• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 thoughts.

RanchhandTCR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Williams, AZ
I picked these up off a hide member several months ago. Ive been struggling with the use of spotting scopes for match use and hunting both of which I am heavily involved in, especially this year since I drew two tags in Arizona. I already owned a set of Razor HDs in 10x40 but they were lacking the magnification for 500+ yard spotting. My hunting partner picked up a set of of the 12x50 UHD and shortly after I got acquired the 18x56 set. Now a spotting scope can fill the needs of a hunter or shooter easily, although to me a spotting scope has two draw backs. First being field of view with the single eye piece. Second was the absolute size and weight of most spotting scopes. Now if you are expecting me to say these are as high quality as a pair of swaros, that is not the case. Now I cant say im an optical engineer(clearly not) also I am not swayed by "influencers oppinions" but I have been spoiled with good glass and wont settle for a $300 pair of diamondbacks and rather just try products out to form my own oppinion. The low light capability of the UHD line is pretty phenomenal, easily picking out Couse deer before the sunlight even touches them. The ability to see the slightest movement even thru some heavy brush is just breathe taking and made me feel like Ive cheated my self for way to long with low magnification optics, the resolution and contrast is a 9/10 way better than the Kibab 18s. Ive owned a Leupold gold ring 12-40 but anything past 20 magnification seemed useless and dark and the eye strain from staring thru a single eye piece was annoying and never was able to spot a hideing animal. The resolution of the glass in the gold ring was just to subpar for hunting to me. Now I know there are guys with Leupold Mk4 and goldrings just laying hate every day...just not this guy. The contrast, clarity of the UHD definetly makes it the best binos that Vortex offers. Where they give the lead to Swaro is with the edge clarity and the contrast of the optics, colors just pop out so well in Swaros. Now I am going to go back and bat for Team Vortex, obviously their VIP warranty is hard to beat especially since I seam to beat my optics to death. But their pouch/carrier was a 90% knock out of the park. You can chose to use the pouch as a chest rig or remove the straps and strap it to your pack. 18x bino are not very usefull with out the use of a tripod (no shit). 10 and 12's are much better suited for off hand glassing. Pouch comes with an additional zipper pouch you can mount forward of the bino pouch to carry spare munitions or admin supplies such as pens or your hunting tag. Where they failed on the pouch especially with the 18's was the cover which is hard to set securely over the binos and Idont have 100% faith it wont slip off while maneuvering under Mesquite or Juniper tree's. Thats my quick spout about the UHD line your looking for a quality set of binos but not yet willing to shell out the cash for Swaros, Leica or who ever else makes magical glass. I attached some phots of Couse deer that ranged from 340 yards to 660 yards.

Attachments

• 20201017_081646.jpg
    20201017_081646.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 329
  • 20201017_081402.jpg
    20201017_081402.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 20201017_064859.jpg
    20201017_064859.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 404
I’m stuck between between the 12x and 18x. Any down sides or obvious issues with the 18x for PRS? Thinking 18x may be a bit much.

I’m stuck between between the 12x and 18x. Any down sides or obvious issues with the 18x for PRS? Thinking 18x may be a bit much.
I have zero issues useing the 18s for PRS even for transition from target to target. If you want to see as much as possible the 18s are the way to go. The 12s left some desire on the table still a great optic, but i run two sets of binos instead of binos and a spotter. 10s and 18s.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I have zero issues useing the 18s for PRS even for transition from target to target. If you want to see as much as possible the 18s are the way to go. The 12s left some desire on the table still a great optic, but i run two sets of binos instead of binos and a spotter. 10s and 18s.
No issues seeing vapor trails at 600yards or so?

I got the 18 UHD when they were first released. Been using them as a RO for PRS style matches which can be 7 hours on glass. With stages ranging from 300-700 yards. The Swarovski have a slight edge on contrast and color but not enough to justify the significant cost difference at least to me.
D9174073-9994-4C5E-94CE-397F4BF27A90.jpeg
CB05006B-7A97-426F-89FE-59630C6766D2.jpeg
7AF3F8CE-6F50-4368-8E19-003D819C612D.jpeg

I was dead set on the 18x, but ive read that the quality difference of the 12x and 18x is something to consider. These will be used 100% for matches on a tripod, so really the concern would be the clarity. Someone who has time behind both give me your thoughts on the 12x's vs 18x's.

I was dead set on the 18x, but ive read that the quality difference of the 12x and 18x is something to consider. These will be used 100% for matches on a tripod, so really the concern would be the clarity. Someone who has time behind both give me your thoughts on the 12x's vs 18x's.

Just RO/Spotted for TPRC earlier this month out to 1000+ yards. Hunted couse deer all useing 18s. The clarity is so close to being a swaro i cant see a 1400 difference between the two other than knowing you can say you own swaros. My hunting partner ans BFF i guess owns the 12 uhds and he wishes he bought the 18s over the 12s at times. There seems better clarity in the 18s but i feel that is because of the magnification of the optic pulls more detail.

Just RO/Spotted for TPRC earlier this month out to 1000+ yards. Hunted couse deer all useing 18s. The clarity is so close to being a swaro i cant see a 1400 difference between the two other than knowing you can say you own swaros. My hunting partner ans BFF i guess owns the 12 uhds and he wishes he bought the 18s over the 12s at times. There seems better clarity in the 18s but i feel that is because of the magnification of the optic pulls more detail.

Really?? Huh.. thats actually the 1st time I've heard someone say the 18s were better than the 12s. That makes me feel better ab wanting the 18s

Really?? Huh.. thats actually the 1st time I've heard someone say the 18s were better than the 12s. That makes me feel better ab wanting the 18s
Id make sure someone is not confusing the 18 kibabs for the 18 uhds. The kibabs sucked in my oppinion. Ive been extreamly pleased with the uhd 18s

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
What didn't you like about the Kaibabs? I've only played with them in a ztore, but they seemed like they were decent enough. Like a higher mag version of the Vipers.

That'd be no good up on the strip. Light there gets funny early. Thanks!

I have had the 15, 18, and 20 Kaibab. Sold them all. Had the 12x50 Razor HD. ended up with Leica 12x50. I chose clarity over magnification. I carry a Kowa 553 spotter and my 12s. If not, I would carry 10s and 15/18 hunting.

For glassing animals, I would pass on Kaibabs. For matches, they would work fine.

The 18 Razor have me curious based on reviews. Might be good enough for glassing animals. But, I am spoiled on clarity.

I have had the 15, 18, and 20 Kaibab. Sold them all. Had the 12x50 Razor HD. ended up with Leica 12x50. I chose clarity over magnification. I carry a Kowa 553 spotter and my 12s. If not, I would carry 10s and 15/18 hunting.

For glassing animals, I would pass on Kaibabs. For matches, they would work fine.

The 18 Razor have me curious based on reviews. Might be good enough for glassing animals. But, I am spoiled on clarity.
I hate spotters so this is why i picked the 18 uhds. Clarity is not a concern with these series of binos. Pic was 580 yards, and it doesn't do justice but there are couse deer under that bush

Attachments

• 20201024_113112.jpg
    20201024_113112.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: BLKWLFK9