begin with. The reticle is thicker than that of of the fixed power SWFAs but that makes it usable at lower magnifications (it's a first focal plane scope if you didn't know).

The 16X sucks. I'll just say it. It is noticeably worse in clarity, eye relief, and exit pupil than the 3-15X when the latter is set to 15X. It does have a nice and thin reticle.

If I had known that I would have bought the 12X for the same price. I can't imagine how much worse the fixed 20X is.

If you want a fixed power SWFA, do not get anything more powerful than the 12X. Of the two choices you've listed, the 3-15X wins every day and twice on sunday.