• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vortex scope

23mlq14.jpg

bdws91.jpg

I love mine. Great warranty. Great glass for the price. Shot 5 shot 5/8 inch group at 200 yards with it. You'll love it. You can always get your money back with it. Get it and don't look back.

Might be a better question for the optics sub-forum... I have one on my custom 223 and it tracks well, holding its zero while targeting steel from 100-1000 yards. The glass is more than good enough for that task.

As for CS from Vortex, out of the 6 scopes I have with the vortex viper label only one has had to be serviced and it was one of the first 4-16 PST's that landed here in the US. After two years and constant use on a 308 (somewhere between 1000 and 2000 rounds fired) I had the reticule come loose and start a slow clockwise rotation. I contacted Vortex and shipped it off. In four to five days time (including the weekend) I had the same scope back not only fixed and in better condition than when I sent it in. Not an ounce of problem since and I have about twice the round count of 223 under it now. Vortex is a stand up company!!! Someone, no doubt, worked on it over the weekend to get it back to me that fast. Yeah the glass isnt Schmidt and Bender quality but Id rather have six vortex scopes than one that cost the same as all six.

Last edited:
Lots of thoughts on the Vipers that have been discussed at length. In short, they have fans and they have haters. Check the optics section for more info.

I asked same question, was told they were good, bought one and have to say Im very impressed! You wont be disappointed at all, best bang for the buck out there IMO. All my other scopes are March and Nightforce if that tells you something of what Im used to :)

I've got one Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST and two 6-24x50 HST scopes and they are all just incredible scopes for the money. The glass, reticle, turrets, tracking, eye relief, you name it...it's all good. All of my Viper scopes are MOA/MOA and SFP. The main difference between the PST and HST is the illuminated reticle in the PST.

I had also heard very good things about the Sightron scopes so I recently ordered one of those in 6-24x50 to try out. In a nutshell, It's going back and I'll be ordering another Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST. The Sightron was pretty good but man was the eye relief finicky! Getting the parallax adjusted properly was a pain the a$$! Lesson learned? Next time I'm just going to order another Vortex!

23mlq14.jpg

bdws91.jpg

I love mine. Great warranty. Great glass for the price. Shot 5 shot 5/8 inch group at 200 yards with it. You'll love it. You can always get your money back with it. Get it and don't look back.

Toast, great lookin' rifle! How are you liking the PRS stock? I have one on my DPMS GII SASS and I'm really diggin it so far. Heavy, but definitely worth it for a Semi Auto Precision Rifle.

I love mine. It has held zero and tracked great out past 1000 yards and back and has been beaten up on a couple hunts. I have numerous Vortex products and they all perform great.

However.....I am saving my pennies for a Nightforce.

For the price it's not a bad scope, I rolled with one for a while, but I've become spoiled with S&B and other higher grade glass and going back to one is just tough for me. Ignorance is bliss though, if you don't spend a bunch of time behind high end glass you'll never know what you're missing.

I bet the glass difference is huge though!!!
I hope so! If not the bushnell xrs is looking good lol. I just received my pst 2.5-10x32 for my ar15! Ive had the 6-24x50 and my buddy just got the 4-16x50 pst. From what I can tell and remember, the 2.5-10 has the best glass. Im super impressed with it. The 4-16 isnt as good as the 6-24 from what I can remember. Kind of weird how scopes in the same line have diff glass qualities. Also my 2.5-10 showed up damaged. This was on tuesday. Had a new scope at my door on thursday! Cant beat that.

Yeah, the Vortex thing pops up a lot, lovers and haters. I couldn't be happier with mine; I'm running a Razor on my match gun and a Diamondback on my hotrodded airgun. The airgun ate several scopes due to the different recoil before the Diamondback went on, and it's held up for three or four years now.
Best bang for the buck in optics, IMHO, and if you're saving your pennies for a NF start watching for a takeoff Razor HD 5-20, because now that the 4.5-27 is out people will be upgrading and deals will be out there.

I took a NF 5.5-20X50 off my match gun to put the Razor on, by the way. Love it!

1911fan

I've had several failures with the 6-24 pst and hs. Out of the box new, with failures. Oil on internal lenses(4 scopes), reticles would rotate with power change(3scopes). The 4-16 hs's that i have or had were all decent. I still have one on a spr build. The 2.5-10x44 was a nice little scope but there was a blurriness all along the reticle, in every direction from center, that extended out past the ends of the hashes . The razor i had was good, glass was about par with my dmr and less then my swfa 5-20sshd. I have 2 dmr's and 2 5-20SS to compare to. The illumination crapped out on the razor also, but in fairness the only illuminated scope that i owned that wasn't a letdown was my nf. I would avoid the pst and hs on anything much bigger then a 308. Plenty of issues with braked 300wm and 338lm. My friends 20 lb 338lm destroyed a pst in less then 30 rds. I was doing load work ups for him and the scope started shifting poi/poa by 2-4". Took off the optic and shook it, could actually hear it rattling. Stuck a simple 6.5-20 vx3 long range on it(that loopy scope had 4-5000 rds trouble free) and finished load work plus another100 rds without issue. Vortex is very friendly and courteous for repair work. I've owned nf, leupold Burris,bushnell, SS , trijicon, and ior. All ran equally hard, the only scopes i've had to send back was vortex and some repeatedly. To be fair every manufacturer can turn out a lemon, but my experience leads me to stay away from 6-24 vortex scopes.

Yeah huge difference, but difference class of scopes. Each one dominates its class, I think, in terms of what you get for the $$$$ though

I just gotta decide whether I want ebr1c or 2c, I'm leaning towards 1c and have seen both your and rob01s pics, still uncertain and don't wanna regret my decision

Toast, great lookin' rifle! How are you liking the PRS stock? I have one on my DPMS GII SASS and I'm really diggin it so far. Heavy, but definitely worth it for a Semi Auto Precision Rifle.

You know, I am not that big on the PRS stock. A regular A2 fits me really well. My scope is so low, I can't raise the cheek piece. No reason to add length either. Therefore, it is probably the last one I'll every buy. But it is solid and very nice. Definitely no complaints.

I just mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on my Model 70 Stealth 2 days ago. Crystal clear optics and I love the variable IR. Hoping to hit the range with it this week.

I have one and like the above poster said "great warranty" because I sure needed it. My scope lasted the first time for probably less than 50 rounds and the elevation internals went out and were replaced. Worked good for around 100 rounds and last week I went to make a come up in elevation and found that the knob was completely disconnected. It's back for repairs now.
This scope is mounted on a 30/06.

Regards, Keith