• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor quality?

Re: Vortex Razor quality?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NXS and the battery is burned up on the rheostat because I missed it being on too many times going into the case. A quick visual inspection before the gun goes in won't catch it. I haven't had the issue with my Premier because you can see from across the room when the rheostat is on.

This is a minor gripe. </div></div>

The "Auto Off" feature on the Razor is quite nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NXS and the battery is burned up on the rheostat because I missed it being on too many times going into the case. A quick visual inspection before the gun goes in won't catch it. I haven't had the issue with my Premier because you can see from across the room when the rheostat is on.

The "Auto Off" feature on the Razor is quite nice. </div></div>

There's an Auto Off feature...? Where's my manual...

John

Thats what I was wondering, I dont think it has an auto-off, didnt see it in the manual, maybe Scott or Sam can clear that up. When I received mine used the battery was dead, I know that doesnt mean anything, but I just assumed it got left on and killed it.

Let me ask you other Razor owners a question.

My zero stop, it will turn past my zero by half a click. Does anyone else have something like this? I may need to reset it, as I kindof set it all up in a cold excited hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think it has an auto-off, didnt see it in the manual... ...When I received mine used the battery was dead</div></div>

This is the only "Auto Off" I've found. Leave it on... battery goes dead... it goes off.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I hear the winner and 2nd place of Military class in the Mammoth shoot were running Razor's? </div></div>Yes, this is correct. Jeremy Parker placed first and Jeff Cramblitt placed second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NXS and the battery is burned up on the rheostat because I missed it being on too many times going into the case. A quick visual inspection before the gun goes in won't catch it. I haven't had the issue with my Premier because you can see from across the room when the rheostat is on.

The "Auto Off" feature on the Razor is quite nice.</div></div>

That is an awesome feature! BTW- I didn't learn the first time. I have been through two batteries already doing the same thing. I have been without illumination for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce is going the way of the dinosaur because they chose not to listen to their customers. I see this happening all of the time with well established corporations. I mean really- how long did it take Nightforce to realize that only 4 moa travel per turret rotation just wasn't going to get it? I wonder how many customers who suggested more clicks per revolution were ignored? How long have NF customers been wanting a Gen2 mil-dot reticle or better? Well you snooze you lose I guess. Perhaps they can turn things around if they wake up and start listening to their customers as Vortex has. </div></div>

So, you are saying that most optic companies listen to every desire of their customers? How long did it take for Leupold to match reticle to turret? Nightforce produces a great scope, and multiple reticles that fit the bill for many shooters. If you dont like the reticles or that it took a while to produce hi speed turrets, then move along. Hell I know many shooters that desire a zero stop and the Hensoldt does not have one. If you find the perfect optic, let me know because I have yet to find it. </div></div>

No- you are right- THE VAST MAJORITY of scope makers haven't been listening to their customers for a very long time! This is what has had my hackles up because I have known for a long time that someone could waltz in and steal a ton of market share! Is Nightforce going the way of the dinosaur? Probably not, but Vortex will make them bleed, and good on Vortex!

Just look at the reaction to the new Super Sniper CQ reticle shown on this site! Everybody loves it! I have been asking for a reticle just like that for years, yet the arrogant decision makers didn't listen.

By the way Chiller uses his Razor every match and I dont believe that it has ever given him problems. I believe that he owns 2 now.

Incidentally who is that chick in your video- and do you have her number?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja Pirtle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce is going the way of the dinosaur because they chose not to listen to their customers. I see this happening all of the time with well established corporations. I mean really- how long did it take Nightforce to realize that only 4 moa travel per turret rotation just wasn't going to get it? I wonder how many customers who suggested more clicks per revolution were ignored? How long have NF customers been wanting a Gen2 mil-dot reticle or better? Well you snooze you lose I guess. Perhaps they can turn things around if they wake up and start listening to their customers as Vortex has. </div></div>

So, you are saying that most optic companies listen to every desire of their customers? How long did it take for Leupold to match reticle to turret? Nightforce produces a great scope, and multiple reticles that fit the bill for many shooters. If you dont like the reticles or that it took a while to produce hi speed turrets, then move along. Hell I know many shooters that desire a zero stop and the Hensoldt does not have one. If you find the perfect optic, let me know because I have yet to find it. </div></div>

No- you are right- THE VAST MAJORITY of scope makers haven't been listening to their customers for a very long time! This is what has had my hackles up because I have known for a long time that someone could waltz in and steal a ton of market share! Is Nightforce going the way of the dinosaur? Probably not, but Vortex will make them bleed, and good on Vortex!

