• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor

RingingSteel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
Caldwell, Idaho
Has any of you heard of excessive failures with the Vortex Razors? Two out of three I have been associated with have had major problems. One with a faulty seal allowing moisture in and the other with a parallax adjustment failure on the first trip to the range.

Re: Vortex Razor

Send it back. Best warranty in business. Vortex probably has the best customer service in the scope industry. I will continue to buy Vortex products.

2 out of 3 and your from Idaho. Buy local-Nightforce.

Solid scope for the money, although a friend did have trouble with the parallax adjustment...I think the rings ended up being the problem....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RingingSteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has any of you heard of excessive failures with the Vortex Razors? Two out of three I have been associated with have had major problems. One with a faulty seal allowing moisture in and the other with a parallax adjustment failure on the first trip to the range. </div></div>

We are very sorry that you are running into issues and hope we can help.

The only times I have ever seen a problem with the parallax adjustment is when the rings are over tightened or rings that are not very true. The other is when the objective has been broke loose by someone physically twisting on it which will throw the parallax out of adjustment. The latter I have only seen twice. It is usually caused by the sunshade being screwed on to tight or cross threaded which causes it to gall and wont come off without some serious gorilla man hands which in turn could,albeit very rare, break the objective cell threads loctite loose and inadvertently screw the parallax out of adjustment.

If you ended up getting moisture in your scope it would literally be the second one I have heard of/or seen and maybe the one I saw was yours, so possibly only one.
Now I am not saying that it can just be dismissed, but we do have right around 3000 Razors out there now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ETA:</span> Turns out the one you are speaking of is the one and only one I have seen that wasnt sealed properly(pinched O-ring). The owner of that scope is a very good friend of mine.

We really do our best to be as honest and upfront with our customers as we possibly can. That being said, I feel very good about telling people that our Razor 5-20HD is a very,very durable riflescope that has next to zero problems.

Obviously, I am a little bias, but for those that know me I think they will tell you I am very honest about this stuff(sometimes a little too honest:) ).

All this being said, If anyone ever is not happy with their Vortex purchase we will do what ever we possibly can to make you happy.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions or concerns about anything.

Scott

Now thats service! It is very cool to see the manufacturers going and working with their customers like this.

And I have had 0 issues so far with my Razor but rest easy knowing that if there were an issue that it would get fixed by Vortex's customer service... Now if they could just get some more EBR-2B's built!

Running a Razor HD here, and no complaints. It gets shot in F-Class and tactical comps, which is when it gets banged against barricades and rained on. No issues here.
Got one on a hard-kicking airgun, held up so far.... and it's scope number seven or eight on this rifle. Airguns are brutal on cheap scopes.

1911fan

2 out of 2 work flawlessly on 308 Win and 338 Lapua correspondingly. Also used as carry-handles for these rifles.
smile.gif

One (my first) initially had a problem with zero-stop. Probably it was user's fault - neither I nor the person who helped me had any experience with Razor or this kind of zero-stop setting. So likely did something wrong. Anyway, the scope went in for service, came back fixed, no issue or problem since (two years now). The other one was smooth from the beginning. Both later went in for ocular upgrade (free) and reticle replacement (changing EBR-2 for EBR-2B).

After these two years I feel confident enough with Razors that I'd take them to the two-way range if need be, and rely on them for more than punching paper.

<span style="font-style: italic">While EBR-2B is better than EBR-2, I wish Vortex made 0.1mRad subtends on it instead of 0.2mRad, to make milling easier and more precise.</span>

I am a lucky owner of a Vortex Razor HD, after a few range trips I am very happy with mine. I got mine from Scott at Liberty Optics. I also own a Nightforce NXS and over the Nightforce I like the illumination setup with the Vortex, the Vortex turrets are also better for me with audible clicks and lastly the color is sharper at full magnification with the razor.

My buddy's Razor also had a parallax issue NOT associated with rings or ring torque. Rather, the objective lens was not properly positioned, and achieving focus at 150-200 yards took up all parallax knob travel...meaning knob was in the infinity position for 200 yard targets.

Vortex promptly sent a new one, no issue whatsoever.

Thanks for the input guys. To be honest I had decided to purchase a Razor until this last weekend when one of our shooters had the parallax issues. A failed seal allowing moisture in can happen to any manufacture. Especially when it was in the middle of a Texas down pour. The glass is great and I know for a fact that their customer service is excellent. I just would hope that I wouldn't have to use it. It would be cool to use one for a year and put it to the tests shooting a minimum of one practical precision match per month rain or shine. Not to mention the thousand plus practice rounds sent down range.

I just can't justify spending $2000.00 for a scope with the issues I have seen. I was very disappointed with the construction of the parallax adjustment. The tiny little slot headed screws holding the knob reminded me of what I have seen on Chinese made scopes for 1/10th the price. Lets face it three years ago no one knew or cared who Vortex was. It only makes sense to me to spend a little more cash and go with a American made time tested product and then you won't have to worry about using customer service.

