• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor or Mk 5HD?

Lurp06x

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Hello FNG here

Looking at getting a new scope and have my eyes on the Lupy mk 5hd 3.6-18 and the Vortex gen ii 3-18.

they are similar scopes but they are not. Vortex is a beef cake and the lupy is light and shorter.

Im leaning towards the Vortex because of the reticle and it comes with illumination. plus Vortex HQ is close by and the scope has a good reputation. But the Lupy is nice an light and I have only shot Lupy scopes most my life.

besides weight and lenght is there any other Reasons why I should consider the Mk 5HD? I would probably get the CCH reticle.

I currently have a Trijicon accupower 1-8 and I would like to keep the rifle in more of a DMR type set up but like to stretch out it’s legs every once and awhile hence the reason of replacing the accupower. The accupower has a really thick reticle too that I dislike. My rifle is a 16” LMT Mws308.

anyone have any experience comparing the two?

thanks

Reactions: required_user_name
I just put a MK5 3.6-18 on my LMT MWS. I really like it. I think it’s a perfect size/weight for a gas gun. I had a DMR2 Pro on it before and it does balance and feel better with the lighter MK5. I wanted to try to keep the weight down since the MWS is already on the heavy side.

Hello FNG here

Looking at getting a new scope and have my eyes on the Lupy mk 5hd 3.6-18 and the Vortex gen ii 3-18.

they are similar scopes but they are not. Vortex is a beef cake and the lupy is light and shorter.

Im leaning towards the Vortex because of the reticle and it comes with illumination. plus Vortex HQ is close by and the scope has a good reputation. But the Lupy is nice an light and I have only shot Lupy scopes most my life.

besides weight and lenght is there any other Reasons why I should consider the Mk 5HD? I would probably get the CCH reticle.

I currently have a Trijicon accupower 1-8 and I would like to keep the rifle in more of a DMR type set up but like to stretch out it’s legs every once and awhile hence the reason of replacing the accupower. The accupower has a really thick reticle too that I dislike. My rifle is a 16” LMT Mws308.

anyone have any experience comparing the two?

thanks
Without a doubt, the Gen2 Razor is better to me. Although the 3-18 weight is substantial enough for most to just go 4.5-27×56.
So if weight is an issue, go Leupold, if that's your only choices.

Tagging for opinions on this. I'm looking at the same two scopes for my new Grendel.

They are very similar scopes with minor differences. Weight would be the big deciding factor for me. I’d go with the mark 5 if I planned on carrying it. If it is more of match or fun gun I’d go razor. My 2 cents

I looked through both of these about a week ago, and honestly I liked the weight and feel of the MK5 more. I also like the reticle choices more in the mk5 as well.

Reactions: TheTrauma
if i had to Id go vortex for there warranty but neither is my preferred mag .hope which ever you choose it works out for you .

I looked through both of these about a week ago, and honestly I liked the weight and feel of the MK5 more. I also like the reticle choices more in the mk5 as well.
Which reticle did you like the most in the Mk5?

Which reticle did you like the most in the Mk5?

probably their illum pr-1moa.
Im definitely not against Vortex by any means (I own a pst ii and a db tactical), Ive just started liking a less busy scope lately. Something like the MOAR from NF, currently just picked up a steiner m5xi with the MSR. I did like the feel of the mk5 in my hands. I went thinking I would be sold on the vortex gen2 but left more confused after handling the mk5 honestly LOL. In regards to warranty, vortex is outstanding on that aspect! My hope is to never use a warranty as that means im down a gun or moving scopes over to compensate.

Reactions: Lurp06x
After reading all the posts of the Mk5's acting up, and my not-so-awesome experiences with Vortex, I have to ask, is Burris not an option? LOL!!! Cue @Birddog6424

The Burris xtr 2 are well built reliable scopes but the glass sucks compared to mark 5 and razor. I haven’t got to check out the xtr 3 yet but if the glass is on the same level as the scopes mentioned it would definitely be a option to consider

The Burris xtr 2 are well built reliable scopes but the glass sucks compared to mark 5 and razor. I haven’t got to check out the xtr 3 yet but if the glass is on the same level as the scopes mentioned it would definitely be a option to consider
I have a xtr3 in the 3.3-18 and 5.5-30 as well as the razor gen 2 3-18. I prefer the xtr for fov and weight. Illumination is a plus for the razor but as far as clarity it’s a toss up. The hues are warmer on the razor and Eye box is about the same. I Don’t really think about which glass is more crisp because they’re so close one or the other doesn't stand out.