Just look at the reaction to the new Super Sniper CQ reticle shown on this site! Everybody loves it! I have been asking for a reticle just like that for years, yet the arrogant decision makers didn't listen.

By the way Chiller uses his Razor every match and I dont believe that it has ever given him problems. I believe that he owns 2 now.

Incidentally who is that chick in your video- and do you have her number? </div></div>

Bro, if I had her number do you think I would give it to you?
wink.gif
Her name is Shay Laren.

I agree, Vortex has slipped in and is grabbing a market that needs a company to listen and understand the true needs of the customer. If the Razor had a "Hi Speed" turret, it would be on my rifle. I love my Nightforce, but I always keep an open mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats what I was wondering, I dont think it has an auto-off, didnt see it in the manual, maybe Scott or Sam can clear that up. When I received mine used the battery was dead, I know that doesnt mean anything, but I just assumed it got left on and killed it.

Let me ask you other Razor owners a question.

My zero stop, it will turn past my zero by half a click. Does anyone else have something like this? I may need to reset it, as I kindof set it all up in a cold excited hurry. </div></div>

Yes, the razors will do that. I just set my zero stop at the last full click. It will turn past that point by a half click but as far as my zero goes I leave it on the last full click. It's repeatable and that's what matters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats what I was wondering, I dont think it has an auto-off, didnt see it in the manual, maybe Scott or Sam can clear that up. When I received mine used the battery was dead, I know that doesnt mean anything, but I just assumed it got left on and killed it.</div></div>

I will double check the Auto-Off. I was almost sure it has shutoff when I left it in the bag on, then turned back on when I bumped the rheostat to a different setting. Maybe I just bumped it to a half-click and had to get it back to a detent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My zero stop, it will turn past my zero by half a click. Does anyone else have something like this? I may need to reset it, as I kindof set it all up in a cold excited hurry. </div></div>

My T&E model came like that. I spoke with the Vortex Tech guys. Here is what I wrote about it in the review: http://www.8541tactical.com/Razor_HD_review.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8541tactical.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told that the sample that I have is one of the first production runs. It was not new and had some mounting wear when I first received it, but not much. One issue that I noticed when I zeroed is that the zero stop is one half click past the last click on the turret assembly. I contacted Vortex about this. They explained that this occurs on the far end of the tolerances when the turret was assembled. It has to do with the ball detent and the splines on the turret. When I originally zeroed the scope I turned the turret to the stop and then just turned it back ½ hash until I felt the click. This is where I set the true zero. After talking to Vortex on the phone I found that this is actually what they recommend if your turret has this issue. It’s a simple matter when I run the turret to the stop to allow it to seat into a full click instead of leaving it against the stop.

Vortex did inform me that they have tightened the production tolerances on this piece and that very seldom does a Razor HD with this issue ship. However if you receive one and it bothers you, they will fix it under warranty. In reality it is such a non-issue that I didn’t even bother contacting Vortex about it until I began writing this review. I would not go to the trouble to send the scope back to correct it unless I was shipping it back for damage repair or another issue.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NXS and the battery is burned up on the rheostat because I missed it being on too many times going into the case. A quick visual inspection before the gun goes in won't catch it. I haven't had the issue with my Premier because you can see from across the room when the rheostat is on.

The "Auto Off" feature on the Razor is quite nice.</div></div>

That is an awesome feature! BTW- I didn't learn the first time. I have been through two batteries already doing the same thing. I have been without illumination for a while. </div></div>

The battery issue has been brought up before.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=189377&Number=2114804#

Scott said he was going to look into it. Scott, any updates?