When someone tells me that the best thing about a company is their customer service that sends a red flag up to me. I would rather hear that it is the best bang for the buck.

+1 for Scott @ Vortex. He took great care of me when mine had a problem due to shipping. He caught my thread here on the Hide and hand walked my scope all the way to the finish line.
I couldn't be a happier Vortex customer!

My Razor had a few cosmetic issues, but nothing mechanical.

I sent it back and they gave me a new one since it was quicker than repairing it.

Only issue with the new one is the parallax and power ring were hard to move when I went shooting at -4ºF
wink.gif
. Worked fine once it thawed out again.

Time to get a cat tail for that situation.

Awesome people to deal with. I've seen Scott@Vortex poking around in the forums, which is great to see. I've dealt with someone else directly and have to say I'm very pleased with their service and commitment to their customers.

Hope they are quick to get my scope fixed, My Razor's parallax just wont adjust! it will focus fine but the crosshairs will move from side to side when moving my eye around.

You are adjusting parallax, not actually focusing the target. In most cases your target will not be in perfect focus when the parallax is gone.

Mine works for me, but at a different setting than where it is marked. On a side note, I just noticed that I need glasses for the first time in my 50 years, I am getting fitted in a week.

they are great people. drive by the place twice a week. my razors have been great. used to run nightforce. there is a reason i switched

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are adjusting parallax, not actually focusing the target. In most cases your target will not be in perfect focus when the parallax is gone. </div></div> At no point throught the adjustment knob is the parallax really gone with my Razor. My PST works perfect but this one's got me pissed! Im not really sweating it, I know they will take care of me.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Razor. Please tell me this stuff is worked out. 2K is a lot to drop on a scope when you are a working man.

I'm planning on the 35mm aluminum rings as well.

Any other issues I need to know about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any other issues I need to know about?</div></div>
Yeah the Razors have consistently gotten great reviews on here and other forums. Vortex CS has gotten the same. I had been researching for a high quality optic for over a year before recently buying my Razor, and to say the least I wasn't disappointed. I had originally bought a 4-16PST and it was as good as my MK4 optically, and everything else on the PST was better. Me being me I wanted glass that gave me the wow factor so I sent it back and got the Razor. I'm glad I did to. Now if the 5-2X F1 Nightforce had of been out and in the same price range then I might be telling a different story, but I really like the open center reticles. So maybe not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enough Said</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to pull the trigger on a Razor. Please tell me this stuff is worked out. 2K is a lot to drop on a scope when you are a working man.

I'm planning on the 35mm aluminum rings as well.

Any other issues I need to know about? </div></div>

I just got one from Liberty Optics a week and a half ago and couldn't be happier. I also own a Nightforce and I am putting the Razor on my match rifle if that tells you anything.

I got mine about a month and a half ago and absolutely LOVE it. What a phenomenal piece of equipment. After the way Vortex's customer service has taken care of me in the past, they are now my "go to" optics company. If they make a product for my need, then that's what I buy.

I only have one, but I have beaten the piss out of it. Turrets are rashed, the finish is scratched. It works flawlessly even after bouncing off concrete after being knocked off a table.

The only time I sent it back was for the eyepiece upgrade. It was back inside a week. I would have no problem buying another. I just wish they would reduce the size of those monster turrets.

I have shot Nightforce, Premier, Schmidt & Bender and the Vortex Razor. The Razor is what I'm using and will continue to use. I did have to use the customer sevice repair once, might of been my fault from the numerous matches it was abused in. I don't know for sure. I do know that when I sent it in, the customer service is better than advertised.
You can buy with confidence knowing you're getting a great product and full support from Vortex.
Dave

Bought my PST from a seller here & have been nothing but happy with it. Glad to see Scott stepping up, does nothing more the re-enforce my liking for the company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcrich</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are adjusting parallax, not actually focusing the target. In most cases your target will not be in perfect focus when the parallax is gone. </div></div> At no point throught the adjustment knob is the parallax really gone with my Razor. My PST works perfect but this one's got me pissed! Im not really sweating it, I know they will take care of me. </div></div>

Just to let everyone know. I received bcrich's scope on Friday. It was indeed one the two things that I have ever seen that I mentioned above. Somehow, I can only speculate, the thread locker on the objective lens was broke loose and the objective had been turned which in turn inadvertently adjusted the set objective parallax(kind of like an adjustable objective scope, but not suppose to be adjustable on side parallax scopes).

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me anytime.

Scott

Thank you Scott, when I heard your message I think I was the happiest sob ever! Glad you found the problem and cant wait to get back in the saddle with that 338LM. Your service is just like everybody has said.....best in the business.