Reactions: stupkat
I have a xtr3 in the 3.3-18 and 5.5-30 as well as the razor gen 2 3-18. I prefer the xtr for fov and weight. Illumination is a plus for the razor but as far as clarity it’s a toss up. The hues are warmer on the razor and Eye box is about the same. I Don’t really think about which glass is more crisp because they’re so close one or the other doesn't stand out.

I’ve heard good things about the xtr iii, I wish I could have looked through one when I bought my last scope. It was on my list of interest

What is reticle thickness like between the two 3-18s?
I'd like to buy a Razor but wish the EBR-7c reticle was a little thicker in the 3-18 model.

i own 2x gen 2 razrs and 2x mk5 lrupold is by far clearer brighter more reticle options just as good of warranty leupold is lighter in weight which might be less reziliant than the tank built razr but clarity and brightness i pick leupold hands down

I always thought leupold had a really good #Warranty to?

They created the warranty game.

So far I've never needed Leupold's warranty. I have no more vortex scopes because they all needed warranty.

You'll find plenty of people to claim the opposite. It is what it is.

I like the glass better, less eye strain for me. No idea why but all vortex optics feel like they're impossible to truly focus to my eye so after the warranty claims I ditched them all and have lived happily ever after.

Reactions: aljones_315
Good evening Gentlemen. Does anyone know the Close Focus for a Leupold Mark 5 HD 5-25 x 56 MOA Scope. Non Illuminated. PR 1MOA Reticle? Will it go down to 50 Yards? to 25 yards? and still have parallax correction?? Thank you. 4Certain

I've seen a lot of comparisons between the XTR3 and the MK5, including WJM's some months ago here on the Hide. There are a LOT of people who like the Burris better.

I know several guys in PRS who switched from the Leupold to the Burris. But folks continue to suggest the Leupy in these articles.

You're missing out on a great scope fellas.

So this past weekend, I had three guys out on my farm with a Kahles 6-24, a Razor 4.5-27, and a Mk5 5-25. We had them next to each other on a 636yd lane that looks into a very shady, wood line. Target is a 8x24" coyote about 10yds into the woods spray painted FDE and dark brown tiger stripes - i.e. a very tough target to see.

Razor sucked. I'm sorry, it wasn't close to the other two. Don't bash me fanboys, I'm just stating our experience with a very small sample size. Mk5 and Kahles, very similar, with outstanding visual image of the target.

Friend had to use Vortex warranty since it wasn’t tracking properly. But when it works, it looks good.

Last edited:
I would not put a razor on a MWS unless it is a dedicated bench/prone gun due to weight.

I view the 3-18 lightweight illuminated mk5/6 as the perfect optic for the MWS platform. However, illumination is really important to me, and the Leupolds definitely have a huge premium for the illuminated models, which has held me back. If you decide you can live without illumination, I would totally jump on the mk5.

Reactions: Lurp06x
I have owned and used both, I prefer the Razor hands down. I just didn't get along with my 5HD not really sure why.

Everything man made will fail at one point or another. I left Leupold a long time ago (because of Mk IVs constantly failing)and I was thinking about trying the MK5 but the price of illumination (yes I use it) was ridiculously expensive when it's standard on almost everything. I have use a lot of Vortex products and I had a failure with one of my Gen 1 PSTs, outside of that no failures. I really think the Gen 2 razors are hard to beat for the money.

Reactions: dragman
Thanks guys for the info.

how about the MK 6 3-18? It’s similar to the mk 5. Plus it’s a 34mm tube and I won’t have to buy a new Spuhr Mount then.