After seeing a Razor on a friends rifle,I sold my NF NXS,and don't miss it a bit.It's just designed alot better.Some of the things I like about the Razor over the NF are;
Magnification adjustment does not turn the scope cap with it,which alway's made it get in the way of something.
Better reticle designs.
Much better reticle illumination adjustment.
Better glass (in my opinion)
Zero stop is great!
I have found no issue with eye relief on max magnification like some people report.I think most of it is from guy's mounting their scopes like a typical scope,but the Razor has 4" of eye relief,I found if you mount the scope farther away and give it the proper eye relief,there is no issue with it.

After shooting my dad's (thanks Ross), I can say they're very good. Not perfect, but very good.

I love the EBR-2. The turrets are nice, big, have positive clicks. It tracks well...the whole 9.

As usual w/Vortex, you get your money's worth.

I don't have one of there scopes, but do have the razor binos. I am not overly impressed with the glass. I had an eyecup come loose and the center adjustment knob isn't working right. I have sent Vortex 2 email in the past month and a half. Haven't got a reply from them yet. As you can imagine I am not pleased with there customer service. JMTCW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have one of there scopes, but do have the razor binos. I am not overly impressed with the glass. I had an eyecup come loose and the center adjustment knob isn't working right. I have sent Vortex 2 email in the past month and a half. Haven't got a reply from them yet. As you can imagine I am not pleased with there customer service. JMTCW </div></div>

Considering this contradicts everything I've ever heard about Vortex I'd double check that you're sending it to the right email address. Have you bothered to call them?

Emails can wind up in spam folders.After a month why not pick up a phone? I've called a few times and recieved the info needed promptly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think its the right email address I clicked on there contact us link from there website. </div></div>

It's hard to take you seriously when you haven't even bothered calling them. They have an excellent reputation for customer service; how about you give them a chance before bashing them on this thread? My (educated) guess is that they'll take care of you.

I have two Vortex scopes. When I needed their customer service - it was there for me (I called, and used PM on this forum). My opinion: Vortex is A+ and GTG. And that's besides the fact that their scopes (well, I have experience only with Razor HD) are great (IMHO).

catt tracker if I were you I would pick up a telephone. I never trust email contact for something important, ever.
I have looked thru a pair of Vortex Razor binos and I was thoroughly impressed personally. Are they Swarovski EL's no but for less than 1/2 the price they are way better than 1/2 the quality by a long shot IMO. The Swarovski EL's are lighter, a little bit brighter and function like silk, but again for the cost difference, I don't think that there is a better value on the market at this time. You get what you pay for almost always, but the Razor 10X50's that I used were extremely nice, especially for the price.
Vortex CS is the finest on the planet and they will make the situation right. What bino's in the same price range have you used that you compared these too by the way. I have not found any that offer the quality and performance short of the EL's (I have never tried the best of the Zeiss line though), but again we are talking over twice the cost.

Im surprised no one informed boltripper yet about how Razor equipped rigs took first and second place in the Mammoth Sniper Challenge last week in the military rifle division.

Also have to add a +1 to just picking up a phone and calling Vortex. If you have problems with your binos they will take care of them at any cost, so at least call them before trying to make them sound bad on a public forum.

The are not open when I am off work that is why I used email. I called last night and left a voice message, so I guess I will see next week.
I bought these binos for a trophy mule deer hunt based one what I had heard of there great customer service. They broke the second day of my hunt so I only had 2 mornings to really use them. The only bino I compared them to is the Leupold gold ring which the guy I was hunting with used. First light in the morning the gold ring is better. I am not saying they are better binos just that in low light we could both see better with his gold rings. Maybe I got a bad pair, so after they are fixed I will start my own thread to let everyone know.
I have used email to contact Leupold and SWFA with no problems, so you that say email doesn't work I have not had problem with it before. I work long hours and and usually can't make calls during business hours. I will let you all know next week if they return my call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im surprised no one informed boltripper yet about how Razor equipped rigs took first and second place in the Mammoth Sniper Challenge last week in the military rifle division.

Also have to add a +1 to just picking up a phone and calling Vortex. If you have problems with your binos they will take care of them at any cost, so at least call them before trying to make them sound bad on a public forum. </div></div>

People have and all is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The are not open when I am off work that is why I used email. I called last night and left a voice message, so I guess I will see next week.
</div></div>

That's weird. I don't use any of their products but when I was shopping around for a scope I didn't find it particularly hard to get them on the phone.

If I were you I'd have boxed it up and sent it in already, their shipping address for warranty repairs is on their website. Just send it with some sort of insurance + tracking to make sure it gets there.

Have you tried calling them after 4PM? The are open from 9-4 and I am not around a phone then. I am not going to just send them in until I talk to someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only bino I compared them to is the Leupold gold ring which the guy I was hunting with used. First light in the morning the gold ring is better. I am not saying they are better binos just that in low light we could both see better with his gold rings. </div></div>

If you thought that the Leupold were better than the Razor's the Razor's were seriously broken. Never seen a pair of Leupold bino's that came close to the quality of Razor bino's in any aspect glass, operation, feel, etc. Vortex will take good care of you.

When I called them I think it was 8-9am, west coast time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not going to just send them in until I talk to someone. </div></div>

Why? Look on their website, they have a downloadable repair form and warranty return address for a reason. Fill out the form, box it up, send it with tracking + insurance (should be about 15$ total UPS, USPS, Fedex, yadda yadda).

There are two Vortex reps on this site you can get ahold of also. Scott_at_Vortex and Sam@Vortex are their names on the site. Might be tough over the next week with SHOT going on but worth a try if you can't get them on the phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The are not open when I am off work that is why I used email. I called last night and left a voice message, so I guess I will see next week.
I bought these binos for a trophy mule deer hunt based one what I had heard of there great customer service. They broke the second day of my hunt so I only had 2 mornings to really use them. The only bino I compared them to is the Leupold gold ring which the guy I was hunting with used. First light in the morning the gold ring is better. I am not saying they are better binos just that in low light we could both see better with his gold rings. Maybe I got a bad pair, so after they are fixed I will start my own thread to let everyone know.
I have used email to contact Leupold and SWFA with no problems, so you that say email doesn't work I have not had problem with it before. I work long hours and and usually can't make calls during business hours. I will let you all know next week if they return my call. </div></div>

catt tracker

Check your PMs

The info I sent should get your Razor’s taken care of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried calling them after 4PM? The are open from 9-4 and I am not around a phone then. I am not going to just send them in until I talk to someone. </div></div>

Catt,

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Razor.

I've been on the road for the last couple of days to SHOT. I know you called and left a message, but if you want to PM me your contact info I will make sure it gets to the right people in the CS department to get you taken care of.

Thanks.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hows that for service, driving to Las Vegas from Wisconsin and answering warranty calls on a forum!</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have one of there scopes, but do have the razor binos. I am not overly impressed with the glass. I had an eyecup come loose and the center adjustment knob isn't working right. I have sent Vortex 2 email in the past month and a half. Haven't got a reply from them yet. As you can imagine I am not pleased with there customer service. JMTCW </div></div>

Catt_tracker,
As Sam said we are very sorry that you are having problems with your bino's. I am not sure why your emails were not answered,but our server is tempermental with certain email addresses. We do our best to sift through the spam folders, but I am guessing that some(very few hopefully)get by us. I dont know if it will help at all ,but I am generally in the office no later than 6am CST and there is usually someone here until 4:30 or 5:00 mon-fri. Of course this coming week is a little different as I along with quite a few of us will be at SHOT. If you would like you can send the bino's to my attention and I will personally get this taken care of for you when I get back from SHOT (next mon or tues).

If you want to do this just box them up with a note to remind me what the problem is and your return address and send them to:

Vortex Optics
attn Scott
2120 West Greenview Dr
Middleton WI 53562

Scott

Thanks. I have them boxed up and will ship them out Monday morning. Sam and Scott you both have PM's also. Thanks, Ben